[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,besides a sore and bruised body im fine.Ive been playing around with different Tyre combinations and decided to try a 2.5 Aggressor front and back.Its the best rolling combination I ever had.I was contemplating sacrificing some traction for rolling resistance.It became pretty clear that it wasnt a worthy trade.The combination of a slippery Berm and wrong Tyre choice resulted in me hitting the ground Chest first.The front wheel just slid out from right under me.Im considering either a 2.5 DHF in front and 2.5 Aggressor at the back or possibly a 2.4 DHR front and back.

Eish!

I rode there again last night after work and saw what you mean. 

The winter sun never reaches some spots in that valley, long parts of Red Phoenix 1 looked pretty shiny. I was however quite happy with the DHR in front, which I did not dare push to hard at first but gained confidence as I went and managed to get a PR run down there half blinded by the setting sun.

Was planning on hitting plumber with the main purpose of checking out the features on lower plumber, but the wind was so hectic that It made me take the exit at the 1st road crossing and go back up to hit Red Phoenix.

Bit off topic, If I may share. I was pleasantly surprised by the difference a few small tweaks in bike setup made to a proper steep trail like Plumber. Riding a trail with confidence vs hesitation makes a massive difference.

(I added soft volume spacers up front which makes it ride higher in the travel whilst keeping it supple(I'm a huge fan of this) Had the new DHR on front, and replaced rear brake pads so they worked well.)

Last time I felt like a bit of passenger down Plumer 1, not being use to the steep loose surface. 

This time I immediately noticed how the DHR "takes command" of the front end and bike felt more planted and lets you focus on the trail giving me the confidence to let the bike go in turns and those drops into the turns. I was then able to perform most of my braking before turns then holding on letting the bike and suspension do its thing..which is easier said then done down there as one gains speed rapidly, but In ones mind one must just BOSS it.

I'm taking this whole Enduro thing very seriously.

New Shoes

New Kneepads

New Shorts

New Sunnies

I even just bled my brakes. 

Nice ;) If my wallet allowed it I'd probably have joined you for some of those.  

I am seriously contemplating getting some Airflex Pro kneepads though since my G-form puppies are well out of fashion by now. 

Eish!

I rode there again last night after work and saw what you mean. 

The winter sun never reaches some spots in that valley, long parts of Red Phoenix 1 looked pretty shiny. I was however quite happy with the DHR in front, which I did not dare push to hard at first but gained confidence as I went and managed to get a PR run down there half blinded by the setting sun.

Was planning on hitting plumber with the main purpose of checking out the features on lower plumber, but the wind was so hectic that It made me take the exit at the 1st road crossing and go back up to hit Red Phoenix.

Bit off topic, If I may share. I was pleasantly surprised by the difference a few small tweaks in bike setup made to a proper steep trail like Plumber. Riding a trail with confidence vs hesitation makes a massive difference.

(I added soft volume spacers up front which makes it ride higher in the travel whilst keeping it supple(I'm a huge fan of this) Had the new DHR on front, and replaced rear brake pads so they worked well.)

Last time I felt like a bit of passenger down Plumer 1, not being use to the steep loose surface. 

This time I immediately noticed how the DHR "takes command" of the front end and bike felt more planted and lets you focus on the trail giving me the confidence to let the bike go in turns and those drops into the turns. I was then able to perform most of my braking before turns then holding on letting the bike and suspension do its thing..which is easier said then done down there as one gains speed rapidly, but In ones mind one must just BOSS it.

I have heard some guys in Stellies refer to it as "green death" - that shiny green stuff that grows on the smooth clay that is in the shade 100% of time in winter. There are sections of it on some of the jeep-track climbs in Jonkershoek where I have seen guys on XC bikes slip out and land completely horizontal, while climbing, not descending - like when you wear roller skates for the first time. Just stay very clear of it.

I have heard some guys in Stellies refer to it as "green death" - that shiny green stuff that grows on the smooth clay that is in the shade 100% of time in winter. There are sections of it on some of the jeep-track climbs in Jonkershoek where I have seen guys on XC bikes slip out and land completely horizontal, while climbing, not descending - like when you wear roller skates for the first time. Just stay very clear of it.

We have that green stuff on Paarl mountain as well. Started two wheel drifting at 50kph on a straight section, then gravity took over.

Thinking of buying a full face helmet for Enduro. Going faster and faster and doing bigger and bigger jumps and my cycling helmet is starting to feel very small.

At the same time, climbing to the top of Jonkers with a full face helmet is not appealing. Can one take off your helmet when you climbing at an event?

I know there are helmets with chinbars that come off, but there don't seem to be too many made in my size (I have a 63.5cm head).

Edited by Baracuda

Thinking of buying a full face helmet for Enduro. Going faster and faster and doing bigger and bigger jumps and my cycling helmet is starting to feel very small.

At the same time, climbing to the top of Jonkers with a full face helmet is not appealing. Can one take off your helmet when you climbing at an event?

I know there are helmets with chinbars that come off, but there don't seem to be too many made in my size (I have a 63.5cm head).

For a full face only option have a look at Fox Proframe (the newest version). Apparently very light and breathable with removable chin pads - so it can be ridden as a full face all the time.

If the Leatt convertible one fits you it's probably the best value for money option.

But yes, as Myles mentioned, you cannot remove your helmet for climbs.

Bell super DH, its downhill rated.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/7-of-the-Best-Lightweight-Full-Face-Helmets-Vital-MTB-Roundup,2616

Check that review on lite weight full face and they also recommend some others

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweight-convertible-full-face-helmets-review/

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/6-enduro-ready-full-face-helmets-ridden-and-rated.html

It's a mistake to go out and buy a new helmet and debut it at an event like that IMO. Helmets and saddles can quickly become torture devices. You might get lucky or you could have a massive headache 3 hours in.

For the below average punter like me that whole day is going to be about energy, feeding, heart rate and water management. It's going to be a 5000 calorie day. Most crashes are going to be fatigue/brainfade related. The best way to stay off the deck is to stay hydrated and fed.

Edited by Duane_Bosch