Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

I agree, sh%te happens, but two misses and one hit over 3 years... bad investment. 

If you conveniently ignore the 37 out of 37 hits in a row prior to that yes, that is why it is always important to take a long term view with investments  :ph34r:

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope City of Capetown mayoral committee take serious action against our striking brothers (assuming it is obviously an unprotected strike). Its about time that Unions/Politicians become liable for illegal disruptions...

It is not a strike or industrial action. It is about being neglected by the WC government for years.

Not sure if this has been posted here before : https://www.facebook.com/geoff.hookins/posts/10212270774191292 

Ja, but.

They had one of the community leaders on the radio/567 very early that morning (about 6am). Sure many others driving in would have heard it. The gist of it was that he didn't really care about the law and they were here to make a fuss. Since the Tour had been rerouted they were now going to peacefully stand down, and try gain some moral high ground.

He said they were specifically wanting to occupy a piece of land that had recently been bought by a certain lady called Nomaindia Mfeketo. The name could be familiar to you, she was CT mayor from 2002-2006. She was (IMHO, and putting it lightly) not very good at her job. Minute I hear her name involved and all bad thoughts come to mind about dubious intentions etc etc.

It is not a strike or industrial action. It is about being neglected by the WC government for years.

I wouldn't call it neglect, but don't want to derail this with my thoughts on how Masi helps/hinders Masi.

maybe this masi cyclist could fill us in

https://twitter.com/songezojim?lang=en

C0MJaxZWQAA1sBO.jpg

My wife decided to prove a point about mere mortals riding in this wind. She would have done her first yesterday. She went for a ride from Strand to Hels and back, stopping at M&B (where she was right now) on the way back.

She is a tough bugger. Have only been riding for 2 years, but already biting large chunks of the pie.

Wifey is back. Her assessment is that it would have been very difficult for her to make it to Smits against the wind in time for the cut-off at 14h00 at the halfway waterpoint if they started just before 10h00.

You have dominated this thread with a constant stream of repetitive bashing of the organizers, and sure, you are entitled to your opinion. 

My question is: How is it that you seem to know so much about the state of mind of the organizers?  Are you part of the organizing committee?  Did they take votes or decisions in which you witnessed first hand this outrageously dismissive arrogance that you believe to be so obvious? 

And seeing that is so clear  that the organizers are  inept, incompetent and useless (read: arrogant),  then it will be a slam dunk to wrench the event away to be staged  PROPERLY  by someone who obviously knows how to do it better?

I look forward to the 2018 Carbon29er Cape Cycle Tour.  It will be GRAND!

You beat me to it - I was also thinking we should give a few peeps on here the opportunity to organise this event next year and see how they cope... 

For me, the only time I ever get on a road bike is to captain my blind neighbour on this event. Riding to the start with him yesterday was hectic, with all the other drama's adding to the mix I was very happy that they cancelled.

As I  had a bit of free time, instead of bitching, I took him for a coffee and then went and collected old clothes and headed down to Hout Bay to help out a bit. It was a humbling experience. 

I left Hout Bay just after two, and the Karbonkelberg fire was still raging and heading towards Llandudno - there were approximately 8 to 10 fire trucks that I could see and the helicopters trying to control the blaze (if you don't believe me search #karbonkelbergfire). Can you imagine them trying to move through 35k riders going up Suikerbossie!!

Cancelling the event was a massive decision to make, and it was the right one.

For all those posting on this forum, there have been some great ideas and some rather interesting ones... So instead of just posting here, why not engage with the organisers directly?

Tom

The only thing I learned from this thread is that Hotshot is a tool...

Cannot fail to disagree more.

Edit: having seen videos and having sold my entry, the only thing I can fault the organisers for is the start. It was ludicrous in 2009 and not that great in the other years. And from the videos I have seen it needs to change. Problem is, I can't see an easy solution that allows people to keep using the freeway to access later starts, with parking.

Edited by Thor Buttox

We had a peleton of 30 or so friends and family riding a remembrance ride for a recently deceased family member. It was a big deal especially for those close to him so the cancellation was a bitter pill. We will be back next year however, probably with a fund raiser for Red Cross Children's where he worked some of the time.

The protests were always on the cards. There have been many in the past. There are issues with policing and vigilantism as well as all the other problems the inhabitants face. 

As for the wind - they need an alternate start venue/chute for windy days. Poor planning from some very experienced organizers. Felt sorry for all the upcountry riders I saw returning empty handed today, bikes barely ridden. Sorry guys!

The protests were always on the cards. There have been many in the past. There are issues with policing and vigilantism as well as all the other problems the inhabitants face. 

What do you suggest the organisers were supposed to do about it other than taking this up with the authorities & changing the route? (Which they did)

Not a wealthy one though, 4 100k+ bikes doesn't equal wealth apparently.

Yip. All the cars and bikes in my household combined are worth less than the bike this 'not wealthy' gentleman is in the process of replacing.

I assume that makes us destitute.

We should probably start breeding like the vermin we are...

What do you suggest the organisers were supposed to do about it other than taking this up with the authorities & changing the route? (Which they did)

At the height of the unrest there a year or two back there was a mobile disaster management camp set up 500m away. Perhaps some police patrols or a mobile station set up close by would have deterred the protesters. Its a big event, many protests in the past = predictable, at least to some extent,  in my book.