Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

No, it hasn't. It's highlighted his distaste for TBMTB's penchant for berming EVERYTHING and having hardly any progressive and / or technically challenging trails. Apart from Cobra, there's hardly anything on the whole network, despite constant request for such trails. The answer is almost always "if you want technicality, ride faster". XCO track not ignored. 

Interesting that the XCO trail could only be ridden by the pro's ? So why does the club spend so much time on build technical trails and then only yher Pro's and mabye a handfull of 150mm travel bikes can ride it when the 90% of the members ride 100mm bikes and do not have that skill

Then again, why don't they build stuff where one can progress? The "skills" park is a jump park not skills

Gap jump are everywhere, but if you dont make it you go to hospital.....Why not make table tops then we can all learn to clear them and put a plank there so when I do not clear them I dont spend time in hospital I can go traight back and try again and again.

Even at the "skills" park there are GAP jumps not a jump with a plank??

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it hasn't. It's highlighted his distaste for TBMTB's penchant for berming EVERYTHING and having hardly any progressive and / or technically challenging trails. Apart from Cobra, there's hardly anything on the whole network, despite constant request for such trails. The answer is almost always "if you want technicality, ride faster". XCO track not ignored. 

Then you'll be glad to know that there is a new Black rated DH line in the works for the 2019 season, approved and signed off on by the committee and landowner in question, aimed specifically at the more progressive pinners.

The where and what has not been revealed as yet, but the last newsletter and AGM result has revealed as much.

Interesting that the XCO trail could only be ridden by the pro's ? So why does the club spend so much time on build technical trails and then only yher Pro's and mabye a handfull of 150mm travel bikes can ride it when the 90% of the members ride 100mm bikes and do not have that skill

Then again, why don't they build stuff where one can progress? The "skills" park is a jump park not skills

Gap jump are everywhere, but if you dont make it you go to hospital.....Why not make table tops then we can all learn to clear them and put a plank there so when I do not clear them I dont spend time in hospital I can go traight back and try again and again.

When last have you been to the skills park? There are PLENTY tables....this is where I learnt to make the gap jumps...

Your post #563 refers

RSa is so full of BS with this. What's your average MTB rider with a spotlight going to do? You're not exactly hidden. Anyone wanting to do something suspicious or illegal is not going to be missioning around with a signal beacon.

Well your okes loss. I basically never ride Tygerberg anymore, this is one of the main reasons (that and moving away from living on Majik forest). If you or anyone is ever keen for a night ride, ping us, we ride TM every Tue and Thu night. Great trails, few berms, interesting riding.

(but also, your post history has highlighted your distaste of berms...be honest now.)

Yoh it's in red, must be NB.

But no, what you said was "as you are clearly above riding a berm". Which would be idiotic to say.

Then you'll be glad to know that there is a new Black rated DH line in the works for the 2019 season, approved and signed off on by the committee and landowner in question, aimed specifically at the more progressive pinners.

The where and what has not been revealed as yet, but the last newsletter and AGM result has revealed as much.

Which nobody has ever asked for. Sorry, but that's also something major I and many others  have a gripe with. We ask for more varied and tech trails. Not more DH lines. Tech trails can be green and blue no problem, and do not have to involve high speed or jumps or drops or even be sketchy. Sure it's hard to build, but surely that would clearly benefit the vast majority of the members and satisfy people looking to progress more too. Not building a black rated DH line (queue Flow Terra) only able to be ridden by a handful of people.

But anyhoo, lemme be off for now, this is tiresome.

When last have you been to the skills park? There are PLENTY tables....this is where I learnt to make the gap jumps...

I will look again, but like I said why not put PLANKS so you can hear when you dont make it.

Like at the Lombaards track, there are LOTS of gaps that more people can ride and that will help keeping the track nice and bedded down also, and give us the opertunity to learn to jump them

Take that big jump on Lombaards, why not put a plank there, just below the take off and about 1.5" below landing lip....like a safety net?

People always ask why we've got so few XCO pros on the circuit. Lack of progressive technical trail (and NOT all high speed) and an incessant desire for more berms. That's why for technical skills training you've had to go to TM, Jonkers, Helderberg, Coetzenburg etc in order to get adequate exposure to tech features. I hope the new (much asked for) black line is good, as that may convince me to get another membership. For the races, the tech features were closed off for all but the elite race iirc. It's not that nobody can ride it, it's that the percentage of people who can (even among top level local xco riders in the non-elite batches) is low. This needs to change, but can only change with.... more tech trails. 

Yeah, def a jump park. 

Gaps are fine, but you need progressive gaps side by side (G spot style) so that you can progress safely, at a controlled rate. 

