[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

I just feel sorry for all the people that have to find new hotels to stay at

I know, now have to pedal more than 100m from my secure parking. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just feel sorry for all the people that have to find new hotels to stay at

Why?

The new start is literally a few hundred meters from the old start. No need to find new Hotels to stay in.

Or did I miss the sarcastic font.... 

Why?

The new start is literally a few hundred meters from the old start. No need to find new Hotels to stay in.

Or did I miss the sarcastic font.... 

LOL  :clap:  yes...me thinks so...

Guys, I know this gets mentioned every year but do you find the R510 entry fee fair?

I don't and I won't be entering this year as I just can't afford it.

I think that it is a good move, yes it will have negative impact on some, but generally it does allow more options for them and us. 

Guys, I know this gets mentioned every year but do you find the R510 entry fee fair?

Can only compare it with other road races, which might be a bit cheaper, but do not have the same amount of organisation around it, which include full road closures.  I understand that there is other sources of income, and more riders to spread the costs.  For me, I will be paying it, if I compare it to what I am getting for it.  

Yes it might get to a point where it become a bit of a barrier for youth riders to participate, but I am sure that they have mechanisms for these to be catered for.   

Is the 94.7 not R 475 this year? And the Amashova is R 460. . .  Pricing seems inline, slightly above as presumably they can cause it's the Cape Town Cycle Tour. At least they didn't increase the entry price from last year.

Yes

Edited by Bloukrans

The only race in the Western Cape with full road closures on a stunning iconic route that for the foreseeable future are not hosting any other road races at all.

If you are not willing to pay a premium for that kind of opportunity then the sport of road cycling is probably not for you.

I would pay double that before I even think of questioning the price.

200% worth it. Worth more than any ASG entry fee. It also happens to be the second smallest cost of the entire long weekend I spend down there, the cheapest being the mokka I buy at joburg international Vida while waiting for my flight. 

Flights, car hire, accommodation, food etc etc etc all a lot more than what it costs for half a tank of fuel.

EDIT: half a tank of fuel for me is about 500 bucks.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

Although the fee is quite steep, it compares well with other events of similar scale and attraction:

Comrades Marathon

ENTRY FEES:

• Early Bird Entries : R 460.00

• Local Entries : R 500.00

• International : R3300.00

Two Oceans Marathon:

Entry Fee: South African Entrants

Runners who own a timing chip R 460 * Runners who do not own a timing chip R 580

I know this has been debated to death, but I don't think we always realise just how much organising / logistics is involved with an event of this scale.  Furthermore, profit from this event goes to the Rotary, who is heavily dependent on this income for the work they do. 

For me, the entry fee is steep, but worth it (provided the event actually happens!).  I do appreciate that it all adds up for the out-of-towners who have to pay for accommodation and travel and and and, though...

I is high.

Same price as a entry level light.

Bar tape is more expensive.

An average waterbottle cage cost R500

Price of one tyre

One chain.

All in all it is expensive.  But it is relative.  Everything is expensive.

It is the travel and accommodation that kills it for me. 

But definitely worth the experience.

I'll enter and hopefully I will be able to ride.