Recovery - What do you use or do?

Hi there Hubbers!

There is a lot of protein shakes / recovery shakes available on the market, not to mention all of them.

I'm currently training 6hours a week and will build up to 12hours so recovery will be crucial.

What supplements do you guys use to speed up recovery or what do you do to feel fresh and ready to ride again the next mornning?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get 8 hours of sleep daily. 

Eat a healthy/protein filled breakfast every day. 

Make a healthy juice daily, carrots, apples, ginger, celery, spinach, berries...

Roll out your muscles or do light stretching! 

Don't underestimate the power of going for a walk every day! 

So if you have the time to live a healthy lifestyle then all you need is rule #5! 

At six hours a week?

I am not convinced recovery drinks will have a big impact

I'm currently training 6hours a week and will build up to 12hours so recovery will be crucial.

6 hours a week? Ramping up to 12? nah bud you don't need any recovery. In the middle of a hard training block I can ride 10 hours on a weekend and still mow the lawn afterwards. but generally after a hard ride/race I get into the pool as soon as I am home and then just feet up. I follow a decent diet and as much rest as possible(but now with 3 kids that is not enough anymore)

Make sure you eat enough protein, if not, supplement with Whey. It's cheap and easy to mix and your body should take it in pretty quickly. 

Nothing beats enough rest though and not every session should be a leg destroyer

Like which whey brand?

sleeeeep

SLEEP

The difference between us and the pros is the amount of recovery and sleep they can get without needing to go to work or feed the kids etc etc.

Also make sure your diet supports your lifestyle and amount of exercise. But I do like me some choc milk or natural made protein shake.

1 cup milk

1-2 tbl sp Nut butter

1cup non-fat cottage cheese

1 cup yogurt Opt for non-fat, plain yogurt

1 Banana

1/2 - 1 cup cooked oats

1 tsp some powder Cinnamon for flavour if you want

Blend.

Done.

You can add 1 scoop pure protein powder (100% whey, egg) but not protein shake mix as you often don't know what is in these and most have lots of stuff you don't want.

Edited by s14phoenix

Like which whey brand?

Any. Buy the cheapest one you can find. 

Takealot.com has a supplement sale on at the moment, browse some of their options maybe.

Just stay away from these crap mass gainers or meal replacement shakes. 

Edited by Rick Sanchez

My standard training is 13hours a week.  Every week.

Decembers we go up to around 20 hours for the second last week and then 30 hours for the last week.

Recovery during a 13hour week.  

Rollers every day.

Stretching every day

No protein except from what I get in my daily food intake.

5-6 hours sleep avg per night (this is very individual and works different for everyone)

30 hour week

Same as above but I get a 30min nap in after the ride.

I would add around 3 protein shakes (I use Powerbar) during the week.  But I can't really tell if it helps or not.  The legs just feels constantly fuketed.  Drink or no drink.  :lol:

I would not worry too much for ramping up to 13 hours.

You would ramp up at 20% per week though.....not all at once.  Then you can become tired and more likely sick very quickly.

The body is an amazing tool.  Don't be afraid to push the limits.  You'll be amazed what you are capable of if you give it a go.   :thumbup:

I train for triathlons 12-14hrs per week in general, this will build to 20-25hrs per week in the run up to a full distance triathlon

Whey protein drink after workout

Eat solid/proper foods with carbs and protein within 30 mins.

Plenty of sleep

Drink lots

6hrs is not a lot, I can do that on a Saturday ride and still enjoy my afternoon and follow that up with a 3hr run on the Sunday.

The body will adapt over time, ramp up over time and listen to your body.

There are a few training gods on the HUB!!! RESPECT.

Sorry for the digital PK VeeBee ;) 

You not the only chap managing 6hrs a week! The old lady next door who has just had a hip operation does about the same hrs walking :lol:

Can't say I do much more either... :(