Recovery - What do you use or do?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Hubbers!

There is a lot of protein shakes / recovery shakes available on the market, not to mention all of them.

I'm currently training 6hours a week and will build up to 12hours so recovery will be crucial.

What supplements do you guys use to speed up recovery or what do you do to feel fresh and ready to ride again the next mornning?

during the week 60-90min sessions- normal coffee and breakfast (muesli & full fat yogurt)

long rides - eat ASAP after the ride, normally take a 750ml water to the shower to replenish fluid loss (I sweat like a pig). meal usually consists of some form of eggs with a little carbs and meat protein.

drink lots of water during the day.

FWIW,  I follow a calorie restricted diet (No added/artificial sugar) but I eat carbs as I feel bleh without it (very little bread etc.)

edit: i don't do supplements, except for the odd viral guard during flu season

Edited by fanievb

I love these threads...

I trained for 24 hours non stop on the weekend and had some sparkly water and a vegge burger before driving home... I ran on Monday for 90 minutes... I take no supplements and have zero ill effects.

I was stiff for a couple of days after Puffer last month, and if we are talking just bikes, find I hurt more after a proper high tempo XC race than a longer, more sustained effort.

As bike riding is not weight bearing, your recovery shouldn't need assistance as you will seldom do much damage to the muscles.

I think everyone is looking for a magic formula that makes them feel great all the time. Unfortunately that magic formula is a balanced diet, a positive attitude, general mental health away from stress and anxiety and a lot of hard work to make you fit enough that exercise becomes fun and no longer painful or a chore which you tell yourself you enjoy.

While ramping up your load, you will just have to give your body time to adjust and adapt to the loads.

At first you will feel cr@p but it gets better.

With all respect I only wanted to know what everyone use or do, not to find out that I must do more walking :-)

But ya....I got it! 6hrs a week is better than nothing at the moment

The general reply is that you should not use anything.

You'll either get heavier or pee your money away

Edited by Spinnekop

Off topic slightly.

Apparently not sleeping well the night before a race is not detrimental. You need to have a good nights sleep 2 nights before. I have tossed and turned til early hours of the morning before a big race and then I have a good race.

Useless info, use it, don't use it.

Off topic slightly.

Apparently not sleeping well the night before a race is not detrimental. You need to have a good nights sleep 2 nights before. I have tossed and turned til early hours of the morning before a big race and then I have a good race.

Useless info, use it, don't use it.

one of the best races I've ridden was with a terrible babelaas.

use it, don't use it

The body will adapt over time, ramp up over time and listen to your body.

I think this above is basically it.

You have plenty time to experiment with food and/or supps. As soon as you find something that your body agrees with, it'll probably work for you forever. Whether you're training for 30 mins a day or 3 hours a day, your body would have adapted to that training load by then, and respond in the same way.

If you don't have access to good whole food within about an hour of training, probably best to use supplements. Simple fast digesting sugars plus a quality sourced protein.

If you really want to use a Whey Protein go for Optimum Nutrition, great taste and quality and contains BCAA's. Nothing beats a good diet though.

one of the best races I've ridden was with a terrible babelaas.

use it, don't use it

now that you mention it.....????