Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Saw the Scott ebikes at the lab yesterday, those things looked huge, would be a bit *** if you get a flat battery on the trails with these, looks proper heavy to ride with pap battery.

Perhaps thats why all those bullets were keeling over in the Netherlands.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure but emotorbatterybikes have the ability to go fast beyond human only bikes so the riders will need to be a little extra careful.

but that's why we have Youtube... isn't it?

Sure but emotorbatterybikes have the ability to go fast beyond human only bikes so the riders will need to be a little extra careful.

I can only gather that you have never used one. Maximum speed on e bike or  MTB will always be achieved going downhill, e bike are no faster than normal bike downhill. If you going to be riding outside your ability on a e-bike you are also going be doing the same on a normal bike, the only difference being that the e-bike is much safer than a normal bike because of the bigger tires and heavier weight.

I can only gather that you have never used one. Maximum speed on e bike or MTB will always be achieved going downhill, e bike are no faster than normal bike downhill. If you going to be riding outside your ability on a e-bike you are also going be doing the same on a normal bike, the only difference being that the e-bike is much safer than a normal bike because of the bigger tires and heavier weight.

I meant flats and ups. DH is mostly based on rider skill.

Heaven help the ebiker trying to use 250w on a DH!

Edit: Hold on - how is an ebike safer because it is heavier?

Edited by Eldron

Saw the Scott ebikes at the lab yesterday, those things looked huge, would be a bit *** if you get a flat battery on the trails with these, looks proper heavy to ride with pap battery.

Perhaps thats why all those bullets were keeling over in the Netherlands.

They didn't keel over they are being run over by cars, normally at that age they would not be be on bikes, they would have been sitting in front of the telly waiting to die I'm not sure which is better. If you have grade 6 math's, you can work your ride out, so that your battery don't run out, it's simple watts in watts out with these bike's. 

If you are going to use your motorbike on the trail please don't use Strava (or at least hide your ride from the segment leaderboard).

There is a Strava category for e-bikes, why are there none for road bikes opposed to mountain bikes or for that matter bikes that cost over R 100 000.00 and under R 100 000.00 after all we know how much difference weight makes.

Still the biggest problem with this is ego. The ebiker who cannot resist the competition but who can't ccept that he is not a pure cyclist, and the pure cyclist who doesn't like the feeling of being passed by Uncle Bob if Uncle Bob is acting decently on the trails.

If both groups accepted that both have different uses and stuck within some logical behaviour all would be well.

But that's just happy thinking... Meanwhile I have strapped an outboard to a dugout and entered a local surfski race. Let's see what happens

I also dint like the rider on his full carbon 29er passing me on my 90tees chrome moly 26er but he chose to spend his money and I didn't. We all have choices in life.

Edited by GP-EB

I also dint like the rider on his full carbon 29er passing me on my 90tees chrome moly 26er but he chose to spend his money and I didn't. We all have choices in life.

I have news for you .... you were on the nicer bike!

Not "safer" but more stable at speed and over the chunder.

'the chunder'? Man I'm getting old .....

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

i only have one problem with ebikes....if he passes me on the way up the hill and then holds me up on the way down the single track trail ...then im pissed 

The couple I've seen / followed have been piloted by good riders and there was nothing slowing them down at all on the single track. Good riders ride good, bad riders ride bad what ever bike they are on.