Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Or posted as "well maintained", but the fork is backwards:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/347019-wow-2013-titan-carbon-race-29er/

The fork is not backwards. If it was the brake calliper would be in the front. Some forks have the crown on the back...

I think desposable income is definitely decreasing. I can only fund my cycling needs through “specials” nowadays.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, right, i see now.

Keeping items as as live but renamed with "sold" just clutters the marketplace, like paging through a 2014 CAR magazine, seeing a porsche for R900 000 and then starting to shop for one finding them all priced R1.6 mil

I think there is space for both. I won't leave a SOLD ad up for some Ikons but more unique items are worthy SOLD items I reckon.

Slightly OT, but why do some sellers take the time and effort to edit their ads with **SOLD** (for example) in the title and choose to keep them published? If I search for something, I seem to come across ads that are up/current, yet have been marked as sold. Surely they should be deleted/removed rather?

I have always marked my ads as ' on hold' when they are and 'sold' for 24 - 48hrs max for  couple of reason.

1) so people who have been interested and may not have contacted me know it's status. I also try to contact everyone who enquires about something I'm selling but I'm not 100% perfect and 'sold' lets them know swell.  

2) because it gives a relevant guide to prices and market value. I've used 'sold' ads before to give me an idea on price, speed something sold at and the current value. 

3) so people who bought can rate if they want. 

TBH I get the same feeling when people start freaking out about cluttering up the adverts or the time it takes to having to scroll through them or site sponsors posting a few adverts in a row. Really, less than a second to scroll past? What did that stop? Curing cancer? Finding world peace? On a serious note, most people scroll through more adverts that aren't relevant / they aren't interested in than the very few 'sold' ones. 

Edited by T-Bob

Nothing wrong with the fork, google Manitou Fork as stated in the ad and you will find pretty much all their forks are such!!

My bad. Then I genuinely learnt something out of this. I will correct my post.

TBH I get the same feeling when people start freaking out about cluttering up the adverts or the tie it takes to having to scroll through them or site sponsors posting a few adverts in a row. Really, less than a second to scroll past? What did that stop? Curing cancer? Finding world peace? On a serious note, most people scroll through more adverts that aren't relevant / they rant' infested in than the very few 'sold' ones. 

This!

Using the SEARCH function correctly will limit the number of ads you'll see and if you get annoyed/irritated when scrolling classifieds I reckon you have have bigger problems that trying to find that elusive hub bargain.

A note to the annoyed/irritated - never drive a car in South Africa. Ever. The stress WILL kill you.

I have 137 ads I can repost with title marked as Sold

Wonder how many people will appreciate that

but why would you repost ........that is a little "odd"

Why did you mark them sold, would be weird to pull them then mark them sold. Unless you needed to remind yourself. Don't tell me you marked them sold and left them up... oh the horror. :eek:  

• 1 month later...

A lot of people selling on here are very unrealistic about their second hand stuff...........they want a bargain as an upgrade but are not prepared to compromise............

A typical example I had last week :

I bought a brand new kickr snap 2 out the box from my LBS for R7600.......seller on here wanted R 7000 for a second hand one ? 

Noticed that too, just think people don't do their research as have seen a few ads for snaps saying new R10k, and trying to sell for R7k

Maybe they just look at CWC prices which says R10k https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/wahoo-trainer-kickr-snap-20 and yet Cycle Lab is R8k https://www.cyclelab.com/product/wahoo-kickr-snap-2-0-trainer... thought they were one and the same?  :blink:

But you can pick it up for less than the R8 like you did... just poor research by the seller on current market prices.  

I get really annoyed with people trying to sell things close to or even over retail price. And seems to be very common. Some things i sell takes time, other things can sell within minutes. One thing i noticed as well - low end bikes sell better on facebook than on the hub. High end bikes and all other things such as components are better on the hub. If it doesnt sell, just drop the price incrementally until it does, and keep it if it doesnt sell for the lowest you'll take, simple. People are complaining about the fact that people want bargains, well of course they do, everyone does. Its basically the whole point of buying used stuff.