Rouvy - worth the bother for virtual rides?

mecheng89

Rouvy is better value than Zwift purely for the amount of available routes esp. ones with video and the ability to add your own routes (created from scratch or taken from strava, ridewithGPS, etc); paired with a smart trainer it makes for a easy, safe training experience that, in reality, is a harder ride than doing the same ride on the road (about 10-15%)

S

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried Rouvy a few times. The ride is much harder compared to the road/ zwift. Also, the incline on the Bushido smart trainer feels much harder, played around with the settings, but no improvement.

So I see Rouvy has announced a "Augmented Reality" addition to their platform:

https://rouvy.com/en/augmented-reality

Currently in private beta, but certainly looks interesting. If it works with races, it will make a nice change from chasing dots on a map :)

I think they are sending invites for people using the Windows platform first.

It will be interesting to see how well the 3D combines with the route videos, hopefully they don't take too long before sending out invites for Android or iOS users as well.

Ah kakka

Now I’m going to have to upgrade my 19voetsek Lap top

So I gave Rouvy (free) a try the other evening and loaded the R4V 2017 route. Crikey, it didn't feel realistic. I know the stretch heading out of ex-Boswell pretty well and damn I don't remember it being that difficult! So now I'm pretty hesitant to use it. 

I have tried Rouvy a few times. The ride is much harder compared to the road/ zwift. Also, the incline on the Bushido smart trainer feels much harder, played around with the settings, but no improvement.

Concur. But I used the Genius trainer. 

So I gave Rouvy (free) a try the other evening and loaded the R4V 2017 route. Crikey, it didn't feel realistic. I know the stretch heading out of ex-Boswell pretty well and damn I don't remember it being that difficult! So now I'm pretty hesitant to use it.

Did you use the route editor to adjust and edit accordingly or just imported a gpx file and rode it?

https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004304585-What-do-I-need-to-create-my-own-route-

So I gave Rouvy (free) a try the other evening and loaded the R4V 2017 route. Crikey, it didn't feel realistic. I know the stretch heading out of ex-Boswell pretty well and damn I don't remember it being that difficult! So now I'm pretty hesitant to use it.

I'll test again on Rouvy next week when I home again. Though my Vortex Smart only goes to 6%, maybe that's why I have not really felt this

• 2 weeks later...

Zwift is the BOSS.

I run it on Apple TV - virtually bullet proof. I create training programmes and workouts on Trainer Road. They sync perfectly. I do the occasional race on Zwift, but primarily it's workouts for me.

Zwift is the BOSS.

I run it on Apple TV - virtually bullet proof. I create training programmes and workouts on Trainer Road. They sync perfectly. I do the occasional race on Zwift, but primarily it's workouts for me.

And......after that wonderful hijack, have you ever used Rouvy?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone compared Zwift vs Tacx vs Rouvy. I understand that each app will have its strengths/weaknesses. Zwift is just "too small" and too repetitive when doing the normal routes (not workouts). If generally do 40km minimum per indoor ride and using Zwift you end up riding the same routes/road over and over and over and over again. The Zwift "world" is VERY small. I have been using Tacx for years (TTS4) and although their software (not the desktop version) is buggy their Real Life Videos appeal to me. I don't mind riding against myself. So I have spent a small fortune over the years on Tacx videos. TTS4 however now is End of Life and I thus want to switch to the new Tacx Desktop (plenty RLV's)! How does Tacx desktop RLV compare to Rouvy RLV's? Does Rouvy has a fairly large pool of HD Video Rides to choose from? Flat and Hilly options? There is no library on the website. to check what they have? Also..must you download a video before you ride (i.e. it doesn't stream)? Apologies for all the questions..

Rouvy's UI needs some work, I can't seem to filter only on HD videos, for example. But certified routes with video, over a hundred apparently. Lots of videos of climbs, probably less of flat routes.

You don't have to download them prior to riding, as far as I know, although you do have the option.

I have not done a comparison of the two though. Last time I tried the new Tacx app on my tablet, it didn't like the aspect ratio of the screen plus would crash far too often.

Edit: Right now I'm using mainly Zwift on Android, trying to finish the Zwift Academy thing. They're a bit slow to update the Android beta, in my opinion, we'll see how it looks by the time I've finished ZA, then I might go back to mostly Rouvy.

Edited by HdB

An HD video has never helped me up a 14% climb before...so I've never been critic about video resolution while the sweat drips over my tablet...

Zwift does seem to make it easy to just climb on and ride!

What I love about Rouvy is that the system is so versatile!

I'm trying to get back into a training routine again...I don't want to follow a route until I can push the watts and do the course justice...

I use Free Ride on Rouvy and then put a CTS video on the telly (kind of a sinning video).

As the video changes from steady state, to climbs, to sprints, I manually change the power (resistance) with the up and down arrows (I use Apple Ipad).

Really a great workout and I can adjust the power settings as i build up strength.