Diagnosed with stage 4 cancer - the long winding road it has become

Cois

I am in tears at the moment. Just confirmed a appointment with the surgeon… for tomorrow morning 11h45!

That is something that does not happen. You never get in to see Dr van Niekerk. It has never happened before. And for some reason I made such an impact at their practice that the lady who took the call immediately knew who was talking.

so I need to get a Covid test again today. There might be a chance that I will have to stay in hospital.

sorry if this is a double post.  Posting on the phone is a pain.

1C355711-C4B8-467F-B6EC-E3B5BC667F53.jpeg

AC256833-0C41-4BF1-9A63-0CDAFFDF1500.jpeg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Cois said:

I am in tears at the moment. Just confirmed a appointment with the surgeon… for tomorrow morning 11h45!

That is something that does not happen. You never get in to see Dr van Niekerk. It has never happened before. And for some reason I made such an impact at their practice that the lady who took the call immediately knew who was talking.

so I need to get a Covid test again today. There might be a chance that I will have to stay in hospital.

Flipping Awesome Cois ............ oh, and always remember ... red bikes / carts are faster :)

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

Flipping Awesome Cois ............ oh, and always remember ... red bikes / carts are faster :)

You wont believe me, but I am going to cover up the red, with a carbon vinyl for protection.  I want to create a cutout as well for the other plates that can be replaced.  It has blue plates as well that is about the same color as the colon cancer ribbon.  But the main idea is to protect the color parts as the plastic feels a little soft.  So I do not want to damage the plates.

Cois, a few questions.

How much was that buggy?

How much do you think the costs are to get vinyl covering ?

Lastly, do you watch Netflix Movies or what kinda streaming do you do to pass the time ? Oh and do you use fibre/broadband at home and who you with ? 

14 hours ago, Cois said:

I don't see a bell?  Where's the bell?  
Or are you one of those "track please" guys?

Keep it up dude.  

17 minutes ago, Slowbee said:

Cois, a few questions.

How much was that buggy?

How much do you think the costs are to get vinyl covering ?

Lastly, do you watch Netflix Movies or what kinda streaming do you do to pass the time ? Oh and do you use fibre/broadband at home and who you with ? 

The buggy cost me R23000.  The original cost was R36900, but this was an open boxed scooter.  So they took it out of the box and the client realized it was the wrong scooter.  So the company can't sell it at the cost price.

I purchased a roll of Vinyl from Takealot for R220.  I just want to cover the soft plastics that are red on this unit. So I think I will use less than half of the vinyl.  I just have to find my scalpel and 

We use Netflix and Amazon Prime via Vodacom.  Works out a bit cheaper on the Amazon which can fluctuate due to the R/$ exchange rate.  I also have a borrowed DSTV account that I use in hospital as the TV's most of the time does not work or have a very limited choice..  We have a Fiber connection at home (running on MWEB R499 Special for 25 mbps on Openserve) and I have a Telkom LTE (20 GB for R129 or something silly like that) contract on my iPad.  So at the hospital I use the LTE that has 70 GB of data accumulated on it if the WiFi at the hospital does not work (or if the block my VPN)

17 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

I don't see a bell?  Where's the bell?  
Or are you one of those "track please" guys?

Keep it up dude.  

It has a little hooter that I can use to get the sheep (students on campus) out of the way.  But a bell might be a better idea.

They say it can do 13 km on a charge.  So I will have to look at what speedo will work with the scooter, just to keep track of the distance I rode with it.

1 hour ago, Cois said:

It has a little hooter that I can use to get the sheep (students on campus) out of the way.  But a bell might be a better idea.

They say it can do 13 km on a charge.  So I will have to look at what speedo will work with the scooter, just to keep track of the distance I rode with it.

Maybe strava for tracking?

12 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Maybe strava for tracking?

Might work.

I have a bryton computer that uses GPS. So no trouble mounting sensors.

will make a plan if I know what the surgeon wants to do. I am not sure if they have a bed for me in the hospital…

23 minutes ago, Cois said:

Might work.

will make a plan if I know what the surgeon wants to do. I am not sure if they have a bed for me in the hospital…

GPS tracking dont work indoors, where the bulk of your riding will.

Maybe a Garmin "speed sensor" ?

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

GPS tracking dont work indoors, where the bulk of your riding will.

Maybe a Garmin "speed sensor" ?

Will see what I have. I do have a wahoo speed sensor that I can use.

but the scooter has a battery meter that shows charge left.

Have you figured out how to transport the scooter between home and work ?

Did the suppliers have suggestions for this ?

1 hour ago, Cois said:

Might work.

You'd probably have to go with sensors as GPS wont work in most buildings / malls and might throw out the kilos.
Maybe track in time?

The surgeon saw me. Wants me admitted today.

Already given a treatment plan. So things are happening fast. He wasn’t too happy that the other surgeon didn’t do any follow up since I saw him. He was shocked and said he saw there was something wrong. He said he wants to see how he can help me to get quality back and be able to live again.

Only problem now is that the hospital does not have a bed available. So they are looking to get a bed for me.  So that is the only thing holding things back for now. So now we wait.

But it was great to see a surgeon who cares about his patients. He was visually shocked when he saw the weight loss I have experienced. And I might have to get a new stoma created. As the other has changed shape due to the rapid weight loss and the skin is exposed opening me up to infection.

But I am in the right hands now.