Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Boet give the hubxpurts a gap

These guys are good, they know what the riders are doing wrong without even seeing them ride

Some of them have a strong xhoi San heritage because they can tell what the rider was thinking by reading their tyre tracks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of them have a strong xhoi San heritage because they can tell what the rider was thinking by reading their tyre tracks

That explains it, the San’s maths capability does not require knowledge of the brake bump equation:

wheels + brakes + soil + corners x riders = braking bumps

All the *** riding skills apologists on here can offer is sarcasm? Having actually watched average Epic riders negotiating a bit of single track it was pretty obvious there is a heinous lack of skill which no doubt includes braking. I've seen guys who've ridden 2 or 3 Epics who have no idea how their suspension works or how to set up their cockpit for one finger braking. If you cant set up the bike what are the chances you're going to ride right?

All the *** riding skills apologists on here can offer is sarcasm? Having actually watched average Epic riders negotiating a bit of single track it was pretty obvious there is a heinous lack of skill which no doubt includes braking. I've seen guys who've ridden 2 or 3 Epics who have no idea how their suspension works or how to set up their cockpit for one finger braking. If you cant set up the bike what are the chances you're going to ride right?

Hiw many Epics have you done??! Huh?

I can tell you what they were thinking when I see a tyre drag mark into a berm going straight across the lip of the berm.  :clap:

I can tell you what they were thinking when I see a tyre drag mark into a berm going straight across the lip of the berm.  :clap:

was it the skid mar in the chamois or the berm that gave it away??

My bad, i was texting while riding and had to send off a few emails when i hit those berms, the skid marks in my chamois was actually from kakking off up the King's climb which was opened up for the first time ever 'specially' for us epic riders :ph34r:

Calm your farm chap .... plenty pros out there, even amongst the gravity set who have no idea how their bike works. Other than how they want it to. 

Sure there's an argument for people understanding how to ride and understand their bike's mechanical magic. But at the end of the day despite bike setup and/or skillsets, any organised event is going to have an impact on the trail used.

Well worth watching

13 mins of coolness

Really enjoyed this, their ride report write-up is fantastic as well. 

Was kind of perplexed though when they commented how nice and considerate people were on the road!

Calm your farm chap .... plenty pros out there, even amongst the gravity set who have no idea how their bike works. Other than how they want it to. 

Sure there's an argument for people understanding how to ride and understand their bike's mechanical magic. But at the end of the day despite bike setup and/or skillsets, any organised event is going to have an impact on the trail used.

yeah, BUT. He was responding to the idiotic assertion that Epic riders (all of them) are skilled riders and nobody can comment unless they, too, have done the Epic. 

Really enjoyed this, their ride report write-up is fantastic as well. 

Was kind of perplexed though when they commented how nice and considerate people were on the road!

are they from the USA? Which state? I can believe their comments as try driving in Houston... :eek:

A very balanced response. I agree but.. 

The gravity ( and XC)/XCM) pro's you refer to don't need to know much because they are getting the info and set up from somone who does. Their bikes are always set up perfectly amd they are coached and trained to ride very well.

An amateur MTB rider needs to have more mechanical knowledge but perhaps thanks to the Epic and other events and over priced service packages ( and camper vans), many feel like thay are pros. The wheels fall off outside that environment, and sometimes during the very supported event when the oversubscribed service team stuff up the gear settings or something else happens en route. 

As to trail damage, yes for sure an event is always hard on  the trails.

Edited by Headshot

I agree with DnD re the berm radius. Attached is an example of a Helderberg berm:

Change of radius mid-berm

Wear on the preferred line (Post Epic)

New lower entry now being used

Perhaps Forster got caught by this change of radius, thinking he can carry more speed (he wiped out on one of these). Some of the berms are amongst trees, and the full berm is not visable on approch.

In general, the brake wear got better the further down the slope I went, and riders adjusted how much speed they took in.

Since when can a berm not have a change of radius?

I wonder if the lack of outright braking on most marathon bikes is part of the problem. With 160/140 rotors ( for weight ya know)  you cant adjust speed as swiftly as proper brakes. This will lead to panic brake dragging through a corner and an even greater liklihood of a slide especially when that develish "radius change" occurs...