Thread of Shame

Furbz

So is every motorist passing less than 1 meter from a cyclist. Naming and shaming does not change behavior, it only further polarizes road users. Finish and klaar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AFAIK this has been legislated for the Cape Colony, but is DEFINATELY not law in the rest of SA

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i better not take pics of all the children in our hood...who I am pleased to say are finally starting to  come out the houses and riding bicycles on the road...(havent seen this since i was a kid) considering it is a suburb where children shouldnt feel threatened by vehicles...i personally wouldnt allow my kids to ride on the road even if it is a cul de sac...considering the attitude of entitlement motorist feel about "their roads" and the rules...which they break everyday...from texting while driving...crossing solid lines...jumping stop streets...drunken driving...and the most common...speeding...what happened to the good old days of speed traps. 

So is every motorist passing less than 1 meter from a cyclist. Naming and shaming does not change behavior, it only further polarizes road users. Finish and klaar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're forgiven for being so damn sensible... but ONLY because it's only Monday. OK???

seriously though, just follow the rule of life - don't be a dwiss, be lekker.

Furbz - I empathise with your initiative as I live near Cyclelab and am subject to their Sat morning group ride etiquette but let's not derail this thread. 

I feel that your thread is doomed to fail as those people who cycle/act like tjops either :

(a) do not believe that they are acting like tjops so nothing said will change their minds, or 

(b) simply do not care (otherwise they would not act like tjops in the first instance).

That said, everyone is entitled to their own view so you do what you need to to keep yourself safe on the road and perhaps when the tjop on the right does get knocked he will realise that he was cycling like a box.

...from texting while driving...

Not to hijack the thread but geez I'm seeing this more and more. Very rare to commute to work/back and not see at least a few people on their phones while driving.

This thread has merit, attacking the OP won't help.

Funny how we are ok call out motorists who do wrong, but when we do it to ourselves, its not accepted and "just polarises". Sounds like an ANC strategy.

Perhaps the purpose of the thread is not a name and shame, but a place of discussion where we can chat about the various scenarios posted here and talk about correcting them.

Furbz - I empathise with your initiative as I live near Cyclelab and am subject to their Sat morning group ride etiquette but let's not derail this thread. 

I feel that your thread is doomed to fail as those people who cycle/act like tjops either :

(a) do not believe that they are acting like tjops so nothing said will change their minds, or 

(b) simply do not care (otherwise they would not act like tjops in the first instance).

That said, everyone is entitled to their own view so you do what you need to to keep yourself safe on the road and perhaps when the tjop on the right does get knocked he will realise that he was cycling like a box.

c)  aren't on the hub.

Hubbers don't do that.

Perhaps the city could actually paint the lines..at first glance I thought that that was a nice big lane and shoulder for the cyclist to ride on [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So lately i've noticed some real nobs riding around.

which has finally led me to start the thread of shame - a thread where you post pictures of cyclists giving other cyclists a bad name.

Last week was a guy riding without a helmet down main road, the week before that was 4 riders abreast on Ceder.

TAKE A PIC OF THE PERPS. AND POST IT HERE.

hopefully a little peer pressure will help sort this sort of behaviour out

Check this special out.

Can you imagine how irritated cars coming past must have been?

this oke did not care one little bit

he rode almost the entire way up the Steyn City Hill like this.

attachicon.gif20171111_103455(0)_resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20171111_103456_resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20171111_103458_resized.jpg

attachicon.gif20171113_094938.jpg

Its Dips and Escapee

I hope Admin has a crap load of capacity on his servers because if we are going to take pics of knobs doing knobby things then this thread should grow to the biggest one on the Hub.

Yayyyyyyy......

And that's just going to be Monday between 7 and 8am.

Dare I say 80 knobs per hour in traffic? 

Cell phone talking, red light skipping, stop street skipping, speeding, white line overtaking, cycling next to each other, yellow lane driving.  The list goes on.  And on.  And on.

Does not matter what your mode of transport is.  If you are a knob, there is not much one can do about it.

My experience over the past 20+ years of cycling is that nothing much helps by posting pics on the interwebs about it.

Sadly, we have quite a lot of knobs in SA.........

Imagine we lived in a society where there would be consequence to your actions.  Cycling next to each other....jail

Skipping red light.....jail

Talking on your phone......jail

etc etc.

Steeling a katrilion zumacent from tax payers....jail

Would it not be great?

aaaahhhhh.....a man can dream....

He should get a road bike. Not a real mountain biker anyway. 

#getontothegravel #grondislekker #goridesingletrack

exactly and definitely shouldnt be wearing baggies

Archived