Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to the furor after races when wannabes sit behind their ebike mates for a 100km draft. 

Motors and humans in one race is silly.

It's already happening, personally witnessed it in one recent road race.

I say if it has a motor you don't get an official finishing time because...well...You haven't actually finished - you only rode a part of the course - the motor did the rest.

I'm all for ebike only races where you tune your bike and the best tuner/rider combo wins but to put motors in a human powered sport is just silly.

There is no pride in riding half a race.

My opinion of course. If they want an eslackers category its their decision. I will still consider all non medical Emotorbikes riders to be sub human:-)

it's way more nuanced than that. did you finish the race if:

if you're a 12yr old kid stoking a tandem with dad

if you sat in the bunch the whole way catching zero wind

if you got a helping hand up the hills?

Ariane-Kleinhans-WithErik-120519FSC530.j

it's way more nuanced than that. did you finish the race if:

if you're a 12yr old kid stoking a tandem with dad

if you sat in the bunch the whole way catching zero wind

if you got a helping hand up the hills?

Ariane-Kleinhans-WithErik-120519FSC530.j

Yup. Drafting is always going to be an issue in road racing. Motorbikes will add another fun aspect to it all.

It's part of the reason I stick more to Duathlon and MTB these days. Far less winging and drafting.

That's said - road racing in Denmark is pretty awesome. Its hard, tough and FAST. There is a reason why a country that has zero hills and only 6,000,000 inhabitants is churning out pro tour riders by the dozen!

Edited by Eldron

That's said - road racing in Denmark is pretty awesome. Its hard, tough and FAST. There is a reason why a country that has zero hills and only 6,000,000 inhabitants is churning out pro tour riders by the dozen!

My memories of cycling in Denmark when I lived there was that there was always a headwind. Whatever direction you cycled. I also had the one hill in the country to cycle up getting to Roskilde station on my way home.

My memories of cycling in Denmark when I lived there was that there was always a headwind. Whatever direction you cycled. I also had the one hill in the country to cycle up getting to Roskilde station on my way home.

So true on the wind - coming from Joburg (with thinner air) means the wind feels extra strong here!

I ride to Roskilde often - one of my favourite routes. I raced a duathlon at Hedeland round the corner not so long ago too. Nice area!

In Germany the normal ebikes are limited (by software) to max 250w and 25km/h. When it hits that the rider must go over it with is own ability. You can buy stronger / or setup stronger motors but then you need a little license for insurance purposes and the bike is actually classified as a light vehicle.

My mate has a bike with that restriction. For 10 pounds he bought a unit that clips on the bike and persuades it somehow that it is only doing half the speed it thinks it is, thus he gets 50k/h before he loses the motor

My mate has a bike with that restriction. For 10 pounds he bought a unit that clips on the bike and persuades it somehow that it is only doing half the speed it thinks it is, thus he gets 50k/h before he loses the motor

I did the same thing with a japanese import years ago. Remove one "magnet" off the wheel so the sensor only sees half the signals. No more 250kmh limiter. Tiday!

Quick ride review...

My Stumpy's frame is cracked, and my hardtail's wheels are being rebuilt, so I am currently without a bike. So this weekend I borrowed my dad's turbo-levo. Went for a ride with my wife yesterday, she is unfit at the moment (slower than me on a normal bike), and is new to cycling so I rode with her the whole time. Needless to say, I thought the e-bike was a complete waste as I put in literally ZERO effort to get to the top of Helderberg (at my wife's pace).

This morning I decided to go see what the bike is really capable of as my only reference was yesterday and a few minutes here and there on the bike a couple of times before. I headed out to Helderberg and put the bike on Eco mode (with 40%) assistance. I got used to the way the bike felt very quickly as my normal bike is a Stumpy and the levo is pretty much a Stumpy with a motor. 

This thing is SERIOUSLY fun, and FAST! I got up the mountain in about 30mins compared to my normal 55mins or so (faster than anyone else on Strava - don't worry I did mark this as an e-bike ride so the times won't go onto leader boards). The thing I like though was not so much how fast I could get up the mountain, it was how much fun I could have doing it - where I am normally panting and gasping for air I was cruising up, launching over roots, wheelying, and just fooling around. 

And yes, you can fool yourself by cruising up the mountain slowly - but you can also push hard and get the same workout in as you would on your normal bike - you'll just cover twice the distance.

