Fight Fans: Mayweather vs Mcgregor

Imploder

Ha, Ha, yah, the 80's made me think of Jimmy Abbot, Kallie Knoetze, Gerrie Coetzee, Korrie Sanders and there must have been a few others.

Jimmy Abbot was an enigma, he must have weighed 180kgs, very little of it pure muscle and he could barely walk never mind bob around the ring, he survived is beyond me, but he had a strong following, boxing was big in those days.

I had to google jimmy abbot - 80's indeed!

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/3331/ad4ef8a726eb4aa490f6f9af8e0743b0.jpg

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find it , but there's an iconic photo of Jiimy Abbot that appeared in Rapport many years ago. Him sitting on a chair in the back of a bakkie .With his family around him. Taken in their backyard in Newlands Jhb.

Kallie Knoetze said: " Jimmy ? Hy slaan donners hard."

Grumps, the other guy was Mike Schutte. He played rugby for Iscor in VDBP sometimes. My brother in law had a game against him , Iscor won by a mile. Mike threatened them all.

Edited by Blokman

I couldn't find it , but there's an iconic photo of Jiimy Abbot that appeared in Rapport many years ago. Him sitting on a chair in the back of a bakkie .With his family around him. Taken in their backyard in Newlands Jhb.

Kallie Knoetze said: " Jimmy ? Hy slaan donners hard."

Grumps, the other guy was Mike Schutte. He played rugby for Iscor in VDBP sometimes. My brother in law had a game against him , Iscor won by a mile. Mike threatened them all.

Ha, Ha, Mike Schutte,...thats him...sounds about right for Mike. :lol: 

Look, Jimmy, Mike, Gerrie, Kallie, all came out of the school of hard knocks, they all grew up on the streets, were as tough as nails and didnt take c**p from anyone, I think Jimmy and his brothers had a few run in with the police.

I remember once there was a joke played on Jimmy Abbot once when he was somewhere with his family swimming or watching rugby, I cant remember, but they caught him on his own walking to the bar and were all in his face pretending to box with him, it was very irritating but he was very calm at first telling them to leave him alone, but eventually he lost his rag and grabbed the one guy threw him around a bit then got him in a neck hold and started blixeming him, .....they had to all run away and call the producer to show him it was a joke,... if they hadn't I think he would have blixemed them all.

He stalked off in a huff, dint think it was funny. :lol:  

Ja.. I wonder if a lot of it has to do with the fact that we (here in SA) didn't have access/exposure to a all the other sports, we had limited coverage be it on the TV or radio, today you can pick and chose what sport you want to follow.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Sure, probably, but we were pretty good in the boxing arena back then, I think it was Gerrie Coetzee who did a bit of sanction busting boxing in the UK and USA and did very well,he was very well respected in the ring, but in effect our boxers mostly had to fight locally.

It was tough for all sportsman in those days, sanctions stopped them competing internationally.

Those like Bruce Fordyce, who had a British passport were able to go run everywhere but they were in the minority most other SA top runners actually all athletes were limited to just local  events. 

http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/3331/ad4ef8a726eb4aa490f6f9af8e0743b0.jpg

He aint no small fella.......! :w00t:  

Ooohh yeah, thats so friggen hot!! not sure how this piece of smut hasn't been modded yet.

Jimmy Abbott, a very ardent Lions rugby supporter also. Had his seat reserved for him, front row on the middle line, two seats empty both sides of the two seats he occupied (at once)  :D

Jimmy Abbott, a very ardent Lions rugby supporter also. Had his seat reserved for him, front row on the middle line, two seats empty both sides of the two seats he occupied (at once)  :D

I had a pic on file of him sitting in his two seats......

Saw him fight live and between Mike Schutte and Abbot I was not sure who I disliked more

One or two of us do know a bit about boxing. Maybe not at your expert level, but nonetheless. :whistling:

I didnt know where I said I knew anything about the sport, on the contrary, I specifically said I know little about it and all I wanted was for the loud mouthy guy to knee the guy who beats his wife in the ribs. Thats is allowed isn't it?

But it seems this thread has turned into fans tuning other fans with neither side being able to appreciate the others positions..... so I'm just playing along.

Edited by Patchelicious

Ooohh yeah, thats so friggen hot!! not sure how this piece of smut hasn't been modded yet.

At 370kg at his heaviest, he'd have been more than even you could handle. Would be like man-handling your MTB down a double black run while cracking a safe.

:D  ;)

Too easy to rile you up.

Ok, lemme rephrase that.

One or two of us do know a bit about boxing. Maybe not at your expert level, but nonetheless.  :whistling:

I really enjoyed that Mayweather performance. It was like watching Federer, Messi or AB de Villiers at their best. Just had to appreciate the talent on display. 

+1

He just got better and better.

Definitely not 50-0 because of a bit of luck