Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Grease Monkey with stats like that  I think we might both be right in the middle of the e-bike target market. Don't waver - be strong .... eat the cheese burger and keep pedaling,,,,

Haha no, not at all. The gap between us is just so big that it's not a little bit of slowing down. He has an FTP of 450W (EDIT: I overstated, it's 415W to be exact), me 250. He weighs 80kg, I weigh 105kg.

But that's not actually why I think it was so great today. He landed at 12, earliest start we could do was 1:30PM, he could only ride till about 4:30PM - so it was more about the fact that we could do all the nice trails in a very short time span.

For me an ebike will be a full on downhill rig that I can shuttle on. I don't see it ever replacing my normal bike - but it is nice for those times you only have a short time - before or after work and doing DH type runs is your flavour....

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An unequivocal and resounding NO!!

Change the thread.... The mostly unanimous decision after 2000 posts is 'Yes, but not in races'.

New Thread topic.... 'Do road E-Bikes deserve to exist?'

Grease Monkey with stats like that  I think we might both be right in the middle of the e-bike target market. Don't waver - be strong .... eat the cheese burger and keep pedaling,,,,

I am reading this chowing down on a brownie and coffee special from Merkava (coffee shop next to my work). Aint no chance of me not eating the cheese burger any time soon hahaha

Bru FTP is the most lied about number on the planet. More even than d!ck size. 250 is enough to get up the hills.

Change the thread.... The mostly unanimous decision after 2000 posts is 'Yes, but not in races'.

Honestly the way the the trend is going for ebikes and gravel bikes, give it a couple of months then everyone is going to start raving about road ebikes as well.

Probably come a time when everyone will have a eMTB and an eGravelBike and those human powered pedal bikes will be looked upon in the same way as single speedsters on the mountain do today

Edited by YaseenEnos

Honestly the way the the trend is going for ebikes and gravel bikes, give it a couple of months then everyone is going to start raving about road ebikes as well.

Probably come a time when everyone will have a eMTB and an eGravelBike and those human powered pedal bikes will be looked upon in the same way as single speedsters on the mountain do today

nah, there'll always be a space for "normal" bikes. There's still somewhat of a rush when you clear something that's been bugging you for ages, under your own steam. I reckon that the average "quiver" of bikes will have a short travel 100-140mm "normal" machine and then a gravity centric e-bike. 

this is more a case of 'do dwisses belong on the mountain' rather than e-bikes... what a pity for all parties

Maybe the thread should be re titled "Statistically speaking,do eBikes  permit more dwisses to be on the mountain than ever before?" 

Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I have the same opinion as you on the roadie ebike, for my personal use. Nee dankie. 

But exactly the same arguments can be used against e MTBs. There is even MTB on Zwift now.

But exactly the same arguments can be used against e MTBs. There is even MTB on Zwift now.

The MTB on Zwift is just there to stop you from blowing your brains out whilst cycling indoors. No one who rides on zwift thinks of it as real cycling. It's a cycling specific workout. Nothing more. Zwift makes you stronger for cycling. it isn't cycling

Let's not have all the Zwift haters on here spewing cr@p. There are enough haters on here already.

The MTB on Zwift is just there to stop you from blowing your brains out whilst cycling indoors. No one who rides on zwift thinks of it as real cycling. It's a cycling specific workout. Nothing more. Zwift makes you stronger for cycling. it isn't cycling

Let's not have all the Zwift haters on here spewing cr@p. There are enough haters on here already.

Pfffft!!!

Zwift is the future.... You can ride with other people, race other people..... It's basically the next step in never having to actually leave your house and interact with real people.

It's like whatsapp for cycle addicts. 

Imagine, uCook, PnP and Woolworth deliveries, On line shopping, Zwift, a treadmill and some mail order brides in the basement and you would never need to leave the house... ever.....

sounds like polititian speak there .... "mostly" certainly contradicts "unanimously" ....

The only  "unanimous" feedback is that ebikes should not impact race results.

The unanswered question being, when should they start to keep their impact to a minimum.

Edited by ChrisF

It's basically the next step in never having to actually leave your house and interact with real people.

How do I go to real places? Amazing ones. But do so in a way that I don't have to interact with people? 

Now THAT's an app.

Pfffft!!!

Zwift is the future.... You can ride with other people, race other people..... It's basically the next step in never having to actually leave your house and interact with real people.

It's like whatsapp for cycle addicts. 

Imagine, uCook, PnP and Woolworth deliveries, On line shopping, Zwift, a treadmill and some mail order brides in the basement and you would never need to leave the house... ever.....

Well, this is a good thing. There are lots of people that should NEVER leave their houses.... :P