Definition of "Mint Condition"

Longbarn Killer

When somebody advertises an item for sale as describes is as "mint" condition.

What would you expect it to be?

I would expect an item to look brand new, work perfectly and have no marks or scratches. 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_condition

Mint condition is an expression used to denote the quality of a pre-owned good as displaying virtually no imperfections and being in pristine condition relative to its original production state. Originally, the phrase related to the way collectors described the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in when it leaves the mint.[1]

But with that being said, some people take chances and post it as mint when it clearly isn't

what happens if it is a "bargain" in "mint condition"

The platform you're trying to sell on won't publish the add cause you can't have a "bargain in mint condition". 

You'll get a message from the administrator to say that some text in your ad has been rejected, please edit your ad and submit for publishing. 

For me, mint means it must look like it is brand new.

Looking at some of the stuff in the classified, some people obviously have a different idea to me as to what "mint" means

Edited by Eugene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint_condition

Mint condition is an expression used to denote the quality of a pre-owned good as displaying virtually no imperfections and being in pristine condition relative to its original production state. Originally, the phrase related to the way collectors described the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in when it leaves the mint.[1]

But with that being said, some people take chances and post it as mint when it clearly isn't

^^this. 

No other "definition" or "opinion" is viable. The definition is granted by way of the process itself. 

For me, mint means it must look like it is brand new.

Looking at some of the stuff in the classified, some people obviously have a different idea to me as to what "mint" means

Yeah mint is showroom new condition.No signs of wear or usage.