Tubeless on the road

Popit

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yeah 6 months is too long between top ups. Even in my Mtb tyres I too at least once every two months in winter and monthly in summer. I do ride a lot though.

the continuous churn and heat cycling gets the binder adhering to the tyre wall so the plugging material just gets blown out of the hole. The binder is important so top is required 

in my road tyres I top up monthly even in winter.

dont you just land up with way to much liquid in the tyres topping up every month ?

And surely that is also diluting the mixture.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

dont you just land up with way to much liquid in the tyres topping up every month ?

And surely that is also diluting the mixture.

I take the tyre off wash out, refit and top up with fresh sealant. After a month the sealant is very watery and there’s very little plugging ability left. But as I said I ride around 250-350 km per week so you may be able to stretch it out a bit but not by much

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I take the tyre off wash out, refit and top up with fresh sealant. After a month the sealant is very watery and there’s very little plugging ability left. But as I said I ride around 250-350 km per week so you may be able to stretch it out a bit but not by much

That alot of work every month.

Based on your mileage I could do it every second month, but still. Especially if I take into account that I need to take the wheels to the local petrol station to reseat the tyres.

Eish.

The joys. 

11 minutes ago, ouzo said:

That alot of work every month.

Based on your mileage I could do it every second month, but still. Especially if I take into account that I need to take the wheels to the local petrol station to reseat the tyres.

Eish.

The joys. 

I admire folks that have the time go to all this trouble, clearly i spend to much time on the couch instead of maintaining my bike(s)

2 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

I admire folks that have the time go to all this trouble, clearly i spend to much time on the couch instead of maintaining my bike(s)

yeah as it is I dont have enough time on the weekends to do what I need to.

Half of saturday is spent at work. I dont have garden services and I DIY everything else around the house.

But, I cant afford to replace parts on the bike so I have to keep up with maintenance.

It's 5 mins to do, you can even just do it through the valve by taking the core out (not easy with stan's race though as the bits inside clog the seringe). Don't forget to give the sealant a good shake before, so that what you put in your tyre is loaded with the tiny bits that are supposed to help sealing any puctures.

I really don't top up my MTB that often though (I actually never do, except before an important race, if I don't put on new tyres for the occasion), and I think I never had a flat on the MTB in 3 years and 7700 km (according to strava).

Even on the road I didn't have many bad experiences with tubeless, except on vittoria tyres that were impossible to seat.

I seat my tires with a floor pump no problem both on the mtb and road bike

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

It's 5 mins to do, you can even just do it through the valve by taking the core out (not easy with stan's race though as the bits inside clog the seringe). Don't forget to give the sealant a good shake before, so that what you put in your tyre is loaded with the tiny bits that are supposed to help sealing any puctures.

I really don't top up my MTB that often though (I actually never do, except before an important race, if I don't put on new tyres for the occasion), and I think I never had a flat on the MTB in 3 years and 7700 km (according to strava).

Even on the road I didn't have many bad experiences with tubeless, except on vittoria tyres that were impossible to seat.

I seat my tires with a floor pump no problem both on the mtb and road bike

The method DnD uses to remove the tyre, clean and reinstall is alot of work. But your method of topping up through the valve is what I've been doing on my 6 month topups.

Unfortunately I've never successfully reseated my tyres using my floor pump. And i try my luck every time. I normally tire myself out furiously pumping before I finally give up and head off to the nearest fuel station.

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The method DnD uses to remove the tyre, clean and reinstall is alot of work. But your method of topping up through the valve is what I've been doing on my 6 month topups.

Unfortunately I've never successfully reseated my tyres using my floor pump. And i try my luck every time. I normally tire myself out furiously pumping before I finally give up and head off to the nearest fuel station.

it explains your previous statement ;) 

personnaly I find it easier to mess through the valve, so I just take the tyre out of the rim for 10cm, take some of the water off (sometimes it's clear water) with paper towel, top up and put the tyre back in. I don't even take the wheel off of the bike. Guess I was always lucky because I always had easy rims/tyres to put back on, road and MTB (except vittoria)

Edited by Jbr

the Giant tubeless syringe kit has a little tube that goes into the valve hole to extract any liquid so you don't have to remove the tyre.

