Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please learn how to reply in the same block as the quoted text, instead of in a different post...

Almost there...

Seems you're hitting post, before you've actually posted. Can't be a tapatalk issue, otherwise we'd have seen it with other members. 

I regard myself as a rational person, high in empathy for others, willing to see multiple perspectives on a variety of issues, not prone to snap judgements or unreasonable prejudices ...

But when I see someone cresting chappies on his ebike an automatic involuntary piece of bigotry escapes my lips ....

"Pussy" I mutter into my beard.

Coke all over my keyboard and screen right now! That post made my evening hahaha

This whole eBike thing is a development from mountain biking into a new sport. It is great for who likes it. But not everybody does like it. I don't like it. I am out there for a lot of reasons, and my reasons just don't gel with the concept of a motor.

To allow eBikes into our trail networks is debatable, and there is always the argument about the handicapped person enabled to participate at our great sport, or the 'weak' wife able to ride with her 'fit' husband. To be honest I haven't seen the 'handicapped' eBiker yet. I am sure they are there but there are certainly not many of them. And my better half was furious about the other argument.

Most eBikers I know are loving it for the new sport it is. More shredding for the time out there. Faster up the hill, more downhill time. Fair enough. For this reason I think that trail fees for eBikes should be at least double of us mortal bikers, for the same argument. More trail use, more maintenance, simple logic.

And eBikes in races - is most idiotic idea ever. It is a different sport so have different events. I will not be able to appreciate the war storys of an eBiker, nor will he appreciate mine. The whole flair of an event is simply down the drain, the minds divided. Keep it separated. But I know this will not happen. Industry has too much interest in tapping into the pedal bike market so they want to mix up and exposure...a great pity in a way...

And eBikes in races - is most idiotic idea ever. It is a different sport so have different events. I will not be able to appreciate the war storys of an eBiker, nor will he appreciate mine. The whole flair of an event is simply down the drain, the minds divided. Keep it separated. But I know this will not happen. Industry has too much interest in tapping into the pedal bike market so they want to mix up and exposure...a great pity in a way...

You want a separate event? Enjoy! 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/177256-e-bike-four-cross-xc-short-course-eliminator-series/

Ebiking is not the same sport as XCO mountain biking in the same way that judo isn't karate, F1 isn't rallying and Nordic skiing isn't ski jumping. Even tow-in surfing isn't the same as normal drop in surfing but it does allow you to take the big waves. And if surfers can understand that at Tea'hupoo or Jaws then why not ebikers at the local bike park? (Except surfers have now gone back to trying drop ins into the big stuff because they want a challenge, it seems)

But they all provide fun for their participants and are all perfectly valid recreational pursuits.

Ebiking is not the same sport as XCO mountain biking in the same way that judo isn't karate, F1 isn't rallying and Nordic skiing isn't ski jumping. Even tow-in surfing isn't the same as normal drop in surfing but it does allow you to take the big waves. And if surfers can understand that at Tea'hupoo or Jaws then why not ebikers at the local bike park? (Except surfers have now gone back to trying drop ins into the big stuff because they want a challenge, it seems)

But they all provide fun for their participants and are all perfectly valid recreational pursuits.

Nice analogy. This is why a toe-in surfer would be frowned upon at the Pipeline Classic...it is a different sport that blooms at different conditions or locations...

Nice analogy. This is why a toe-in surfer would be frowned upon at the Pipeline Classic...it is a different sport that blooms at different conditions or locations...

great analogy. Because there was never ever any turf war over who is right and who is wrong with tow in surfing [massive sarchasm]

great analogy. Because there was never ever any turf war over who is right and who is wrong with tow in surfing [massive sarchasm]

The mistake you make is saying that one is right and that one is wrong. That’s not the case, they are different, and therefore need to compete in different categories.

One for the haters, from the archives.

Toppie cleans past the riders on his ebike.

Edited by Abdoujaparov

That's not an ebike - THIS is an ebike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxsABSnEvA

It's the evolution of the ebike - you don't even have to "pedal assist" this one!

Whilst googling this evolution I came across an offroad version, and guess what - you don't even have to charge it. Looks dam capable too. I think they call them "Moto X" bikes. You think I can race it?

Whilst googling this evolution I came across an offroad version, and guess what - you don't even have to charge it. Looks dam capable too. I think they call them "Moto X" bikes. You think I can race it?

For sure. I've heard that the extra weight is so devastatingly huge that the motor makes almost no difference :-)

One idiosyncrasy I love is that motor bikes have engines but are not called enginebikes, ebikes have motors but are not called motor bikes!

Each to their own - ride what you like but race what is fair.