To Flat or not to Flat

Jako De Wet

So I am in the market for some new shoes and thinking of making the switch to flats.

I was wondering if someone could give me the lifespan of these flat soles? I mean surely they'll start to lose grip after a while?

I currently have Suplest SupZero that I bought in 2012 and these things are bomb proof XC shoes, they're still going strong except for the innersole that need replacing now and then.

Want to get my facts straight before spending a few K on something that will only last a year or two.

For those using flat shoes, what is the average lifespan of your skoens?

Thanks.

Its easy.

Flats for riders with no skills.

Clipless pedals for riders who are confident with mega skills. And have hot chicks hanging around them all day.

Fixed ^

Also how fast your shoes wear out depends on a lot of factors. Lots of bike stuff is more than a few k and only lasts a year or 2. It looks like you have already made up your mind about changing to flats so just do it! I ride flats a few months out the year and it's humbling... You pick up so many bad habits by sticking to cleats all year round. 

I'm using Spez 2F0 flat shoes. Only had them about 6 months, but they are holding up very well. They still look new - just minor wear on the soles where the pins bite in.

I'm sure they'll last me 2 years, riding 2 or 3 times a week.

I'm using Spez 2F0 flat shoes. Only had them about 6 months, but they are holding up very well. They still look new - just minor wear on the soles where the pins bite in.

I'm sure they'll last me 2 years, riding 2 or 3 times a week.

lekker. Was thinking of going the 2F0 route and also ride 3 times a week. Might keep the XC shoes for longer events and ride the flats every other time.

Lets go break some shins!

Its easy.

Clipless pedals for riders who are confident with mega skills. And have hot chicks hanging around them all day.

Such a drol post.

Not even Comic Sans can fix it.

Have been using HiTecs with Vibram soles for the last four years

Grips like ****.

Edited by porqui

So I am in the market for some new shoes and thinking of making the switch to flats.

I was wondering if someone could give me the lifespan of these flat soles? I mean surely they'll start to lose grip after a while?

I currently have Suplest SupZero that I bought in 2012 and these things are bomb proof XC shoes, they're still going strong except for the innersole that need replacing now and then.

Want to get my facts straight before spending a few K on something that will only last a year or two.

For those using flat shoes, what is the average lifespan of your skoens?

Thanks.

I use FiveTens with nukeproof pedals. The level of grip is something you need to experience to believe. I know that sounds like salesman talk, but there really isn't any other way I can say it. Other (flat specific) brands may be even better, I wouldn't know. I rode clipped in for years and still do (occasionally) but I definitely prefer flat pedals. It's improved my confidence and skills. The horde of hot chicks that now follow me around is an added bonus. 

Just please don't bother with takkies and beartrap pedals. There is nothing to gain by doing that. If you go with flats, buy proper flat pedals with grub screws and reputable shoes like 2FO or FiveTen. All in all, that could set you back about R3K so it's probably best to borrow gear first and see if you're gonna like it. People will say "use squash shoes, they do the job just as well". They don't, I've tried. They don't grip as well and don't last. 

But to answer your question, I'm still riding my first pair of Fiveten freerider shoes after 2 years. They have done about 3,000km I'd estimate. They are still in great condition. I loved them so much I bought a second pair. Plus they look decent so I can hop straight off my bike and sit down at my desk like a boss. They are expensive though. 

I use FiveTens with nukeproof pedals. The level of grip is something you need to experience to believe. I know that sounds like salesman talk, but there really isn't any other way I can say it. Other (flat specific) brands may be even better, I wouldn't know. I rode clipped in for years and still do (occasionally) but I definitely prefer flat pedals. It's improved my confidence and skills. The horde of hot chicks that now follow me around is an added bonus. 

Just please don't bother with takkies and beartrap pedals. There is nothing to gain by doing that. If you go with flats, buy proper flat pedals with grub screws and reputable shoes like 2FO or FiveTen. All in all, that could set you back about R3K so it's probably best to borrow gear first and see if you're gonna like it. People will say "use squash shoes, they do the job just as well". They don't, I've tried. They don't grip as well and don't last. 

But to answer your question, I'm still riding my first pair of Fiveten freerider shoes after 2 years. They have done about 3,000km I'd estimate. They are still in great condition. I loved them so much I bought a second pair. Plus they look decent so I can hop straight off my bike and sit down at my desk like a boss. They are expensive though. 

You kind of answered one of my questions. 

How are the flat shoes, as shoes? like you say, at work or the coffee shop? or on a date with your jeans?

*Middle Finger to Vetseun* *Middle Finger # to Vetseun - woman don't think men in Lycra are hot...unless they win all the pro events* :)

Five Ten pro range is the way to go. Currently have 2FO and haven't had great experience with them unlike two pairs of fivers.

How are the flat shoes, as shoes? like you say, at work or the coffee shop? or on a date with your jeans?

I have FiveTens, but ride clips, so use the shoes as just casual shoes... but soon will be seeing flat-action again

Absolutely fine. I wore my 2FO's for a while to break them in before I rode Ezel last year, and they were absolutely great. A little stiff, ja, but bloody comfortable and just black. Even got a few compliments, strangely. 

Ion - same. Perfectly fine to wear out. 

The 5-10 freerider & freerider canvas - same. As long as you don't get those stupid colours... :P

Freerider pro.... not so sure. 

They're fine. As Myles said, if you buy modest colours, most people don't notice. For a year I didn't actually have casual shoes other than my grey canvas Fivetens. During that period only one person (who happened to be a mountain biker) actually noticed that I was wearing mtb shoes. Basically they are comfortable and it doesn't look weird (IMO). 

5.10 even have a dedicated commuter shoe, the 'District'. It's clipless though. 

Looks snazzy as hell, though. 

five-ten-5.10-district-clips.jpg

5.10 Impacts XVI low's I'm finding are stupidly stiff in the sole, taken me a while to get used too. Freeride's might be the better option with a slightly thinner sole.

Its easy.

You just made me spew coffee on my phone, that was a classic reply!

PS, I ride flats

I cant really give feedback here cos I ride in skate shoes, frowned upon by the flats gods I know, but I'm a cheapie.