[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the chances they gonna cancel the race due to the water restrictions?

I uploaded this onto my hub media folder because i know I'm going to have to repost it about a brazillion times before race day.

post-1830-0-18912000-1503396020_thumb.png

Does that include changing sections of the waterpoints to watering holes, where you can get beers / wine / etc?

But lets get practical, what would be some of the tips for cyclist

- Don't shower before the race, and "bank" your shower for after the race

- If you HAVE to wash / spray off your bike, share a shower with your bike

- Out of towners to fill their bottles, "BEFORE" they arrive in cape town

Just to show how hard it is to imagine visual water usage vs total water consumption.

Let's say there's 20 000 out of town riders, each with 2 x 750ml bottles

that's 30 000 litres* saved!

Cape town current daily water consumption 600 000 000 liters

So if you get 100% of out of town riders bringing their own water to CT, then you'd save 0.005% of our daily usage. That's obviously both unlikely and as significant as farting in a proverbial highveld thunderstorm. I'm not saying waste water, but bringing your own race bottles on Kulula is not going to make a difference to anyone in practicality.

HOWEVER If it subconciously gets you to think about water consumption, then go for it!!

*incidentally that's the amount that has been flowing out of TWK dam every 20seconds for the past month.

Does that include changing sections of the waterpoints to watering holes, where you can get beers / wine / etc?

But lets get practical, what would be some of the tips for cyclist

- Don't shower before the race, and "bank" your shower for after the race

- If you HAVE to wash / spray off your bike, share a shower with your bike

- Out of towners to fill their bottles, "BEFORE" they arrive in cape town

oops forgot to put the list in comic sans italics

Yes, in fact it is encouraged. 

:D

I find that most slow and wobbly lemmings can benefit from riding solid and steady mules that are less twitchy than the fast racy thoroughbreds. :ph34r:

Edited by DJR

Out of a 100 (100%), what are the chances we get to ride the route we entered on the day? I personally think its less than 50% - if I am wrong I should start training a bit more! But unfortunately like most thing we will only know the actual answer when its too late (to train).

Edited by Icycling

Out of a 100 (100%), what are the chances we get to ride the route we entered on the day? I personally think its less than 50% - if I am wrong I should start training a bit more! But unfortunately like most thing we will only know the actual answer when its too late (to train).

Oh goodness. . . .  Please refer to the last 39 pages for your answer as well as most everyone else's to your proposed question

Gauteng champs=122km

Fast one=96km

Ride for sight=116km

CTCT=109km

So who cares as you should be training for the races you do prior to the event as well.

I am not sure what races you guys have down there running up to CTCT but they must be of a similar distance.

Embarrassingly enough, I tend to echo your pessimism.  :blush:

BUT..... It's not gonna stop me from training and rocking up on the day, full of hope and nervous excitement.

Gauteng champs=122km

Fast one=96km

Ride for sight=116km

CTCT=109km

So who cares as you should be training for the races you do prior to the event as well.

I am not sure what races you guys have down there running up to CTCT but they must be of a similar distance.

Having done many funrides and National championships over the past 35 years. Currently I tend to only do funride where I know there will be good traffic control - 99er in Cape Town in the past has had good traffic control (often same weekend as National champs). National Champs has been a bit f a hit and miss over the past number of years - Durban was great. Thus I tend to ride Killarny (motor race circuit) and track - but a 1 hour event require not nearly as many miles of training compared to a 110km close road lap round the Peninsula.

Gauteng champs=122km

Fast one=96km

Ride for sight=116km

CTCT=109km

We have quite a bit, actually:

28/1 Cyclo Sportif #1 - 91km

4/2 Bouckaert-Soenen - 123km

10/2 99er - 99km

25/2 Tour de PPA - 110km