It do remove the tyre, especially the road bike tyres because there's not enough volume in them and any solidified sealant creates some wheel balance issues at high speed. I also like to inspect cuts to see if they need a patch to reinforce. Removal allows me to keep things working reliably. If the sealant is still fine I put it back into the 5L bottle and shake it all up before reapply sealant when I[m ready to refit tyres.

Road tubeless has been a bit of a phaff for me and I'm quote pedantic about my tyre reliability when cruising around cape Point on my own at 7am.

I check my mtb tyres for glass and thorns that may be lodged in the rubber and breaking through the inner casing. If I ever need to fit a tube, having a broken off thorn puncture the tube won't be terribly amusing.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

the Giant tubeless syringe kit has a little tube that goes into the valve hole to extract any liquid so you don't have to remove the tyre.

It do remove the tyre, especially the road bike tyres because there's not enough volume in them and any solidified sealant creates some wheel balance issues at high speed. I also like to inspect cuts to see if they need a patch to reinforce. Removal allows me to keep things working reliably. If the sealant is still fine I put it back into the 5L bottle and shake it all up before reapply sealant when I[m ready to refit tyres.

Road tubeless has been a bit of a phaff for me and I'm quote pedantic about my tyre reliability when cruising around cape Point on my own at 7am.

I check my mtb tyres for glass and thorns that may be lodged in the rubber and breaking through the inner casing. If I ever need to fit a tube, having a broken off thorn puncture the tube won't be terribly amusing.

And in my experience so many times riders put tubes into mtb tubeless tires and then have a puncture soon after ... very good tip that!

On the very odd occasion I have had to I find a smallish stone and run it around the inside of the tire to at least try to break off any pieces sticking through. Worked so far. 

Edited by NotSoBigBen
Spelling

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

in my road tyres I top up monthly even in winter.

Do you "top up" as in just adding fresh sealant or do you strip/clean/replace.?

Apologies - I see the preferred methods have been addressed in subsequent posts.

Edited by Thomo

1 minute ago, Thomo said:

Do you "top up" as in just adding fresh sealant or do you strip/clean/replace.?

I strip clean replace. Its difficult to check for thorns and glass if the tyres still on the rim

I save the sealant thats left by removing with a large syringe with a bit of rubber tubing attached to the end so I can draw out most of it. Then remove the tyre, and roll it inside out and scrub the inside with hot soapy water and a soft plastic floor scrubbing brush. Often I'll break the thorns off and expose bits of glass. Remove these and if there's a cut as result of the glass removal patch it then and there.

If you're using thicker trail tyres then maybe this is not so necessary. I use XC tyres and I hate puncturing my get me home tube. 

42 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I top up sealant about every 3 month, certainly before events.

I also use the Giant tube kit to remove excess "milk" every 6 months.  

After a recent puncture on the HT, aka road bike, the frame was covered in Sludge.  The Giant tube kit only extracted about 15ml of Sludge !!

I absolutely hate removing and refitting a tire .... the tube kit just works SO much better

I was forced to use Stan's because Orange Seal wasn't available here at the time. It didn't seal the puncture and it left an awful mess. I ended up removing the front derailleur and crank and separating the chain rings to clear all the mess off. Never again. 

Orange Seal peels off easily with just a finger. 

Orange Seal has fixed punctures instantly at 95psi (this is before we were told theax should be 75psi). Anyway, I rode that was for over 10,000km no issues 

I use Enduro seal in my MTB tyres and have great results as in it always sealing when needed . I recently bought road tubes with sealant in ( on special at CL) and put them in and also tyre liners  . On my Saturday morning ride i picked up a puncture and it dropped the pressure slightly ( i ride 6bar ) but still comfortable enough to carry on riding . At home i checked the tyre for offending puncture but saw nothing so just pumped up again to 6 bar and it is still good . 

I am wanting to go tubeless on the road so my question is . 

1) do i need special  rims or can i just use rim tape and a good gorilla tape over that .

2) do i need tubeless ready tyres as with  MTB tyres 

3) how much sealant do i put in . 

• 1 month later...

Bump

As above. I am on the fence about converting my tube road setup (60mm clinchers) to tubeless…

is it worth it? 

can any carbon rim be converted to tubeless using rim tape, valve and sealant with tl tires?

Are there any benefits in rolling resistance and comfort? I currently ride at 7 bar tubed to prevent snake bites with the carbon rims.