Which nobody has ever asked for. Sorry, but that's also something major I and many others  have a gripe with. We ask for more varied and tech trails. Not more DH lines. Tech trails can be green and blue no problem, and do not have to involve high speed or jumps or drops or even be sketchy. Sure it's hard to build, but surely that would clearly benefit the vast majority of the members and satisfy people looking to progress more too. Not building a black rated DH line (queue Flow Terra) only able to be ridden by a handful of people.

Fully agree.....flow terra is going to waste...put some planks there and make it table and more can ride it while we learn to jump it. 

At least it will get used, atm only a handfull and I am going to say less than 5% of the club can ride it.

yeah, we've continually asked for tech, not "a DH line". Tech trails can be flat, on a decline, and incline, rolling etc. 

'cos the other guys will sneak around the back with or without other people on the trails, if they ever do. 

I know crime on farms is a massive issue in the areas surrounding Durbanville. From a safety perspective it makes sense to me that if a farmer notices movement on his farm at night he knows instantly it is someone who is not supposed to be there.

People always ask why we've got so few XCO pros on the circuit. Lack of progressive technical trail (and NOT all high speed) and an incessant desire for more berms. That's why for technical skills training you've had to go to TM, Jonkers, Helderberg, Coetzenburg etc in order to get adequate exposure to tech features. I hope the new (much asked for) black line is good, as that may convince me to get another membership. For the races, the tech features were closed off for all but the elite race iirc. It's not that nobody can ride it, it's that the percentage of people who can (even among top level local xco riders in the non-elite batches) is low. This needs to change, but can only change with.... more tech trails. 

Yeah, def a jump park. 

Gaps are fine, but you need progressive gaps side by side (G spot style) so that you can progress safely, at a controlled rate. 

Patrick said they closed the XCO line due to the 10 + accidents they had there while training so it was only opened for Pro's. Male and female.

My problem is "progression" put some planks on the gaps so it is not all or nothing.

I jumped that gap at Lombaards, ONCE, took a while to healup again.

Now where do I get confidence again.....go to jump park and jump the table tops then when I "try" the gap and miss....hospital again?

Patrick said they closed the XCO line due to the 10 + accidents they had there while training so it was only opened for Pro's. Male and female.

My problem is "progression" put some planks on the gaps so it is not all or nothing.

I jumped that gap at Lombaards, ONCE, took a while to healup again.

Now where do I get confidence again.....go to jump park and jump the table tops then when I "try" the gap and miss....hospital again?

Yeah, 'cos people just bomb down without looking and inspecting. You get a new course, you walk it first and THEN practice it. ESPECIALLY on a "national level" XCO track. If there's a feature you're not comfortable with, skip it and take the B line. That's why it's there, and it's only fair that if you can't hack it, you need to take the slower route. Even in Luke Moir's intro / track preview vid he highlighted that particualr segment and said "you shouldn't be going full gas here" and said it was pretty sketch if you got it wrong or went in with too much speed. Which is GOOD. But people don't think, and they think everything's hunky dory and plough straight in without looking. 

I dunno Quagga. 

I get the whole plank debate, but if you land in such a way so to not fully land on the plank? 

i.e.you get pushed sideways by the wind, and your back wheel does not make the plank? Proper case is going to send you to hospital anyway, with possibly worse injuries.

I am more for the progressive jumps side by side, G-Spot style, where you grow into them, as mentioned by Myles.

I dunno Quagga. 

I get the whole plank debate, but if you land in such a way so to not fully land on the plank? 

i.e.you get pushed sideways by the wind, and your back wheel does not make the plank? Proper case is going to send you to hospital anyway, with possibly worse injuries.

I am more for the progressive jumps side by side, G-Spot style, where you grow into them, as mentioned by Myles.

We put a plank up in Majick years ago at one of the gaps...it was a WIDE plank and helped a few of us to learn the clear that gap....then one does not ride for a while and when you come back you could at least use the plank/board to build confidence again.

Kids went and detroyed our build

Sorta jumping in here... but anyway.

By putting planks in the middle of a gap jump people can now roll over it instead of jumping it - it ruins the take-off. It's simple, if you can't do a jump then don't. It's mountain biking, it's a dangerous sport, progression will cost you some skin - make peace with that.

When we compare our trails with international standards it's a joke (not a condemnation of Tygerberg specifically, but SA trails in general). Bikes can turn without berms, and slow speed chunk is fun - but you have to be willing to take a tumble or two if you want to learn. I don't understand why we don't have the tech stuff to match Europe and Canada - I thought us South Africans are supossed to be a bit tougher.