Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

TBH you might sell them if they were more expensive. Strange call but if something is too cheap then people get spooked. There is always this sense of paranoia around scammers on the hub and mix that with Oakleys (which have the be one of the most copied manufacturers about) and you'll get people asking. I wouldn't get offended about that, answer them honestly, let them know and they should sell. Lowballers are part of the deal unfortunately you get the most brazen and incredible stories wanting 50% off. I simply say 'the price is good so that's what it is. If I'd wanted to give 50% off I'd have increased the price by that'. 

Personally I've never had any issues selling kit quickly. I look after my stuff, sell at a good price and am upfront about issues. 

Yea i get that just giving a fellow hubber a cool deal on something i will never use.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if people get any sales on used sunglasses. That is like the absolute last item I would buy 2nd hand, right after clothing and a used chain.

Some items will just generate much more interest and other items will only attract low-ballers and scammers.

There is something to say for not putting your item in for too low a price, allot of things sell at a high price just for the buyer to say and feel that he has something expensive, like a Dura-Ace crank.

HOWEVER... in the same breath I also think guys tend to be expecting way too much for used cycling equipment, especially in the current economic climate where there is allot of uncertainty and companies are struggling.

Try and read the response rate and the type of responses you get to figure out whether you are pricing it too high or low. 

And please don't expect to offset 70% of your new item's cost by the selling of your old stuff. As a buyer I would then rather pay the 30% more to buy myself the new one you have your eye on....

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with todays bikes etc , is the cost at counter.
How can a basic new bike cost you 30K and i'm seeing this bike sell for 30-40 % less on hub a few month later ..... with upgraded components ?
Also dont think that is cool.

My other question was about retailers using the classifieds as their advertising space.

The likes of Bike Market etc

I like bike market and have had good service and just bought a bike from them at what I considered a good price. IMO it was underpriced.

So I'm selling my Old bike (2017 old?) and Bike Market want to offer me a price that I consider to be way too low. So sure, this is there business model and they need to make money but does this not then force the price down of second hand goods ..... which brings us to my first point ... are we paying too much to start with?

But the topic of the thread ... things do seem to be getting tighter !

Seems more going to fuel electricity blah blah ..... I think Im starting to whine ! :) 

it always amuses me when a bike that is a couple of years old sells for a very similar price for what it was selling at the time new....seen this a couple of times now.

but overall I do think the classifieds are healthy and working well.

if something is over priced it will not sell easily.

if something is priced well it will sell fast.

a friend bought a rather good looking MTB over the weekend, add was placed on Saturday, and Sunday evening the bike was in his being driven to a new loving home.

it always amuses me when a bike that is a couple of years old sells for a very similar price for what it was selling at the time new....seen this a couple of times now.

but overall I do think the classifieds are healthy and working well.

if something is over priced it will not sell easily.

if something is priced well it will sell fast.

a friend bought a rather good looking MTB over the weekend, add was placed on Saturday, and Sunday evening the bike was in his being driven to a new loving home.

wouldn't that "but overall..." look better if you use the edit function, specifically designed for that purpose?

To this day, I find that items in demand priced reasonably well sell, items not in demand and items that are overpriced, don't sell quickly or well. Nothing out of the ordinary, imo!

Classifieds have been weird , I

've put up highly valued items at super low prices and still sat with them for months , dropping the price to the point I'd rather just give it away 

and then other times I put medium value items up for probably more than I should and my phone blows up with all the guys trying to get it first 

The dawn of resellers has definitely had an impact but i think it boils down to " Niemand het geld "

Classifieds have been weird , I

've put up highly valued items at super low prices and still sat with them for months , dropping the price to the point I'd rather just give it away

and then other times I put medium value items up for probably more than I should and my phone blows up with all the guys trying to get it first

The dawn of resellers has definitely had an impact but i think it boils down to " Niemand het geld "

Also it depends what day of the month you advertise, I've noticed that if you put something up in the middle of the month you struggle to sell item as it eventually moves to the last page, but if it goes up a a day before pay day you get plenty responds

your question is off topic. It makes the website look contemporary and efficient and not full of technologically challenged members

Have you seen how many posters buy their first Garmin and start a thread with some stupid question that Google/Youtube/RTFM could have solved in 2 minutes? A gathering of tech-savvy youngsters the hub is not..

Back on topic, I've been reasonably happy with the classifieds. Plenty of scavengers and swindlers, yes, but for anybody with a healthy amount of skepticism the classifieds are an excellent tool.

That's selling.

Buying also not bad. I'm not fond of the bikeshops that sell used goods at inflated prices, feels like greasy used car salesmen butting in between a group of otherwise familiar people. I assume they support the site financially, which is good. So we live with it.

Overall a great tool, certainly my favorite way to buy and sell bike stuff.

your question is off topic. It makes the website look contemporary and efficient and not full of technologically challenged members

Wow, really?!

Just because someone prefer not to edit posts, now they are suddenly technologically challenged???

Many people (me included), prefer not to edit posts so it remains a true reflection of their comments, and would rather ad another post.

Who died and made you forum technology advisor...?

I was wondering if people get any sales on used sunglasses. That is like the absolute last item I would buy 2nd hand, right after clothing and a used chain.

Some items will just generate much more interest and other items will only attract low-ballers and scammers.

There is something to say for not putting your item in for too low a price, allot of things sell at a high price just for the buyer to say and feel that he has something expensive, like a Dura-Ace crank.

HOWEVER... in the same breath I also think guys tend to be expecting way too much for used cycling equipment, especially in the current economic climate where there is allot of uncertainty and companies are struggling.

Try and read the response rate and the type of responses you get to figure out whether you are pricing it too high or low.

And please don't expect to offset 70% of your new item's cost by the selling of your old stuff. As a buyer I would then rather pay the 30% more to buy myself the new one you have your eye on....

I have bought and sold a few pairs of shades over the past 10 years. Never had an issue. Some Oaks just have to have the latest Oakleys when they come out, but soon find out that they don't look quite as cool as George or Cav does, while wearing them in Le peleton, so they flog them at a good discount, in order to hide their embarrassment.

Others can take advantage of this and get themselves a bargain. Such is the beauty of this community which has flourished over the past 10 years. The tjops generally are weeded out fairly quickly and the rookies learn quite quickly. I smaak it stukkend... Yet there's nothing like a Ralley RC 3000 going for over 3k "slightly used" when they were 3k cash new at Linden Cycles 10 years ago.

Edited by CAAD4

The guys over value their items that's why its not selling .....plain and simple

I've seen 2nd hand bicycles sell for prices close to shop prices, be realistic with your prices because 2nd hand is 2nd hand

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk