Mont Marie Closed... Thanks chop

Reme Le Hane

The amount of posts I see on the wannabees page is also shocking riders going off route, ridding past houses at early hours talking loudly and then being rude to land owners when confronted, they really seem to not get that our boards are a privilege which gives us specific access and is not some all access everyone be damned pass.

Its not like a little respect and decency ever killed anyone.

Yeah, amazing how people think that spending R600 per year (flipen bargain any way you look at it) gives them the right to do whatever they want to.

And the joke is that the trails at Mont Marie are FREE! The landowners are letting use is their private land for mahala... and still there is entitlement. Let's just hope the jokers have the balls to own up, would really hate to see those trails closed down - Element is one of the most fun trails around.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The massive logs and red tape across the trails make it very hard to believe that it is an honest mistake.

ja, let me qualify that.

I don't know the trail setup, if there's an obvious turn around point (and the riders didn't just ride "through" the trails) then flame away! 

ja, let me qualify that.

I don't know the trail setup, if there's an obvious turn around point (and the riders didn't just ride "through" the trails) then flame away!

Fair enough...

It is very obvious though. It is the only way onto the trails, so there is no way you could miss it. The persons would have to have got off their bikes and and purposefully gone through the tape to access the trail.

ja, let me qualify that.

The entire trail was closed, so the turn around was back where u cam from, those logs and tape are at the trail head. You cannot start ridding that trail without ignoring the closed indicators, it's not like it was hidden half way down or something.

Heard a lot of stories about that, I accidentally went off trails on one of the wannabees farms, but that was a marking issue and when I got home I mailed them and sent them my strava link so they could figure out where the signage was off based on my random wondering.

The amount of posts I see on the wannabees page is also shocking riders going off route, ridding past houses at early hours talking loudly and then being rude to land owners when confronted, they really seem to not get that our boards are a privilege which gives us specific access and is not some all access everyone be damned pass.

Its not like a little respect and decency ever killed anyone.

that is the worst.

The entire trail was closed, so the turn around was back where u cam from, those logs and tape are at the trail head. You cannot start ridding that trail without ignoring the closed indicators, it's not like it was hidden half way down or something.

ah, now i understand.

proceed as per usual.

tenor.gif?itemid=8939538

Slightly off topic, where are all the people now that normally shout "mind your own business"?

This behavior start with our fellow hubber that text and drive, skip read lights while cycling etc.

Then they want us to say nothing about it, but when this happens they also have the pitchforks out.

If you ignore the road rules, etc it is easy to ignore closed trails, because the SA mentality is that if I can get away without being caught it has nothing to do with you!

So.... shooting of on a tangent here:

Firstly, find the rogue rider and flame him/her. People need to feel consequences for breaking rules/laws.

2ndly: Those trails are nowhere near where I am, but if it was, and I was fearful of it being closed permanently... I would phone up the owner and claim that it was me that rode there rogue and that I am very sorry...... this would obviously only work if the owner doesn't know the identity of the rogue rider, which I assume he doesn't.

I know the perp would be getting away without owning up, but the owner would feel acknowledged by the cycling community and he would have gotten his apology. The cycling community would also have their favourite trails back....

Just a thought. Plenty of wrong in my approach, but would you rather lose the trails permanently? (Granted I don't know what the owner would do if he found out someone else just apologized to just open the trails again. Starting to sound like a dumb idea....)

Slightly off topic, where are all the people now that normally shout "mind your own business"?

This behavior start with our fellow hubber that text and drive, skip read lights while cycling etc.

Then they want us to say nothing about it, but when this happens they also have the pitchforks out.

If you ignore the road rules, etc it is easy to ignore closed trails, because the SA mentality is that if I can get away without being caught it has nothing to do with you!

couldnt agree more. Its a way of thinking. Break the law/rules etc and its ok. "its all about me" people just dont care about sharing and being courteous anymore. Especially on the roads. They will rather drive you out of the way just to change lane or not stop at a stop street.

Ja always a pain when the odd idiot messes things up for everyone.

what if a group of locals go to the farmers house, spades (not pitch forks) in hand, and offer serious amounts of manual labour to help build and repair trail, to show him your appreciation for allowing you to use his land.

what if a group of locals go to the farmers house, spades (not pitch forks) in hand, and offer serious amounts of manual labour to help build and repair trail, to show him your appreciation for allowing you to use his land.

I'd be happy to do that.

Not likely to happen.

Only a handful (tiny hand) that would do that.

Our biggest problem is entitlement.

When I read some of the comments on the Hub and the nature of the engagement, I find it hard to be surprised at the rude response to landowners, as mentioned earlier.

Society seems to battling with "engagement issues'...........and I find it very difficult to believe that it's a 'South African' issue, because human nature transcends borders.

Starts with me/us - temper the manner in which we engage. Agree to disagree, without aggression entering the fray.

Partially off topic, but......

Think the sad reality is that we need to lose access to a trail every now and then to bring the point home that rogue riding is not without consequences. Lots of reports on the Tygerberg Trails as well of people ignoring the rules - I wonder what the next "Kliprug" will be...

Chops. So now all of us who are not Stav@ssholes are suspects....

Wat h all non culprits open strava and set thier profiles to public. [emoji23]