[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

After riding Chappies for the first time after the much discussed resurfacing of the tar road, all I can say is "W.T.F. are you all on about, there is nothing wrong with that surface"

It may be a bit coarse, but there is sections we regularly race on here in the North that is way worse.

So in my opinion, nothing to be afraid off on race day. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI seeding queries close 4pm 14th feb (ie. wednesday)

I don't really do races, so hope they thinking 24hr race is considered a decent nudge

Less than four weeks to go... the feeling of dread tells me I should have started training earlier.

Too late to make a huge difference now - Herald in two weeks should be an indicator as to how bad it might be.

Any good specials on GP4000s or other fast tyres? The post office is holding my tubeless road tyres hostage.

Edited by HdB

remind me - what the deal with SAA and bikes from ORT nowadaze?

For an extra R299 the ease of this option is worth it.

http://www.trans-sport.co.za

No worries about packing or reassembling or getting trashed by baggage handlers.

Deliver your bike to them, they put it in a BIG box in front of you, only removing the front wheel and you can put your tools, helmet and shoes in the box and then collect it at the stadium any time from the Friday.

After the race, ride 200m from the finish and the process reverses itself. Pick up your bike anytime from the Tuesday.

QED.

Edited by eddy

I have always taken my bike on the plane. The reason I have stayed away from these trucking companies is I have always stayed in Cape Town for 7/10 days and used to ride before and after the race so pick up Friday and dropping my bike off right after the race was never an option. I also always ride back to fish hoek after the race so even if I don't ride after the race I still need to get back to fish hoek. The ease of just putting the bike in a box and not taking anything off is starting to attract me. This year I am going back home Sunday evening but still need to get back to fish hoek, so thinking when my toppie takes me to the airport(folks are still staying till Wednesday) he can go back passed the stadium and drop the bike off?

Anyone know someone looking for an entry? I want to sell mine. Just not ready this yearThere 

If you feel you are not ready then come ride anyway and have a chilled ride and stop off ever so often on the route to experience the festivities. All too often we are chasing  a PR and forget to enjoy the World Fun Ride Championships. I sometimes envy the real fun riders and the ones that rock up in a fancy dress costume just to ride and have real fun. 

This year I am going back home Sunday evening but still need to get back to fish hoek, so thinking when my toppie takes me to the airport(folks are still staying till Wednesday) he can go back passed the stadium and drop the bike off?

Uber?

Thanks for the info. emailing with the race office has so far been a fairly detrimental experience...  a Yes I have a UCI masters racing licence - sent it to them now. Clearly not much priority given to seeding internationals unfortunately

Anyhos looking forward to it - hope to replicate the great experience I had four years ago. I filmed the last hour of my race in 2014, and happened to cycle quite a stretch together with Anriette Shoeman as seen in the video I posted back then: http://bit.ly/2nUBz9i 

There is always the option of sorting your seeding out at the expo on the Friday and Saturday. When do you get in to Cape Town?

Uber?

Main road will still be closed, Is there another way back to fish hoek? I have used the train before but don't feel like walking from the stadium to the train station. The drop off is usually open till late so I am sure my toppie will get back after dropping me off at the airport.

Main road will still be closed, Is there another way back to fish hoek? I have used the train before but don't feel like walking from the stadium to the train station. The drop off is usually open till late so I am sure my toppie will get back after dropping me off at the airport.

Both Main Road (M4) and the M5 stays open all the time.

So, if you have a car:

Take the N1 out of town

Then the M5 South

Then right into M38 (De Waal Road)

You cross both main Road (congested) and The M3 (Ladies mile, still full of late starters)

Turn left on the M42 (Spaanschemat River Road)

That will take you to the bottom of Ou Kaapse Weg M64

Other side of Ou Kaapse Weg left into M65......and Fishoek next.