Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stabbing yourself in the finger with a strand of cable inner. So much fun.

it may even be worse than shoving your knuckles into a shark tooth worn chain ring when trying to remove a stubborn chain ring bolt

One of my favourite groupsets are my 2x Di2 builds:

I've learnt - 

1. It's nearly impossible to guess the various wire lengths you'll need until you've plugged them together on the bike (they come in mostly 50mm increments between 10cm and 1.6m). This makes doing the second build a lot cheaper than the first one.

2. Di2 levers, junction boxes and batteries will work with any groupset. The only thing that needs to match is the front and rear derailleur (i.e. same series) to make it all work. This means you can use '10s' shifters for an '11s' Di2 groupset.

3. You can connect Di2 components in any sequence you like and it still all works. In my case the left lever connects to the right, and the right then connects to the junction box - only one wire between bike and handlebar. You could also connect the battery to any available port

4. The internal battery has a bigger brain than the external battery - some features are only available with the internal battery.

5. Once you have plugged it all together the first time it almost certainly won't shift. Do a software upgrade to bring all the various bits of firmware up to date and it will work. Budget for the USB connector to do your own troubleshooting, or in case you have to do this again.

6. As soon as you're done you will find a better wire routing. This is a lot like when you press print and then you can see all the spelling mistakes.

And finally, that wifi connector is a waste of time. learn to use the shifter to check battery level and save yourself the money.

Edited by 100Tours

Fully agree!

Was chatting to a life long vegan the other day and her pet gripe are the "militant vegans" that are out there shoving their lifestyle choices onto everyone.... 

very similar to johnny-come-lately bike mechanics who need to share how much they (don't)  know with life long mechanics. Surely vegans should serve an apprenticeship as well? Its only fair

.... This is a lot like when you press print and then you can see all the spelling mistakes....

And finally, that wifi connector is a waste of time. learn to use the shifter to check battery level and save yourself the money.

:clap: a feeling I know well!

The guy didn't even mention some of the most important aspects. He didn't even mention how foggy your bloods plasma was when eating meat compared to not eating meat. He did talk about the Penis thing but the study cleary showed that your boners are more erected at night time than meat-eaters boners...

doesn't this belong in the transgender thread or am I reading this inappropriately?

doesn't this belong in the transgender thread or am I reading this inappropriately?

best you send him some night time pics to test his theory .................. 

Is not so easy removing a stuck seatpost (carbon wrapped alu). going for the 3rd evening to try and saw it out. patience is key.

Edited by Jensie

Is not so easy removing a stuck seatpost (carbon wrapped alu). going for the 3rd evening to try and saw it out. patience is key.

I may have the same situation on my hands soon ... just avoiding it as long as possible on my commuter bike!

it may even be worse than shoving your knuckles into a shark tooth worn chain ring when trying to remove a stubborn chain ring bolt

Or when trying to remove a stubborn pedal. Something that helps is to have the chain on the biggest chainring - it offers some protection. Using a wrench with a long lever helps and if it's really stubborn, giving the wrench handle a whack with a hammer can help - the sudden jolt seems to work. Of course you need to be loosening it in the correct direction as well ;)

a) Avid brake fluid is hydroscopic  and does not do well left in a cold wet climate for a year...results in much puzzlement as to why your back brakes have seized a year later

b) bleeding avid brakes without a bleed kit is a pain in the arse

c) apparently those little rubber o-rings are important

a) Avid brake fluid is hydroscopic  and does not do well left in a cold wet climate for a year...results in much puzzlement as to why your back brakes have seized a year later

b) bleeding avid brakes without a bleed kit is a pain in the arse

c) apparently those little rubber o-rings are important

Patience .... and being methodical is really also all one needs for a good bleed on a set of Avids.

Or when trying to remove a stubborn pedal. Something that helps is to have the chain on the biggest chainring - it offers some protection. Using a wrench with a long lever helps and if it's really stubborn, giving the wrench handle a whack with a hammer can help - the sudden jolt seems to work. Of course you need to be loosening it in the correct direction as well ;)

Remember, "Right is Right, Left is Wrong".

And you need to focus if the bike is in an upside-down position, you can get confused very quickly, which allot of bikes are when home-mechanics work on them without a bike-stand...

and slipping a pipe (even a seatpost) over the allan key handle works well for extra lever arm power when removing stubborn pedals

and wearing gloves sometimes avoids some nasty grazes (have knocked the bricks under the bike or the chainrings a few times - think I've learnt my lesson!)