Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Thoughts on the new Black Rhino trail at Conters?

Definitely shouldn't be rated black - it's about as techy as Cobra is.

Really good fun though, good flow linking up with the bottom section.

Edited by JasonS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun, and agree completely. Def not a black. 

Are you taking the gap jumps or the chicken runs? going around the rock gardens or through them? If through or over them how fast or slow? btw that section was built strictly by the land owners who are accomplished Black Trail Riders #justsaying.

That new section is great and to my intermediate eye looks like it can be scaled up or down in terms or risk and techiness depending on line choice. I like it but don't like having to choose that or cheeky corners or a moerse hill to do both.

What's a gap?

Are you taking the gap jumps or the chicken runs? going around the rock gardens or through them? If through or over them how fast or slow? btw that section was built strictly by the land owners who are accomplished Black Trail Riders #justsaying.

That new section is great and to my intermediate eye looks like it can be scaled up or down in terms or risk and techiness depending on line choice. I like it but don't like having to choose that or cheeky corners or a moerse hill to do both.

Yes, Rob & co have built another fantastic trail. But it's not a true black, not anywhere close. It's fun as hell, but it's a Tygerberg black. 

You guys are funny always bringing up that black rating topic, and honestly who gives a damn...

I've ridden black trails at Helderberg that were easier than the blue trails at conties, and over there the double blacks are way easier than the normal blacks at conties...

Anyways, yes black rhino is an easy black if you compare it to the revised, but it's also great because you have so many options to go through, you can take the rough line, the easy line or the B line almost everywhere, so you can go ride it with you "less skilled" friends without worrying too much.

Actually if you think about it, the Cobra's black rating probably only relies on the rock feature close to the end, that can be quite sketch and has no B line, when you can chicken out on everything on the black rhino  :w00t: On jonkershoek standars I'd personnaly rate Black Rhino red, but Cobra is a tricky one, I don't recall seeing anything technical that couldn't be avoided on Red Phoenix/Armageddon... On the other hand on Tokai's Snakes trails, there are quite a few technical bits to go over and only one is rated black...  :wacko:

Edited by Jbr

It's important to be realistic - that's why it gets raised so often.

Why say it's black and scare off people? It's literally completely ridable by a novice. So why call it black?

If you rate it more realistically, maybe more people will ride it and maybe one day they'll try one of them gap things...

You guys are funny always bringing up that black rating topic, and honestly who gives a damn...

I've ridden black trails at Helderberg that were easier than the blue trails at conties, and over there the double blacks are way easier than the normal blacks at conties...

Anyways, yes black rhino is an easy black if you compare it to the revised, but it's also great because you have so many options to go through, you can take the rough line, the easy line or the B line almost everywhere, so you can go ride it with you "less skilled" friends without worrying too much.

Actually if you think about it, the Cobra's black rating probably only relies on the rock feature close to the end, that can be quite sketch and has no B line, when you can chicken out on everything on the black rhino  :w00t: On jonkershoek standars I'd personnaly rate Black Rhino red, but Cobra is a tricky one, I don't recall seeing anything technical that couldn't be avoided on Red Phoenix/Armageddon... On the other hand on Tokai's Snakes trails, there are quite a few technical bits to go over and only one is rated black...  :wacko:

fair point, I was seing those criticism more like "oh I'm so hardcore this trail is way too easy for me"

that's not at all what's being said. What needs to be clear is the rating standards. If someone rode Rhino or Cobra tomorrow, they'd think "oh, I can ride a black trail, excellent" and then apply that same attitude to something like Plumber, Iron Monkey or Status Quo in Jonkershoek. And promptly die (not really, but you know what I mean)

Tygerberg's rating system is whack. That's all. Conters main line is black, yes. As is Revised. Rhino is not. It's still damn fun, but a black trail it is not.  

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

that's not at all what's being said. What needs to be clear is the rating standards. If someone rode Rhino or Cobra tomorrow, they'd think "oh, I can ride a black trail, excellent" and then apply that same attitude to something like Plumber, Iron Monkey or Status Quo in Jonkershoek. And promptly die (not really, but you know what I mean)

Tygerberg's rating system is whack. That's all. Conters main line is black, yes. As is Revised. Rhino is not. It's still damn fun, but a black trail it is not.  

If you ride a black trail at Conties or Hoogies & all of sudden you think you can go to Jonkies and ride a black trail and something happens to you then you are just plain tjoopid. At every trail head black or DH it says inspect first doesnt it, so you if you do that you'll know what you are capable of right?

If you ride a black trail at Conties or Hoogies & all of sudden you think you can go to Jonkies and ride a black trail and something happens to you then you are just plain tjoopid. At every trail head black or DH it says inspect first doesnt it, so you if you do that you'll know what you are capable of right?

Yes, but you've made my point for me. 

The difficulty ratings should be more or less the same across the board. Fact is, they're not. Jonkers blacks are proper blacks, Cobra and Rhino are not. It's been said by me and many other people, numerous times. 

Besides, how many people actually inspect the trail before they ride it? Present company excluded.