Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

E-Bikes aren't coming, they are here already and they're pretty impressive machines. Whether you like them or not is irrelevant, they appeal to a certain demographic and they’re selling well so clearly the demand is there.

For now you might be able to distinguish them from other bikes due to battery pack size but very soon battery technology will be so good that they'll look like a normal bike and short of having the trail police inspecting bikes out on the trails, you'll have no idea they're even out there riding with you.

Your Strava stats are doomed, enjoy it while you still can.

Is e-biking the newest new golf?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pointing out that you are wrong about e-bikes. 

Patch's post directly above yours, last line sums it up perfectly.

Interesting little point is that in the last 6 months e-bikes have outsold regular bikes in the Netherlands. The future is coming, doesnt mean you have to embrace it and use one, but being annoyed by it will get you nowhere.

The gist of my post was that they're not cool. I.e. you have no bragging rights when riding one - not that riding any bicycle gives you bragging rights though, but less so on an e-trail bike. 

Of course E-bikes will have it's place, somewhere, but let us not give it too much credit yet in mtb-ing - we might end up regretting that somewhere in the future.

Drawing a comparison to Netherlands bike sales is also kinda flawed. A LOT (I don't have the numbers to say whether it's in the majority or not) of people commute on their bikes over in Europe - so it would only be natural for e-bikes to be popular as a means of easier transport.

But out on the trails...keep it real.

I think an e-bike is great for long adventurous rides on holiday..........or so that your Wife can keep up with you and FINISH OFF your marriage  :whistling:

fixed.

For me it's more about the shared experience.

Don't really care about the mechanical device per se.

Which has two sides to it.

1. It would be great for my someone like my 80 year old Dad, (who rides a rigid 26er every day), to be able to spend a day with me on the trails I ride. E - Bike is the only way that's going to happen. So great. Shared experience.

2. But someone taking an E- Bike onto the trails and thinking he's ridden them is different.

Maybe he had an absolute blast, and that's cool, but he's doing something other than mountain biking.

I can't relate to his experience, and he can't relate to mine.

yes they belong on the mountain dont see why not if the rider has a handicap he should not be deprived of the trails  :clap:

yes they belong on the mountain dont see why not if the rider has a handicap he should not be deprived of the trails  :clap:

And if you don't have a handicap, other than a very heavy wallet to carry around?

I know it is off topic, but I would not mind a e-bike as a commuter :)

Perfect as a commuter and you can add huge lights to it as well.

Interesting - I sort of skimmed the debate with my coffee thinking that most of the reason we ride MTB's is to get the exercise and go where powered machines cannot. Then fly downhill; or think we fly.  I don't strava - waaaay too slow.

But Myles' post made me think. Imagine cruising up to the top of enduro (or downhill for some - not me!) runs under power (assistance)! Very lekker indeed. :clap:

Maybe pop that front wheel over a rock or two; power up that steep single track or thick sand that catches you out most times (wheelspin?). Could be seductive.

Would like somthing like this though

47d082d3b352eba2038fabf0659616f8.jpg

3000w_VE_Scrambler_-_available_at_Electr

Ja that thing costs the same as an ACTUAL cruiser motorbike + an ACTUAL beach cruiser bicycle.

according to one of the okes I ride with sometimes (Wayne Schell of Ride Rate Review on youtube) it's an absolute hoot. Instead of doing one or 2 contermanskloof mast laps in a typical ride, he'd be doing min 3. And getting better DH times 'cos he's fresher. Not much fresher, 'cos you still have to pedal, but fresh enough to make it a little better 

And no, the motor won't really kick in on the downhills unless you're coming out of a corner and even then it's not really that much assistance over the one or 2 pedal strokes you'd make normally to get you up to 25kph. 

Agreed that the throttle controlled ones shoudln't be allowed. They're E-Moto's. Not emtb's. 

I - too - like to spend the equivalent of a shuttle vehicle on one extra run.

They allow my 75 year old mother-in-law to join me on the trails.

They allow my fat mate to get off the couch and keep up.

Paaaalease.... pull the other one.

The reality is this, e-bikes will get more and more powerful, someone will work out how to side step the pedal assist, and we'll land up sharing the trails with what are essentially electric MX bikes.

It's going to happen, and then what will happen is that venue owners will have to make a call on whether admit everyone or differentiate between leg power and battery power.

You as the consumer will then be able to choose who you want to share trails with.

I know where I'd be spending my money.

Because while many of you will be perfectly nice okes on an e-bike, there'll be a whole bunch of tjops who'll arrive on the scene who you most definitely won't want to be around.

And that's speaking as someone who used to mess around on MX bikes. They're flippin' fun but a completely different dynamic to the general MTB scene.

Having said this, I'm utterly and completely in favor of electric commuter machines.