These dam cyclists!!

Chingy182

This post and the attitude of the riders who trespassed... cut from the same cloth.

Saw so many cyclists riding on the wrong side of the road at Race to Victory, despite the fact cars, coming from both sides at huge speed, were regularly coming past... can only assume they have incredible disability cover

We are our own worst enemies, and it's tiresome frankly

Edited by Andrew Steer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Jet Blast Story must be incredible to witness. Amazing the forces.

Nah I don't agree with you. The guys trespassing(cyclist, pedestrian, what ever) are just a bunch of arrogant spiteful idiots. As with pretty much all proper constructions sites the sign boards and barricades are clear. Besides, common sense should prevail but clearly these okes don't have any. I work in aviation and we too have strict policies and it's not just to irritate or stuff people around, it's for your own damn safety. Someone not familiar with how something in the specific industry works might not know what to expect a bulldozer or plane or tractor etc to do next and that is why they are meant to be kept away. We do ground runs on the aircraft in our run-up bay and when we are going to be running the engine we switch on red flashing lights by the entrance to the run-up bay. There is a big sign that says don't enter while the red lights are flashing because jet blast can kill you. Now guys like myself and other fellow technicians understand this and will also know where to drive/stand when approaching a live aircraft. A few years ago(probably like 15/20) a catering truck decided to drive into the bay while we were doing a ground run on a 747 and they drove right behind the aircraft. Their small truck was blown all the way up the side embankment and over the side. The driver and I think 3 other people died because the driver never obeyed the instructions. The rules are there for a reason, obey them! It's simple. 

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cyclists-accident-causes-george-dam-construction-site-to-shut-down-20190917

I found this article quite rich, "The situation results in a minority group exposing the entire community to project delays and cost claims by the contractor"

Trespassing is one thing, but to go on and play the high horse card about cyclists causing project delays and wasted time and money in SA is laughable.

I mean it's not like we ever consider the impact of the shutdown around Houtbay or 1000 other places when hooligans swarm the streets and bring an entire community to a grinding halt?

I know the guy who fell.  He says the article is 90% incorrect.  I am not going into detail as I or he might be wrong.

You have achieved something rare, a unified majority disagreeing. 

Every now and then one needs to rattle some feathers with bold, if not, ludicrous statements.

Hence the usage of the pun in my title.

I have more than 30 years experience of guiding cycle tours . Road and Mtb . And have noticed multiple times that as soon as a butt touches a saddle some short circuit to the brain occurs . I have been amazed how people who are highly successful professionals and businessmen stop thinking when they get on a bicycle .

I see this in myself - I do things on the bike that I simply wouldn't do in "normal life". I'm more aggressive, I take more risky chances .... my decisions are less rational and more emotionally driven for one thing ....

I have more than 30 years experience of guiding cycle tours . Road and Mtb . And have noticed multiple times that as soon as a butt touches a saddle some short circuit to the brain occurs . I have been amazed how people who are highly successful professionals and businessmen stop thinking when they get on a bicycle .

We have something similar in our area, ORT airport authorities graciously allowed part of their property to be used for MTB, now some idjits on quad and MX bikes have used it, it appears they got the lock combo from one of the cyclists.  

I know the guy who fell.  He says the article is 90% incorrect.  I am not going into detail as I or he might be wrong.

I think you or your friend should back that statement up with some facts, then.

According to the article, he was found in a construction zone which was marked as such and off limits to the public.

Unless this is all a lie, I don't think the general public has much of a choice but to agree that he was wrong.

Hope your friend heals up quick, though, and that this has been a lesson to him and that he won't do it again.

We have something similar in our area, ORT airport authorities graciously allowed part of their property to be used for MTB, now some idjits on quad and MX bikes have used it, it appears they got the lock combo from one of the cyclists.  

most MX riders have a bicycle as well....