Whats the best value for money race drink to have in your pack ?

Sven137

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the facts, make up your own mind

Most athletes are under the mistaken impression that they should drink during exercise to avoid dehydration. However, humans are well adapted to withstand dehydration and the evidence for an impairment of exercise performance as a result of dehydration is not convincing. The primary requirement of an energy drink is to provide energy in the form of carbohydrates.

At the start of exercise, the body contains a limited store of carbohydrate energy. The liver contains approximately 100g of glycogen and muscle stores of glycogen add approximately 500g depending on body size and training status. During moderate and high intensity exercise, carbohydrates provide the majority of energy to working muscle. As exercise intensity increases above the lactate turnpoint, carbohydrates use increases exponentially.

Without additional carbohydrate supplementation, the available energy stored would last for only 60-90min during high intensity exercise.

Consuming carbohydrates in the form of a drink, gel or energy bar provides extra carbohydrate, delaying the depletion of liver and muscle glycogen stores and preventing the onset of fatigue.

The key factor in designing an energy supplement is therefore providing the most rapidly digestable and absorbable form of carbohydrate energy.

Most athletes are under the mistaken impression that they should drink during exercise to avoid dehydration. However, humans are well adapted to withstand dehydration and the evidence for an impairment of exercise performance as a result of dehydration is not convincing. The primary requirement of an energy drink is to provide energy in the form of carbohydrates.

At the start of exercise, the body contains a limited store of carbohydrate energy. The liver contains approximately 100g of glycogen and muscle stores of glycogen add approximately 500g depending on body size and training status. During moderate and high intensity exercise, carbohydrates provide the majority of energy to working muscle. As exercise intensity increases above the lactate turnpoint, carbohydrates use increases exponentially.

Without additional carbohydrate supplementation, the available energy stored would last for only 60-90min during high intensity exercise.

Consuming carbohydrates in the form of a drink, gel or energy bar provides extra carbohydrate, delaying the depletion of liver and muscle glycogen stores and preventing the onset of fatigue.

The key factor in designing an energy supplement is therefore providing the most rapidly digestable and absorbable form of carbohydrate energy.

There is a large body of evidence to the contrary..........

Guys, please be careful for a lot of these so called 'energy drinks'! A number of them contain Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO).

Dihydrogen monoxide:

• is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

• as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

FAKE SCIENCE!

It's disgusting.

Before all the scientists come out to play, anybody use this "Jeukendofr" (Sp) home mix which contains

1/2 cup Maltodextrin

6 1/2 teaspoons Fructose

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt

mixed with 1lt water.

Anyone?

Please share said evidence 

I know it's Friday, but I'm not looking for a fight. (Not only because I don't eat popcorn)

For evidence, search LCHF for starters.

I know it's Friday, but I'm not looking for a fight. (Not only because I don't eat popcorn)

For evidence, search LCHF for starters.

With all due respect, tried it 3 times and never been slower.

Had a proper go the last time with a LCHF committed coach in conjunction with Atkins.

Still have plenty literature at home. Art & Science or Low Carb performance etc and a ketone testing kit. Should probably stick it in the classifieds.

Until such time as a new human engine is invented we need CHO at high intensity efforts.

With all due respect, tried it 3 times and never been slower.

Had a proper go the last time with a LCHF committed coach in conjunction with Atkins.

Still have plenty literature at home. Art & Science or Low Carb performance etc and a ketone testing kit. Should probably stick it in the classifieds.

Until such time as a new human engine is invented we need CHO at high intensity efforts.

Midpacker

I mix plain old Game with Rehidrat.

Jip, half sachet Game, little rehidrate or Himalayan crystal salt (and a teaspoon Whey Proteien if its a looong ride)

I eventually figured out its only my fitness level that determines any race's outcome...