SRAM XO Eagle, worth the buck? 7k to replace the cassette...

Kyle Badger

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this is a super cool groupset but is it worth getting it being a non sponsored rider. Seeing that replacing the cassette will set me back 7k. Will it last that much longer than a XT cassette at R2700

Those cassets last longer, a lot longer

Just remember, there is alot of hype around Eagle at the moment, and although is is very cool on Nino Schurter's bike in Gold, I doubt even he needs it. There are guys that kill me on their 1X10 set-ups. If you are even reasonably fit (I am a fat guy on a trail bike doing 70km rides with 11speed), then 11 gears is more than enough if you have the right size chainring.

Think about how many year passes/day passes/ ride holidays you could arrange for the price of that cassette 

And some "oomie" on A 26er SS will probably still keep up with you

Think about how many year passes/day passes/ ride holidays you could arrange for the price of that cassette

And some "oomie" on A 26er SS will probably still keep up with you

Hahaha those Oomies are my biggest source of shame every weekend!

My answer is no because I cannot afford it. I have a 1*12 XT on and that works great for me. Even that was a bit out of my price range so will look at SLX or other cheaper options when the "wear and tear man" comes knocking.

Shimano do NOT make a 1 x 12 setup.

It is all relevant to what you want and what you are willing to spend for it. Yes - R7k for a cassette is silly... but do you really have to pay R7k? 

I'm all for supporting my LBS - especially on stuff where you need a warranty - but a cassette? Hell no...

We live in a global economy - so look around. Just did a quick search and found this in Germany (yes, they still ship Sram to SA)

• Chain - 36Euro @ R14,46 = R520 (then add vat at 14%) = R592,80
  • Cassette XO1 Eagle - 247,62 Euro @ R14,46 = R3,566 (+VAT) = R4062

Does it last longer? Definitely - I have close on 4000km on my cassette and it is still perfect.

Honestly - I found that it gives me that one bail-out gear that I was missing on the 1x11.

Do you need it, probably not? 

Do you want it, of course!

Just buy the Shimano Falcon, flies 10 meters lower and hunts mice instead off of rats compared to a eagle; and your wife wont demand another 1 carat when she sees the price of your 1 single extra gear... while you are pushing your bike anyway.

I'm fine with my 2 x 11 XT

All the ratios without the bling 

Using 3 chains to even out the wear and save on the longer term 

....... you can call me ""old School ""

I tried xt 1x11 but struggled up some of the steepest Durbanville hills climbs. Went back to my xx 2x10 setup and loving it. Cassette lasts 2 seasons and can pick up great quality replacements without breaking bank.

I guess I am really old school.... I don't care that I am not keeping up with technology especially when I ride past the guys pushing their 1x11 and 1x12 setups up the climbs... and I am an old oomie.

1x12 XT......... are you the Stig of the bike world?

My answer is no because I cannot afford it. I have a 1*12 XT on and that works great for me. Even that was a bit out of my price range so will look at SLX or other cheaper options when the "wear and tear man" comes knocking.

I tried xt 1x11 but struggled up some of the steepest Durbanville hills climbs. Went back to my xx 2x10 setup and loving it. Cassette lasts 2 seasons and can pick up great quality replacements without breaking bank.

I guess I am really old school.... I don't care that I am not keeping up with technology especially when I ride past the guys pushing their 1x11 and 1x12 setups up the climbs... and I am an old oomie.

One of my bikes has 10x2 XO on (42\28 front and 36/11 rear)

Also loving it

1 x systems look bling

But most of us are better off with 2 x systems....lol

I don't believe that it will last any longer than an XT cassette ...

But your BLING factor will last WAAAAYYYYY longer than XT ....

Just saying ... :thumbup:

and u will feel "worth it " because you juts spend 7k on a cassette so you must be worth it

One of my bikes has 10x2 XO on (42\28 front and 36/11 rear)

Also loving it

1 x systems look bling

But most of us are better off with 2 x systems....lol

That's exactly what I've got on my bike. It works and has the range I need.

Maybe I'm getting old... :whistling:  :blush: