Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

If it has a sign at the top saying don'tbe a moron I do .... because I know I am one

Yes, but you've made my point for me.

The difficulty ratings should be more or less the same across the board. Fact is, they're not. Jonkers blacks are proper blacks, Cobra and Rhino are not. It's been said by me and many other people, numerous times.

Besides, how many people actually inspect the trail before they ride it? Present company excluded.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it has a sign at the top saying don'tbe a moron I do .... because I know I am one

It's a great approach to have. One that more people should have, but not many do. Too many people think that if they can ride a black trail here, they can ride a black trail there. It's giving them false security and opening up for potential problems when they encounter a trail that's been graded appropriately. 

Yes, but you've made my point for me. 

The difficulty ratings should be more or less the same across the board. Fact is, they're not. Jonkers blacks are proper blacks, Cobra and Rhino are not. It's been said by me and many other people, numerous times. 

Besides, how many people actually inspect the trail before they ride it? Present company excluded. 

you are never going to satisfy everyone, had they marked it blue, someone attempts that pallet gap jump on the Rhino and comes short or crashes on the other side, then we all know what will happen next, a Tygerberg MTB bashing fest until thy kingdom come ....oops well we already there so dont stop now fire away.

imo for that piece of trail rather black than blue, if you had to compare it to super tubes & cheeky corners which are blue rated. If Rhino had no chicken runs then its definitely Black. Something I noticed as well its marked "Black Enduro" not Black Conties Mainline DH Black as you alluded to earlier, is there a difference? serious question. I dont have enough knowledge to make that distinction.

Not sure, but is there a standardized rating system in South Africa? If so who authorizes the colour of choice?

I know the ratings we using currently is based on international standards and then even so, not all the rules are applied locally either. 

mmmh I don't know there's probably plenty of die hard idiots in this world, I do Conties Revised from the top (with the 1st part of the mainline), I do Tokai's cobra, I've never attempted Conties DH, and went to Jonkershoek last week on a wet day for the first time and only did Red Phoenix and Armageddon because I wanted to make the most of my time there, and ride instead of walk. While waiting for a slow poke on the climbs, I walked a little bit of Iron Monkey and thought I'd give it a try next time...

I've watched plenty of videos about the plumber, I know the day I try it I'll probably have to walk a few bits... 

Anyways, my point is, I know I can do black trails, but I also know if I go on a black trail that I don't know, I make sure I go at appropriate speed so that I can stop if I feel something's tricky and needs to be looked at before deciding to ride it, around it or walk it.... I'd assume anyone in their right minds do the same, but maybe not...

Edited by Jbr

Isnt the segment "short enduro to jump" above supertubes also a blue? and thats got a rock garden too... whats the difference?

That jump is also bigger than either of the 2 on rhino.

you are never going to satisfy everyone, had they marked it blue, someone attempts that pallet gap jump on the Rhino and comes short or crashes on the other side, then we all know what will happen next, a Tygerberg MTB bashing fest until thy kingdom come ....oops well we already there so dont stop now fire away.

imo for that piece of trail rather black than blue, if you had to compare it to super tubes & cheeky corners which are blue rated. If Rhino had no chicken runs then its definitely Black. Something I noticed as well its marked "Black Enduro" not Black Conties Mainline DH Black as you alluded to earlier, is there a difference? serious question. I dont have enough knowledge to make that distinction.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/contermans-freeride-track/ it's rated as black on trailforks, and in my opinion the rockgarden at the top is trickier than any of the sections on the black rhino as you must line it up properly to hit the rock drop. The pallet jump is scarier in my opinion than the two on black rhino, but I haven't yet done any of the 3, maybe when I'm big and my balls grow out

Edited by Jbr

It's a great approach to have. One that more people should have, but not many do. Too many people think that if they can ride a black trail here, they can ride a black trail there. It's giving them false security and opening up for potential problems when they encounter a trail that's been graded appropriately. 

I hear you, but in reality how many people will ride one black trail at Tygerberg and based on that suddenly have the confidence to go and ride any black trail and go and "kill" themselves?

Surely if you ride somewhere new anyone with some sense of self-preservation will be cautious of the unknown?

I hear you, but in reality how many people will ride one black trail at Tygerberg and based on that suddenly have the confidence to go and ride any black trail and go and "kill" themselves?

Surely if you ride somewhere new anyone with some sense of self-preservation will be cautious of the unknown?

That is exactly why trail grading must be consistent. That way you ALWAYS KNOW if you can ride a trail.

Damn the amount of people walking the W2W "Technical" sections was scary.......

That is exactly why trail grading must be consistent. That way you ALWAYS KNOW if you can ride a trail.

Damn the amount of people walking the W2W "Technical" sections was scary.......

But surely Tygerberg doesn't suck the grading out of their thumbs? afaik there are specific criteria and if there are features on the trail that meet that criteria then that is how the grade is determined?

Can you say for certain that the trail discussed here doesn't meet the criteria or is it just a gut feel because it "seems to easy"? (I haven't ridden the new trail myself)

Surely a noob shouldn't be able to ride a black trail?

And I can tell you for certain that anyone can ride the rhino.

But surely Tygerberg doesn't suck the grading out of their thumbs? afaik there are specific criteria and if there are features on the trail that meet that criteria then that is how the grade is determined?

Can you say for certain that the trail discussed here doesn't meet the criteria or is it just a gut feel because it "seems to easy"? (I haven't ridden the new trail myself)

Can you take me down rhino

you sure ?  :eek:

Every weekend we see some REAL newbies on the Meerendal and Bloemendal trails .... OFTEN people walk "easy" sections .... and every so often people actually do manage to fall on supposedly easy sections ....

Letting these people think that a "possibly black" trail is ridable may just end in even more heli-lifts to hospital ....

BUT, as somebody pointed out earlier in this thread .... when a newer rider do manage these "black trails", that may create a dangerous expectation that they can actually ride "real black trails" ....

given the number of heli-lifts of the trails it is clear there are many that over estimate their skill level ....

you sure ?  :eek:

Every weekend we see some REAL newbies on the Meerendal and Bloemendal trails .... OFTEN people walk "easy" sections .... and every so often people actually do manage to fall on supposedly easy sections ....

Letting these people think that a "possibly black" trail is ridable may just end in even more heli-lifts to hospital ....

BUT, as somebody pointed out earlier in this thread .... when a newer rider do manage these "black trails", that may create a dangerous expectation that they can actually ride "real black trails" ....

given the number of heli-lifts of the trails it is clear there are many that over estimate their skill level ....

Dude, I see riders unclipping on the cycle lane at dropped intersections or tighter turns ... I kid you not!

But if someone does not have the skills to ride a trial they should walk the tech sections, there most certainly is shame in walking any sections of trail!