On the way down I was a bit frustrated because the clutch on the derailleur is worn out and I kept dropping the chain, but from the few times I could open up and let go of the brakes I realised that the extra weight gives you a serious amount of stability. Jumps are a bit harder, but still possible - it might just take some getting used to. I found the Guide R brakes to be lacking in power - I would spec some 4 pot callipers on a bike like this. The tyres (Maxxis Ikon+ and Rekon+ were not aggressive enough and I would replace with Spaz Butcher 2.8" immediately if this was my bike). Other than that the spec is bang on - the Yari fork is great, and the fox float is good. GX 11 speed is also good, but I'd prefer the 7 speed e-bike drivetrain - 11 gears on a bike like this is just not necessary at all.

So bottom line - what's my opinion on e-bikes (based on the Spaz Turbo Levo Comp alu version)? I LOVE THEM. I am not going to be replacing my bike with it - ever. BUT, if I had the spare cash lying around I would want one for the following reasons:

- I can do 2 runs of Helderberg in an hour - top to bottom, where I can usually only do one. Ideal when you only have short periods of time. And yes, when gassing it up it is just as much a workout as a normal bike - my heart rate was very high.

- It makes the climbs enjoyable (in a different way than being in the pain cave)

- You can load the bike up with every aggressive and heavy part your heart desires because weight doesn't matter.

- IF I were ever to get an e-bike it would be one with a ton of travel - a coil shock and fork, seriously aggressive tyres, and some monster brakes. 

Why would I not get one?

- They can get you into trouble - you do single track at twice the speed you usually do and can run out of skill before you blink. I don't think these bikes belong in the hands of beginners. 

- Unless all your friends also have e-bikes you are going to be riding on your own.

- It's not as flickable and fun when the trail points down.

- They are expensive to maintain - chains need to be replaced often, and batteries go for 14k a pop - you will cry when it comes time to replace yours.

- Limited time spent on the bike because of battery life (although this isn't too much of a drawback as I would want the bike for when I only have an hour or two to ride) 

- People judge you - seriously - people look at me like I just ran over their dog when I ride past them.

Anyway, that's my 2c worth. I can't wait to get my bikes back so I can ride again, but in the mean time I will be enjoying my dad's Levo!

EDIT: My 2c on e-bikes in races...

Should NOT be allowed ever! Even in their own categories. I did a race a while back where this one lady was on an e-bike, she overtook me on every hill, then we would get to single track downhill and she went snails pace - caused massive bottle neck and would not let anyone pass. Once I eventually got past it was fine... but then on the next hill she comes cruising past and we sit with the same situation on the next bit of single track all over again. 

If people wanna race e-bikes, they should have their own events, on at the very least, their own routes that are not shared with people on normal bikes.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Quick ride review...

My Stumpy's frame is cracked, and my hardtail's wheels are being rebuilt, so I am currently without a bike. So this weekend I borrowed my dad's turbo-levo. Went for a ride with my wife yesterday, she is unfit at the moment (slower than me on a normal bike), and is new to cycling so I rode with her the whole time. Needless to say, I thought the e-bike was a complete waste as I put in literally ZERO effort to get to the top of Helderberg (at my wife's pace).

This morning I decided to go see what the bike is really capable of as my only reference was yesterday and a few minutes here and there on the bike a couple of times before. I headed out to Helderberg and put the bike on Eco mode (with 40%) assistance. I got used to the way the bike felt very quickly as my normal bike is a Stumpy and the levo is pretty much a Stumpy with a motor. 

This thing is SERIOUSLY fun, and FAST! I got up the mountain in about 30mins compared to my normal 55mins or so (faster than anyone else on Strava - don't worry I did mark this as an e-bike ride so the times won't go onto leader boards). The thing I like though was not so much how fast I could get up the mountain, it was how much fun I could have doing it - where I am normally panting and gasping for air I was cruising up, launching over roots, wheelying, and just fooling around. 

And yes, you can fool yourself by cruising up the mountain slowly - but you can also push hard and get the same workout in as you would on your normal bike - you'll just cover twice the distance.

On the way down I was a bit frustrated because the clutch on the derailleur is worn out and I kept dropping the chain, but from the few times I could open up and let go of the brakes I realised that the extra weight gives you a serious amount of stability. Jumps are a bit harder, but still possible - it might just take some getting used to. I found the Guide R brakes to be lacking in power - I would spec some 4 pot callipers on a bike like this. The tyres (Maxxis Ikon+ and Rekon+ were not aggressive enough and I would replace with Spaz Butcher 2.8" immediately if this was my bike). Other than that the spec is bang on - the Yari fork is great, and the fox float is good. GX 11 speed is also good, but I'd prefer the 7 speed e-bike drivetrain - 11 gears on a bike like this is just not necessary at all.

