Kalahari Vegmot

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, King Pluto said:

Gotta love the aesthetic of the blue cable ties👌

Cable ties do not belong on a bicycle. There are far more elegant solutions.

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Meh... Tell that to the race organizers.... 😂. They should rather give us timing wrist bands 😂

1 minute ago, Matthew du preez said:

Meh... Tell that to the race organizers.... 😂. They should rather give us timing wrist bands 😂

They give out cable ties, you don't have to use them...

3 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

They give out cable ties, you don't have to use them...

Speaking of cable ties, some people have way to much faith in their strength.

Stopped at one of the Shell Ultras near on of the dorpies on the way back from Cape Town. Next to us was a trailer loaded with bikes. About 20 bikes is what I counted.

But these bikes appeared to only be strapped on with cable ties. Yes they were on the this side, but I've seen thick cable ties fail way to easily for me to trust them to hold bikes onto a trailer.

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Speaking of cable ties, some people have way to much faith in their strength.

Stopped at one of the Shell Ultras near on of the dorpies on the way back from Cape Town. Next to us was a trailer loaded with bikes. About 20 bikes is what I counted.

But these bikes appeared to only be strapped on with cable ties. Yes they were on the this side, but I've seen thick cable ties fail way to easily for me to trust them to hold bikes onto a trailer.

And then on the other hand I saw many MANY years ago, a local rally team finished a rally stage having tied their drive shaft up with cable ties because the drive shaft bolts came loose and got damaged and could not be used again

25 minutes ago, King Pluto said:

Gotta love the aesthetic of the blue cable ties👌

That was after my second ride on the bike, just after lock down.

Cable ties were soon replaced :thumbup:

PS - I was half expecting some clever comment about that horrible big light on the left .... :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

And then on the other hand I saw many MANY years ago, a local rally team finished a rally stage having tied their drive shaft up with cable ties because the drive shaft bolts came loose and got damaged and could not be used again

Yeah, sure, they have a purpose. Either as actual cable ties, or in an emergency situation.

As a permanent thing on a bike, that's a no from me.

7 hours ago, ouzo said:

I'm looking for a rechargeable front light for one of my wash bay gents. Whilst he primarily uses his bike for transport (and this is when he needs the lights the most) he is also a keen cyclist.

He is willing to pay a few hundred, but doesnt earn all that much so if I can get him something for nothing it would help.

Chris, here's a light for you - 5 stage settings plus strobe. 2500mah battery pack - I've hardly used it. Battery lasts about 2 hours on setting 4 or 5. Can't remember the brand but it works like a bomb. Uses the older style USB to charge it. I'll throw in the cable too

Yours for the gent that needs it, mahala. Pm for collection details tomorrow or Friday 👍

IMG_20220316_224625.jpg.e2ae09a4c3e4a973d9d6e01912252ff5.jpg

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

That was after my second ride on the bike, just after lock down.

Cable ties were soon replaced :thumbup:

PS - I was half expecting some clever comment about that horrible big light on the left .... :ph34r:

I have always questioned people's choices when it comes to front lights as a lot of them either have 2 to 3 or they have a very big/long light.

Personal I can't have something so big, especially on a road bike.

Edited by King Pluto

8 hours ago, 117 said:

Chris, here's a light for you - 5 stage settings plus strobe. 2500mah battery pack - I've hardly used it. Battery lasts about 2 hours on setting 4 or 5. Can't remember the brand but it works like a bomb. Uses the older style USB to charge it. I'll throw in the cable too

Yours for the gent that needs it, mahala. Pm for collection details tomorrow or Friday 👍

IMG_20220316_224625.jpg.e2ae09a4c3e4a973d9d6e01912252ff5.jpg

Thanks 117, Dexter has sorted me out with a light.

18 hours ago, TNT1 said:

On a high end road bike, I can maybe agree with you.  But other bikes & MTB I see no issue with the odd cable tie here and there.