[Event] The Munga MTB 2017

Slowbee

Well Well, it would seem as though Fatboi slim (aka Vettie) has the jump on the training! Damn those are some big numbers. I mean that low HR at that speed! I would love to be able to do that. That HR would have my speed at like 12km/hr!

I was hoping to carry the fitness over from S2C, but that did not happen! Then went on holiday for 3 weeks. Now I sit catching up on work.

And then I will have to start training. From scratch.

To date the biggest issue plauging me is the bike.

I think I would like to do this ride on a 29er, but I only have access to a 26er (Mrs Slowbee wants to use her 650b) - but, money is tight and I cannot buy another bike. I am trying to reach out and see if I can get a test one, or a loan one, even better would be some kind of sponsored one. So for now, its Munga on a Titus Racer X 26er.

I start with a 30 minute IDT ride tonight. Vetseun, I am coming for you!

Lekker Slowbee!!!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All is on target.

Did my own Bloem Mini Munga last Saturday. 6 hours @ 123km.

Today and tomorrow 4 - 5 hours.

Next Saturday is 9 hours.

Two weeks after that the ugly 12 hour ride. Planning on hitting the road at 3 am for the 12 hours. Just a touch chilly at that time.

Nicely done! ????????????????????????

Sterkte.

IDT is certainly not going to cut it.  

I would avoid the IDT at this stage and spend time in the saddle, lots of time, distance should not be the goal. This will come later but TITS is the starting point for me always.

Build the endurance and not the speed, economy on the bike, learn to recover fast - what to do and drink afterwards, do it again the next day (week-ends)

This works for me and I reckon I could do 10hrs in the saddle at my pace - slow.

Sepia, unfortunately for the next week or two an IDT is going to have to do. I will have to survive and finish Munga on what training I can fit in (although I am envious of Vettie's hours so far. He is going to ace this thing). I just do not have the hours to fit in riding a bike for 3 or 4 hours.

Right now is about balancing priorities. Munga I can also try again if I am not fit enough or dont finish due to lack of fitness. Work, I only get one chance to get it right or else the family goes without. As you know things are very tight with the current economy. So for now, its focus on work, especially as we have changes coming. When I entered I told Mrs Slowbee that I did not want the training to be ruling our lives, but rather let cycling become part of a lifestyle. Given all these work issues Munga training will have to be in between on the IDT at night. It is just how it is right now.

Good priorities.  

Wish I was as fortunate as you.  Jealous as hell I am about this Munga thing.  It bites me all the time but I too have to be realistic due to injuries.

Good luck.

Sepia, unfortunately for the next week or two an IDT is going to have to do. I will have to survive and finish Munga on what training I can fit in (although I am envious of Vettie's hours so far. He is going to ace this thing). I just do not have the hours to fit in riding a bike for 3 or 4 hours.

Right now is about balancing priorities. Munga I can also try again if I am not fit enough or dont finish due to lack of fitness. Work, I only get one chance to get it right or else the family goes without. As you know things are very tight with the current economy. So for now, its focus on work, especially as we have changes coming. When I entered I told Mrs Slowbee that I did not want the training to be ruling our lives, but rather let cycling become part of a lifestyle. Given all these work issues Munga training will have to be in between on the IDT at night. It is just how it is right now.

Slowbee.

This race is more a mental strong survival race than a fitness race. I believe if you already have the fitness from your regular training rides, then as suggested from previous replies saddle hours will be the most important aspect of your training preparation. This is to get used to the sore bum, the aching back, your hands and feet which will hurt like hell, and many more pains which one just do not get from under 8 to 10 hour rides.

So as was suggested by the latest advice from all the guys only trying to help, which I agree 100% with, please do not let this kill your ambition. I say this from reading many post of very successful adventure finishers who make it clear that they do not believe in excessive long rides weekend after weekend. They suggest maybe every 3rd to 4th weekend these long rides, and then regular 4 to 5 hour rides in between. (This with the hope you do have you base training already under the belt). Then if you use you IDT for the rest of the week with 1 and a half hour to 2 hours sessions ( I know how sore long IDT rides can be) this hopefully will get you closer to your goal, and not compromising your family live and work responsibilities.

So Slowbee don't let this race beat you mentally even before it started. Go work out how you want to and can train from next week day by day to race day, make sure you follow this schedule and if your mind is strong enough, anything is possible. And as you said, if this one is unsuccessful then there will always be another time. (Great successful people have said it many times; I did not fail X amount of times, I have just learned how not to do it wrong X amount of times)

The advice given is in my opinion also how I believe it should be done! But there are other just as successful ways to do it. Good luck Slowbee.

I know nothing about mega distances. But surely core work in the gym is vital? If your core can support you better, then hands and ass will take less of a beating?

I know nothing about mega distances. But surely core work in the gym is vital? If your core can support you better, then hands and ass will take less of a beating?

I agree with you core is important for this type of race. But what I do additionally is home core work. Some squats, dead lifts, and kettle ball exercises. I have been a Virgin Active member for 3 years but also do not have the time to go to gym and waste time waiting for machines or weights. So while at home twice a week for 30 to 40 minutes, I do core.

Edited by Bat

Put your saddle and seatpost onto a stick the same height as your work chair and sit on that... getting a sore bum is the worst thing about riding non stop races.

If the legs get sore you just tick away and walk a few hills, but the sore bum never goes away

:whistling:  :ph34r:

Slowbee.

This race is more a mental strong survival race than a fitness race. I believe if you already have the fitness from your regular training rides, then as suggested from previous replies saddle hours will be the most important aspect of your training preparation. This is to get used to the sore bum, the aching back, your hands and feet which will hurt like hell, and many more pains which one just do not get from under 8 to 10 hour rides.

There is no doubt that a large part of the battle is mental (how big I don't know but suspect that it is much more than half). Getting your mind used to doing unthinkable things is key.

So use your situation to work in your favour.

An hour of just riding on an IDT is mind numbing. Two is purgatory. Three takes real commitment. So do six. Get on the IDT and ride into the night. Have your dinner while turning your legs over. Read a story to your kids while riding, but keep riding until you have done what you had set out to do.

Your butt will benefit and because it is so easy to stop, going all the way will train your mind more than it will train your body.

Good luck Slowbee

Edited by eddy