Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/15/2024 at 3:16 PM, Brakepad said:

digging this out again, Aspen in Colorado (US) has banned ebikes on their trail network.
They say ebikes are too fast, dangerous and too many....

r/ebikes - Aspen, Colorado

seems like it's not universally popular,

sums up my opinion perfectly

image.png.03481ba953439e8e4a2365853f8491f2.png

people should start minding their own business and stop caring what other people want to ride. If you want to ride an ebike, then I'm the first one to support that. The fact that you're on a bike should be all that matters. I don't have one, and won't have one any time soon, but that doesn't mean I am entitled to shout at someone who does ride one. 

sometimes people just suck. and this is one such time. 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

sums up my opinion perfectly

image.png.03481ba953439e8e4a2365853f8491f2.png

That second post really sums it up perfectly, sadly so.

And the real irony, as posted previously in this thread .... it is the RIDER that's a chop, irrespective of the bike.

But it is mostly easy to recognise an ebike, and the whole is measured by the actions of the culprits.

Reminds me of a cheeky chirp i got to spew a few weeks ago haha. (All in good fun though)

A group of a few ebikes were on the same trail. Hitting the bottom, the one’s bike gooi’s a ‘blue screen of death’. Just doesnt want to boot up or reset….and all of them started pushing their 25kg lumps back up with the disabled one. I couldn't help myself as we merrily pedalled our amish bikes past all of them….” If only you rode bicycles I snickered”😊😅.

..Met with embarrassed laughter. 

Luckily they saw the humor in it. Probably the only time ill ever pass that many e-bikes up a hill.

Edited by MORNE

I have never had an  issue with an E-bike (the pedal kind, restricted to 25km/h)

I wouldn't buy one, unless I cant pedal properly under my own steam. 

At this year's go2berg E-bikes were welcomed, and there was an E-bike rental service. Arrangements were made for spare batteries to be available at the water points. This opened the event up to a whole lot of riders, who would otherwise not be able to ride this event. 

The E-bikes were not part of the competition. 

Their etiquette on the trails were impeccable, and I had no issues being held up on the singletrack or the downs. A lot of this had to do with the organisers setting the trail etiquette at the onset of the event. A lot of the E-bike riders were not that technically proficient on the trails, and they accommodated the other riders well.

Having not trained for the event, I envied the E-bike riders who zoomed up the climbs with little effort and trying to stick with them into the headwind to try and get some reprieve ended in burning matches we didn't have.

But at the end of the event, the sense of accomplishment my riding partner and I felt completing the ride under our own steam, was tremendous.