So bottom line - what's my opinion on e-bikes (based on the Spaz Turbo Levo Comp alu version)? I LOVE THEM. I am not going to be replacing my bike with it - ever. BUT, if I had the spare cash lying around I would want one for the following reasons:

- I can do 2 runs of Helderberg in an hour - top to bottom, where I can usually only do one. Ideal when you only have short periods of time. And yes, when gassing it up it is just as much a workout as a normal bike - my heart rate was very high.

- It makes the climbs enjoyable (in a different way than being in the pain cave)

- You can load the bike up with every aggressive and heavy part your heart desires because weight doesn't matter.

- IF I were ever to get an e-bike it would be one with a ton of travel - a coil shock and fork, seriously aggressive tyres, and some monster brakes. 

Why would I not get one?

- They can get you into trouble - you do single track at twice the speed you usually do and can run out of skill before you blink. I don't think these bikes belong in the hands of beginners. 

- Unless all your friends also have e-bikes you are going to be riding on your own.

- They are expensive to maintain - chains need to be replaced often, and batteries go for 14k a pop - you will cry when it comes time to replace yours.

- Limited time spent on the bike because of battery life (although this isn't too much of a drawback as I would want the bike for when I only have an hour or two to ride) 

- People judge you - seriously - people look at me like I just ran over their dog when I ride past them.

Anyway, that's my 2c worth. I can't wait to get my bikes back so I can ride again, but in the mean time I will be enjoying my dad's Levo!

Should NOT be allowed ever! Even in their own categories. I did a race a while back where this one lady was on an e-bike, she overtook me on every hill, then we would get to single track downhill and she went snails pace - caused massive bottle neck and would not let anyone pass. Once I eventually got past it was fine... but then on the next hill she comes cruising past and we sit with the same situation on the next bit of single track all over again. 

If people wanna race e-bikes, they should have their own events, on at the very least, their own routes that are not shared with people on normal bikes.

Good post and spot on.

Well written G.M.

Yesterday afternoon Maritz and I did a ride at Meerendal.  From the Pumptrack we take that steep hill heading towards Dorstberg - though we turn right were it cuts the track from Stairway-to-heaven.

I stopped to check my backtire .... sludge worked and I could continue.  But now another father and son had passed us .... teenage son with tons of energy !!!  He would literally do a loop while his dad did the shortcut and they would meet up later ....

The son motored up that steep section and waited at the turn to Burry Stander.

The dad was labouring away .... and Maritz (6 years and 11 months) passed him ..... okay, Maritz ran out of steam and walked the last section .... still got to the top before the other gent.

Think I saw what is coming my way as I head closer to 60 as Maritz reaches his prime .....  As nice as it was to see Maritz power the first section of that hill .... I know what is coming my way ....

For the next year or two I should be able to hang on ....

better start saving for that ebike .....

Well written G.M.

Yesterday afternoon Maritz and I did a ride at Meerendal.  From the Pumptrack we take that steep hill heading towards Dorstberg - though we turn right were it cuts the track from Stairway-to-heaven.

I stopped to check my backtire .... sludge worked and I could continue.  But now another father and son had passed us .... teenage son with tons of energy !!!  He would literally do a loop while his dad did the shortcut and they would meet up later ....

The son motored up that steep section and waited at the turn to Burry Stander.

The dad was labouring away .... and Maritz (6 years and 11 months) passed him ..... okay, Maritz ran out of steam and walked the last section .... still got to the top before the other gent.

Think I saw what is coming my way as I head closer to 60 as Maritz reaches his prime .....  As nice as it was to see Maritz power the first section of that hill .... I know what is coming my way ....

For the next year or two I should be able to hang on ....

better start saving for that ebike .....

That is of course one of the pros I forgot to mention - being able to ride with people much fitter than you (Something you may experience with your son in a few years by the sounds of it). The reason my dad got the e-bike is to spend more time with my mom. She can ride an Epic in her sleep while my dad is very overweight.... They can now ride together. Of course the real fix os for my dad to lose weight and get fit - but that's not gonna happen, so at least he is out riding and doing something! 

Quick ride review...

Why would I not get one?

What are you doing?!?!? Don't you know this is no place for a considered and rational post of the original thread. You crossed the line by actually riding one and having the temerity share that experience. Just like 29 vs 26 vs 650b or clips vs flats or road vs dirt the rules at you pick a random, unfounded, opinion and just be a tool about it!