Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must rememebr to check Zwift road frames tonight.....

Even Zwift uses the Aerotuck when descending... I wonder if you can crack a frame on that as well?   :ph34r:  :whistling:

Edited by Paulst12

A few warning stickers should be placed in the bikes, just to warn the rider of what is appropriate use and what is not. Besides one on the top tube, some other appropriate stickers may be required for our less insightful riders, like on your shifters "Do not sit here' or on your disc brakes 'Warning, do not sit on your disc brake, it may be hot!' or on your skewers 'Warning, it is dangerous to remove your skewers and sit on them!'

This is not about being for or against the OP, maybe lets try and not turn this into a Red vs Blue issue, where we pick a side then, fight for that side unconditionally. 

This is by no means a clear cut issue.

fair point.

let me clarify - i believe the super tuck is not outside the scope of a modern day bikes fundamental design.

further to this there is obviously a weight element to this which begs the question; where and when do you draw the line...

i think this case is a very grey area...

3 frames is going to raise eyebrows.

that said. my cannonade flash failed 3 times.

albeit in totally different ways each time

A few warning stickers should be placed in the bikes, just to warn the rider of what is appropriate use and what is not. Besides one on the top tube, some other appropriate stickers may be required for our less insightful riders, like on your shifters "Do not sit here' or on your disc brakes 'Warning, do not sit on your disc brake, it may be hot!' or on your skewers 'Warning, it is dangerous to remove your skewers and sit on them!'

Given your handle and avatar, I find your helpfulness rather suspicious  :P

Where were you sitting on it at the time? Fork? Seat stay?

fair point.

let me clarify - i believe the super tuck is not outside the scope of a modern day bikes fundamental design.

further to this there is obviously a weight element to this which begs the question; where and when do you draw the line...

i think this case is a very grey area...

3 frames is going to raise eyebrows.

Not grey at all. Call any manufacturer and ask the question.

I did, and was not surprised by the answers.

Stop trying to justify top-tube riding. 

Yeah sure, but I'm not interested in what percentage of their bikes have broken. The only statistics that would have any relevance to my point is the number of warranty claims (both successful and not) and the point of failure.

To your second point, I agree fully that it isn't a design issue. But if the top tube is as fragile as Canyon has indicated in their response, surely this should be highlighted to all purchasers, and particularly to an owner who has already broken 2 top tubes? Which is kind of the point the OP raised in his first post...

We still haven't established if the top tube is weak or if the fault lies with the manufacturer. We don't have nearly enough data to make any kind of judgement call. We have a representative sample of 1 guy and a handful of googled results.

Each to their own I guess. If you feel this passionately about the issue then write to Canyon asking for more qarning signs. It'll take you less time than we have wasted discussing this.

I gotta say - if I got the last message from a customer complete with:

I'm a CAT 1 rider (do we have those in SA?)

I took offense.

Sarcasm on....right?

DO NOT SIT

30% duty and tax!!!!!

Impact your sales

I ride with a huge group - pros, managers, blah blah

I want a new frame

Social media threat

I'd have also gone the "sorry, we have already said, have a nice day" response.

yep. i've learnt that lesson before with big companies.

best is to do the honourable thing - keep quite, accept that if you engage with them you are fighting a giant and will loose no matter how much you use social media (face it, this thread will be long forgotten in a months time) and any "damage" canyon earns in RSA will soon ebb away(they are so pretty, and well priced). get the replacement frame, build the bike up, and sell it unused to get away from a lemon.

Edited by Furbz

So. Could it be that perhaps the frame sustained damage by repeated overzealous tightening of a bikerack clamp (same place). Perhaps the damage was done before the tt sitting...?

This is what I thought when I saw frame #3 being built at my LBS.

Not grey at all. Call any manufacturer and ask the question.

I did, and was not surprised by the answers.

Stop trying to justify top-tube riding. 

I can turn that around:  Stop trying to justify banning something on a pro bike that is common for a pro.

I can turn that around:  Stop trying to justify banning something on a pro bike that is common for a pro.

Again, just because a pro does it, does not mean the manufacturer approves it. 

Pros throw their bikes too, sometimes they don't break, but if you do, and it does, do you have the same argument?

Nice try though.

So. Could it be that perhaps the frame sustained damage by repeated overzealous tightening of a bikerack clamp (same place). Perhaps the damage was done before the tt sitting...?

Have never clamped the bike on the top tube. Workshop stand or bike rack.

Again, just because a pro does it, does not mean the manufacturer approves it. 

Pros throw their bikes too, sometimes they don't break, but if you do, and it does, do you have the same argument?

Nice try though.

What are you trying to buy from Rouxie?