Carbon wheelset for Road Bike, help needed?

AllAboutRides

Hi Hubbers

I’m new to road biking and recently got told that the only thing I need to upgrade on road bike is the wheels.

Carbon wheels 40mm....please I dont understand this mm thing / deep section or carbon clincher stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding carbon wheels and what difference it will make?

Any advice or help will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Before you go believing the advice of a million Hubbers, I suggest that you go YouTube every video about carbon wheels you possibly can..

Dropping a large amount of cash on something you seem to, right now, understand very little about, is a sure way to give someone else a bargain wheelset later on.

Learn about depth of rims, and what that does for your ride, the pros and cons of shallower or deeper rims.. Learn about spoke counts and what would be most suitable for your weight and riding style.. Yes, even roadies have a style when riding.. Learn about braking surfaces, wheel width, and rim shape.. Learn about the hubs you want to get involved with, and even the serviceability of your preferred wheels..

Once you've learned all about that, you'll have come to a pretty sure choice for your needs, to suit your budget...

Maybe carbon wheels aren't really what you need, and a power meter could be way more beneficial to your ride.... Now go YouTube the crap out of power meters and how you use them...

Hi Hubbers

I’m new to road biking and recently got told that the only thing I need to upgrade on road bike is the wheels.

Carbon wheels 40mm....please I dont understand this mm thing / deep section or carbon clincher stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding carbon wheels and what difference it will make?

Regards

This is meant in the best possible way...

If you're wondering what 40mm carbon wheels are about, then I'd hazard a guess that you're better off with the wheels you're on currently. Once you've figured our for yourself why your current wheels aren't working for you, and 40mm sections WILL, then upgrade. Until then, enjoy every mile your legs make you move. Smell every breeze (and every car fume), watch every bird take flight, and listen how each little stone pings to the side of the road off your wheels as you ride over it.

I've said this before, so here it is again... best money I've spent on biking is getting a bike fit. It meant I was more comfortable, could ride longer and further and had more power in doing so. Bike fitter was also able to accommodate my gammy leg and neck. been a happy camper since

This is meant in the best possible way...

If you're wondering what 40mm carbon wheels are about, then I'd hazard a guess that you're better off with the wheels you're on currently. Once you've figured our for yourself why your current wheels aren't working for you, and 40mm sections WILL, then upgrade. Until then, enjoy every mile your legs make you move. Smell every breeze (and every car fume), watch every bird take flight, and listen how each little stone pings to the side of the road off your wheels as you ride over it.

I've said this before, so here it is again... best money I've spent on biking is getting a bike fit. It meant I was more comfortable, could ride longer and further and had more power in doing so. Bike fitter was also able to accommodate my gammy leg and neck. been a happy camper since

^^^^^ what the cat said - if you dont know what you are doing or why then why are you doing something because other people said you should - when YOU know why then go upgrade

We are always wanting to upgrade. Lots of factors to consider. What bike do you currently have and the specs? What is your level of competition or intended use on the road. In Cape Town its a general rule to stick to 30-40 mm deep wheels. That is the actual height of the rim wall. As an example Zipp 303's are perfect for Cpt. Are you going to use them exclusively for race days or as your everyday wheels? Carbon wheels use specific brake pads ( I am not including older wheels with aluminium brake beads. You can get dual compound brake pads for alu and carbon but not as good as carbon specific pads.

Hi Hubbers

Regards

1. I think you just need to ride your bike more and enjoy it without worrying about upgrades unless you have an obsessive itch - scratching only makes it worse.

2. Carbon deep section wheels vs good shallow wheels?? there is only differences once the speed picks up and generally only after say +/-35kmh when you are in the wind and not in the mid bunch (crosswinds are bad with deep sections (40mm+ generally)

3.Deep section wheels are carbon since making them that deep out of metal would be heavier.

4.braking will suffer on carbon brake track rims but that does not matter since braking is for sissies.

5. at the end of the day and you realise #1 and still buy carbon wheels anyway.

Edited by s14phoenix

Deep section carbon wheels look the biz niz but like everyone has said above they might just be a waste of your hard earned zar. A mate of mine went through 2 sets of 50mm carbon hoops before settling on a much shallower set of ally campy wheels and he is much happier with them. Look, whoever told you that you need to upgrade wheels might not be wrong. Often standard wheels are heavier and cheaper than the rest of the bike and a decent set of wheels will make a big difference but they don't have to be carbon.

Do some more research/ask questions here and learn a bit more about wheels in general before spending the money.

If you are new to road cycling then sticking with a strong set of training wheels may be a better idea. "Race" wheels break rather easily, all it takes is a pot hole so it gets very expensive quickly.

After a while you get better at avoiding them and other road hazards then maybe reconsider, and then you will also have a better idea of what you want.

OP, something to note. If you train on ally braking surface wheels and race on carbon braking surface wheels you will need to swop over pads every time. If the ally pads pick up some ally off the rim and you then use it on carbon, you will scratch the carbon and stuff them up 6 love.

From Roadcyclinguk.com: "So what’s the point of carbon wheels? Well, they’ll make you faster, providing you’re already pretty fast. And if you’re not fast, they’ll make you look cooler, which is like being fast but when you’re standing still."

Maybe the OP has bought a really kick ass carbon bike with DI2 etc and the only thing left to upgrade are the wheels?

I'd love some carbon wheels but I just can't justify spending the same on wheels as I did on an entire bike. Next upgrade will be Electronic groupset. But only when they release 105 DI2 or Force Etap.

Maybe the OP has bought a really kick ass carbon bike with DI2 etc and the only thing left to upgrade are the wheels?

I'd love some carbon wheels but I just can't justify spending the same on wheels as I did on an entire bike. Next upgrade will be Electronic groupset. But only when they release 105 DI2 or Force Etap.

And replace rim brakes with disk brakes after that... :ph34r:

Merida Reacto /Ultegra Groupset but ally wheels