Hit&Run on Victoria Ave between Llandudno & Camps Bay

semisub

A grey Mercedes van with registration number (we have the registration details) was driving erratically along the coastal road and when passing the cyclist, it veered into him even though he was riding in the large verge area inside the yellow line and well off the road lane. The cyclist was knocked off his bike and went head over heels and the Mercedes van carried on driving without stopping. I followed the van to get the registration number. I the returned to the scene of the accident and helped the downed rider who was taken to hospital by another motorist. The cyclist is current waiting to have e-rays at a hospital. There are a number of witnesses and we are committed to tracing the driver of this vehicle and bringing him/her to book. There were loads of people and cyclists who stopped to help which was wonderful to see.

The cyclist is training for his 38th CTCT (Argus) and is very concerned that he won't be able to ride.

Let's hope it's nothing serious and he is back on his bike soon.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some input from the bikehub as to how the OP can tell city of cape town transport MEC

-  this is a great test case to see how serious they are about the 1.5m thing

as Sepia says Nail the bastards

Edited by bikebloke

some input from the bikehub as to how the OP can tell city of cape town transport MEC

-  this is a great test case to see how serious they are about the 1.5m thing

as Sepia says Nail the bastards

I would escalate matters by emailing these two emails -

1. traffic.services@capetown.gov.za
2. Traffic.Representation@capetown.gov.za

Scum, whoever knocks over someone and drives off is scum in my eyes. I hope this person gets a **** tonne of karma back at them. 

To the rider, I hope you heal up and would love to hear that you've made it to the start AND finish line. 

A grey Mercedes van with registration number (we have the registration details) was driving erratically along the coastal road and when passing the cyclist, it veered into him even though he was riding in the large verge area inside the yellow line and well off the road lane. The cyclist was knocked off his bike and went head over heels and the Mercedes van carried on driving without stopping. I followed the van to get the registration number. I the returned to the scene of the accident and helped the downed rider who was taken to hospital by another motorist. The cyclist is current waiting to have e-rays at a hospital. There are a number of witnesses and we are committed to tracing the driver of this vehicle and bringing him/her to book. There were loads of people and cyclists who stopped to help which was wonderful to see.

The cyclist is training for his 38th CTCT (Argus) and is very concerned that he won't be able to ride.

Let's hope it's nothing serious and he is back on his bike soon.

Good on you for your effort. 

tour buses and delivery vehicles seem to be pretty brazen about their attitude toward cyclists.

I caught a delviery driver with his window down after he gave me a near kiss of death on Friday morning in Hout Bay and asked him "what about giving me the 1m?!"

His response:""My boss doesn't pay me to be nice to people who don't belong on the road you N8*&^!" followed by some more choice Cape Town adjectives.

So much anger and so little regard for others and the law.

tour buses and delivery vehicles seem to be pretty brazen about their attitude toward cyclists.

I caught a delviery driver with his window down after he gave me a near kiss of death on Friday morning in Hout Bay and asked him "what about giving me the 1m?!"

His response:""My boss doesn't pay me to be nice to people who don't belong on the road you N8*&^!" followed by some more choice Cape Town adjectives.

So much anger and so little regard for others and the law.

Care to name the company?? 

I'm sure he'll change his attitude once his boss hears what type of language he's using in the company bakkie. 

I'm sure he'll change his attitude once his boss hears what type of language he's using in the company bakkie. 

Had a incident once where a guy stopped in a trafffic circle to give someone a lift.  I hit him on my bicycle in the process.  Went to report it to the police who was not very helpfull in general but they did give me the contact details of the owner of the vehicle.  So I called they guy.  Turned out to be the boss of the driver whom he loaned the car for the weekend as a favour.  Who was not too amused to find out the car was being used as a taxi.  So yes I would also maybe contact the company and inform them.

Was a catering company. Didn't bother to take a pic. Nothing ever comes of it