Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

I don't understand the particular problem so many folk seem to have with E-bikes. More people riding surely increases the viability for riding areas to be attractive business solutions? So what if the guy next to me is on an e-bike. Enjoy and see you later from some coffee/beer/pizza etc.

And if there are additional people needing/demanding/crying out for more trails and access would that not be harder to ignore by authorities/stake-holders/land-owners etc. I understand that there is some concern around the trails and damage done, but that can surely be managed.

What am I missing here? Whether guys are on pedal cycles/pedal assist/fully electric/fully petrol I don't really care. Share the trail, we can all have a laugh. Bit of mutual accommodation from all sides and everyone's' a winner winner.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I - too - like to spend the equivalent of a shuttle vehicle on one extra run.

Yeah but I wouldn't consider one as an additional bike. I'm not in the world of being able to drop ~ 80k on a whim. 

If I were in the position of buying a new bike, I have to be honest and say that one of the Levos would be on my shortlist. I'd be silly to dismiss it out of hand. BUT. I wouldn't buy it just to get another lap... 

If you remove the physical strain out of cycling, it becomes less enjoyable, because you miss out on the endorphin rush. The addictive part of cycling, for me. 

So whilst it makes sense as a commuter option, I'm not convinced that it will last on the trails or ever be considered a part of the sport. At some point, you are going to look at the guys on the unassisted bikes and just feel a little inferior. Sure, it might be fun, but that's what they said about fat bikes as well. Cool if you have the spare cash to have one standing around, but do you want to do it every weekend? 

I don't understand the particular problem so many folk seem to have with E-bikes. More people riding surely increases the viability for riding areas to be attractive business solutions? So what if the guy next to me is on an e-bike. Enjoy and see you later from some coffee/beer/pizza etc.

And if there are additional people needing/demanding/crying out for more trails and access would that not be harder to ignore by authorities/stake-holders/land-owners etc. I understand that there is some concern around the trails and damage done, but that can surely be managed.

What am I missing here? Whether guys are on pedal cycles/pedal assist/fully electric/fully petrol I don't really care. Share the trail, we can all have a laugh. Bit of mutual accommodation from all sides and everyone's' a winner winner.

a counter argument to the above, could be that having to manage / maintain the trails to suite the e-bikes would cost more, this extra cost would also have to be carried by the conventional cyclist?

If you remove the physical strain out of cycling, it becomes less enjoyable, because you miss out on the endorphin rush. The addictive part of cycling, for me. 

So whilst it makes sense as a commuter option, I'm not convinced that it will last on the trails or ever be considered a part of the sport. At some point, you are going to look at the guys on the unassisted bikes and just feel a little inferior. Sure, it might be fun, but that's what they said about fat bikes as well. Cool if you have the spare cash to have one standing around, but do you want to do it every weekend? 

What makes you think you're still not working on an e-Mtb? You may be able to go faster up the hills, and do more distance in the same time, but you've still got to pedal the thing.

For example - the Levo will only ever MATCH what you're putting into the pedalling. 100% assistance is just that - it matches what you put out. That's on the max setting. And it's 250w assistance. Take it from the people who ride the things - they still make you work!

a counter argument to the above, could be that having to manage / maintain the trails to suite the e-bikes would cost more, this extra cost would also have to be carried by the conventional cyclist?

No additional cost at this point. Not until they start wheelspinning out of corners. IMO the back brake brigade does far more damage to the trails than an e-bike with a responsible rider. 

Nee.

Do some reading, dude.

Of course, we then reach the inevitable question of trail erosion. Some people have suggested that an e-bike may be less damaging to the trail, because the power is delivered more smoothly, eliminating some of the harsh acceleration that digs into the ground, but there is no evidence to support this right now, so let's consider this bull**** until someone proves it otherwise. However, any argument that e-bikes cause more trail damage is pretty much sewn up with IMBA's 2015 findings of their study on trail erosion: "Results from the field experiment show that, under this set of conditions, soil displacement and tread disturbance from Class1 eMTBs and traditional mountain bikes were not significantly different, and both were much less than those associated with a gasoline-powered motorcycle." And that is coming from IMBA, who have recently clubbed together and decided that e-bikes are a Bad Thing, so hardly a biased source.

Source: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-e-bikes-are-good-for-the-sport-2017.html

My 2c worth...

eBikes are great as commuters and bikes for unfit to get fitter faster.They shouldn't be allowed on trails though.

In the last while I've seen a growth in numbers of them on single tracks.These ebikes run 25-30km/h easily and they pass around other cyclists,runners and walkers.They also end up making there own paths in the forest.In some areas the single track is a mess from the extra areas that these bikes ride.They also hard on the tracks because of the power they push out on the corners and hills.

There have also been a few bad crashes over here with bikes and that adds to the cost of government to get a chopper out to airlift the injured riders.Had they been on normal mtb they would have been in the area they were with the bikes.

There are a few companies selling and fitting ebike dongles.....basically the same as chipping your car.They remap the power on the bikes.Some can run 80km/h with it fitted.

Anyone see the issues  that kind of speed can cause on trails where guys work hard to look after them.

My 2c worth...

eBikes are great as commuters and bikes for unfit to get fitter faster.They shouldn't be allowed on trails though.

In the last while I've seen a growth in numbers of them on single tracks.These ebikes run 25-30km/h easily and they pass around other cyclists,runners and walkers.They also end up making there own paths in the forest.In some areas the single track is a mess from the extra areas that these bikes ride.They also hard on the tracks because of the power they push out on the corners and hills.

There have also been a few bad crashes over here with bikes and that adds to the cost of government to get a chopper out to airlift the injured riders.Had they been on normal mtb they would have been in the area they were with the bikes.

There are a few companies selling and fitting ebike dongles.....basically the same as chipping your car.They remap the power on the bikes.Some can run 80km/h with it fitted.

Anyone see the issues  that kind of speed can cause on trails where guys work hard to look after them.

^^^^^^this is what I fear happening here ..... and let's be honest, there will always be guys upping the output of their motorbikes e-bikes for trail use.

as noted in my earlier post, I now know of three bikes that have been modified for more output.....to all three I have had critical statements face to face with them.

the one rider I do not believe will be a chop on the trails .... the other two ... well they are would be.

the one rider I do not believe will be a chop on the trails .... the other two ... well they are would be.

If you want to ban cycling equipment that enable people to be chops on trails you are going to have to ban all bicycles...

If you want to ban cycling equipment that enable people to be chops on trails you are going to have to ban all bicycles...

No, you ban chops

The best thing about mankind is man, the worst thing about mankind is man. 

No, you ban chops

The best thing about mankind is man, the worst thing about mankind is man. 

Ok I agree, no point in blaming the e-bikes.

Don't see them being banned from the trails, we will just have to accept those things among us.

...snip

... snip

wow :eek:

just what I need, but in a road bike version :ph34r:

Yeah but I wouldn't consider one as an additional bike. I'm not in the world of being able to drop ~ 80k on a whim. 

If I were in the position of buying a new bike, I have to be honest and say that one of the Levos would be on my shortlist. I'd be silly to dismiss it out of hand. BUT. I wouldn't buy it just to get another lap... 

I also want a bike to take me further for those long rides.  Difference is that got me thinking my N+1 bike would be the new Spark or Anthem.  Not this crap.