[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

What he said

The Cyclosportif race end of the month (and even the bouckaert soenen) might be used unofficially if the result reflects on your PPA seeding by the time the CTCT seeding is done but all the "official" seeding events are done

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps because organizing road races became too expensive and the number of participants shrank to the point where it is no longer viable for a charity organization or NGO to run a race as a fundraising event. That used to be the single most common way races in the Western Cape were organized. The big races survived, the smaller events died. Perhaps the increased difficulty to get permission from municipalities and the traffic departments also added another nail to the coffin?

I agree 100%. In addition a couple of points. 1) The requirements (from the municipalities) to host any event are getting more difficult to meet - adding to the cost. 2) People are more difficult to please in general (including cyclists) and expectations are sometimes not realistic. 3) Roads are more congested affecting safety - and full road closure is almost impossible. 4) More and more people are feeling the effect of the economic downturn and just don't enter that many races anymore.

Edited by HOEKVLAG

What he said

The Cyclosportif race end of the month (and even the bouckaert soenen) might be used unofficially if the result reflects on your PPA seeding by the time the CTCT seeding is done but all the "official" seeding events are done

Yep - what Skubarra said...

CTCT will use any results showing on Racetec for your seeding.  The question is when exactly they will do the seeding and whether you can fit in a Racetec timed event before then.

The difference between 'official seeding events' and 'other racetec timed events' in terms of  seeding is that for official events no penalty is applied.  Other events can/will be used but they will have an additional penalty applied to them.  

So you may smoke the Durbanville fun ride and cruise the PPA one tonner - but the one tonner ends up being you best seeding event as there is no penalty...

Edited by Dubber

Perhaps because organizing road races became too expensive and the number of participants shrank to the point where it is no longer viable for a charity organization or NGO to run a race as a fundraising event. That used to be the single most common way races in the Western Cape were organized. The big races survived, the smaller events died. Perhaps the increased difficulty to get permission from municipalities and the traffic departments also added another nail to the coffin?

Not sure if the bigger / biggest race (Cape Town Cycle tour) is surviving. I personnel feel a big part of the problem is the lack of supporting events to this event on roads this event uses. Instead of cycle tour fund be reinvested into Road funride in the Southern subs they have been used elsewhere. I suspect if there were cycling event, like in the past, going past informal settlement it would to the residence seem like the Norm and not the exception - no big deal / protest.

Killing the goose that lays the golden egg! Expense as you have listed could well be funded by cycle tour profits! PPA is (meant to be) a non profit organization.

Not sure if the bigger / biggest race (Cape Town Cycle tour) is surviving. I personnel feel a big part of the problem is the lack of supporting events to this event on roads this event uses. Instead of cycle tour fund be reinvested into Road funride in the Southern subs they have been used elsewhere. I suspect if there were cycling event, like in the past, going past informal settlement it would to the residence seem like the Norm and not the exception - no big deal / protest.

Killing the goose that lays the golden egg! Expense as you have listed could well be funded by cycle tour profits! PPA is (meant to be) a non profit organization.

I tried organizing an event in the SS last year, the cost would have been more than double a CTCT entry if they even allowed you on the roads. So many road works at the moment. 

* I didnt try very hard as was not feasible and did not want to host a 50km event.

Edited by Pure Savage

More people should read this:

http://puresavage.co.za/2017/10/road-cycling-in-the-western-cape.html/

Times are changing, the youth numbers are proof of this.

I tried organizing an event in the SS last year, the cost would have been more than double a CTCT entry if they even allowed you on the roads. So many road works at the moment. 

* I didnt try very hard as was not feasible and did not want to host a 50km event.

What is wrong with some proceed from the Cape Town cycle tour, should it exist much longer, directly going into financially assisting other road cycling events in the area - keeping the sport alive on a whole number of levels? Thus allowing the entry to be more realistic for smaller events? But in tun these smaller events aid in keeping the Cape Town cycle tour alive!

What is wrong with some proceed from the Cape Town cycle tour, should it exist much longer, directly going into financially assisting other road cycling events in the area - keeping the sport alive on a whole number of levels? Thus allowing the entry to be more realistic for smaller events? But in tun these smaller events aid in keeping the Cape Town cycle tour alive!

The proceeds do go to supporting other road events, its just not financially viable to support an event in SS. Can host 2/3 rides in D ville for the cost of a pointless event in SS>

The proceeds do go to supporting other road events, its just not financially viable to support an event in SS. Can host 2/3 rides in D ville for the cost of a pointless event in SS>

Agree. I also think the solution is far more complex than throwing money at smaller events. Entry fees only one of a multitude of factors affecting road cycling.

Agree. I also think the solution is far more complex than throwing money at smaller events. Entry fees only one of a multitude of factors affecting road cycling.

I read an article last year about the decline of road cycling in the Western Cape, even had some actual facts :P

Edited by Pure Savage

Do you know something we don't?

Do you know something we don't?

Nope - but given the track it has followed over the past 3 years - it would not surprise me in the least if it should stop completely in the next 10 years - to me that is "much longer."

Your theory is sound, however....

If we take into account the change in environment (political, social and environmental) and only work over the last 5 years (when the changes have been most significant), then we have about  55% chance :-)

*Just having a bit of fun - not too be taken too seriously...*

ok, so argus  has been 

shortened once due to Fire, 

cancelled once due to Wind.

Those have been around for a while, will the next change be due to these guys?

https://youtu.be/god7hAPv8f0?t=29

(also not being too serious, granted the 2017 cancellation included a route shortening too due to protests)

Nope - but given the track it has followed over the past 3 years - it would not surprise me in the least if it should stop completely in the next 10 years - to me that is "much longer."

ha ha, are you for real? Not sure if you're #2 or #3 here

http://i3.cpcache.com/product_zoom/838648768/glass_half_full_empty_pee_funny_tshirt_mousepad.jpg?height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true

Edited by freewheelin' Hub Dylan

More people should read this:

http://puresavage.co.za/2017/10/road-cycling-in-the-western-cape.html/

Times are changing, the youth numbers are proof of this.

More people should definitely read this. Cool, professional and impressive look at the road racing numbers! It is great to see someone with the ability to look at the numbers and make sense from it, rather than the rest of us who say things like "I think" or "in my opinion" or even worse "when I used to race" or just some dumb stuff sucked out of our thumbs!