I need to admit something

Rocket-Boy

I love this forum, I have a connection with a lot of members on here and I have been around for a long time.

The problem is that Im an impostor really. Its been over a year since I rode one of my bikes, and probably closer to two years.

Does that mean I dont love cycling? No not really, I still keep up to date with everything and love reading about what everyone else is doing.

The reality is that I go through seasons. 

At some stages Im a die hard cyclist, at others Im a runner, then I switch to tech or woodworking.

I have been immensely supported by amazing woodworkers on this forum in the woodwork thread and those members kept me trying to achieve more with their encouragement.

I have even had my marriage saved by a forum member who dragged me through one of the darkest times of my life, and I will always be in his debt for that.

One thing never changes though, I cant give up the people who make this forum a place I keep coming back to every day.

So am I alone in this? are there others who still hang around here despite not actually riding their bikes?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this forum, I have a connection with a lot of members on here and I have been around for a long time.

The problem is that Im an impostor really. Its been over a year since I rode one of my bikes, and probably closer to two years.

Does that mean I dont love cycling? No not really, I still keep up to date with everything and love reading about what everyone else is doing.

At some stages Im a die hard cyclist, at others Im a runner, then I switch to tech or woodworking.

I have been immensely supported by amazing woodworkers on this forum in the woodwork thread and those members kept me trying to achieve more with their encouragement.

I have even had my marriage saved by a forum member who dragged me through one of the darkest times of my life, and I will always be in his debt for that.

One thing never changes though, I cant give up the people who make this forum a place I keep coming back to every day.

So am I alone in this? are there others who still hang around here despite not actually riding their bikes?

You are not alone.

My bike riding has dwindled down to leisurely rides every two months with my kids through a forest.

I reckon it iwll increase again once they get stronger and we can elevate the riding a bit. 

I went from being a very competitive cyclist doing close to 15000km(training and racing) a year to having 3 kids in as many years and now all I do is ride 8km to work and back most days and the argus every year(and a lot slower than usual). Like Wayne said, I hope it will increase again after the kids require less attention and work. I am still able to post over 1k posts per year here.

Me too. Used to ride all weekend and now that I've gone and bought a motorbike, I find I'm on that much more.

Go to say, though, that despite it not being as good for me as MTB, it is still as enjoyable and I travel and see more now than I used to.

You are not alone. My beloved 2013 hand-me-down Silverback Dual is kaput. I did at least 2 races every month - I have not cycled the last 10 months. I do not have the financial means to replace it.

Am I an imposter? It sure feels so. I still shave my legs...

we all go through the phases.

There were a few years where I did not even do 1000km for the year.

Somewhere during the course of the last 2 years the spark got ignited again.

This year will see me doing the most mileage I've done on a bike in a year since I've started keeping record. Its still no where close to where most guys are but I'm loving it again.

Plus 1 over here. I've done the ubiquitous road races long ago but have never been a cyclist cyclist. In fact years ago when my road bike was stolen I replaced it with a tri bike and thats the only bike I have now. I've since moved on from triathlon so its just sitting pretty in the spare room. Every now and then we say we should head out on the weekend for a short ride but it rarely happens. I miss it but theres just not enough time, and interests change, I'm happy.

I only really frequent about 5 threads here which I (almost to an embarrassing extent) look forward to catching up on every morning. 

You are not alone. My beloved 2013 hand-me-down Silverback Dual is kaput. I did at least 2 races every month - I have not cycled the last 10 months. I do not have the financial means to replace it.

Am I an imposter? It sure feels so. I still shave my legs...

Me too, except my lekker tan has gone.....

I went from being a very competitive cyclist doing close to 15000km(training and racing) a year to having 3 kids in as many years and now all I do is ride 8km to work and back most days and the argus every year(and a lot slower than usual). Like Wayne said, I hope it will increase again after the kids require less attention and work. I am still able to post over 1k posts per year here.

And still faster than most people  :whistling:

Plus 1 over here. I've done the ubiquitous road races long ago but have never been a cyclist cyclist. In fact years ago when my road bike was stolen I replaced it with a tri bike and thats the only bike I have now. I've since moved on from triathlon so its just sitting pretty in the spare room. Every now and then we say we should head out on the weekend for a short ride but it rarely happens. I miss it but theres just not enough time, and interests change, I'm happy.

I only really frequent about 5 threads here which I (almost to an embarrassing extent) look forward to catching up on every morning. 

My roadie came about because of triathlon, it was what got me back into cycling all those years ago. After many years of triathlon I packed it in, my mates had all moved on and it really started getting lonely at the start of races.

The same thing has happened with MTB, the mates are doing other things and while I did ride alone for a while after that it just wasnt the same.

Sure I could make new cycling mates but the excitement has moved on for now and though Im sure it will come back, its just on the back burner for now.

Work changed this week so also dropped from 10 000km cycling per year to very low milage (maybe 200 - 300km per month).  Hope routine will settle in at some point and the milage pick up somewhat again.

In the mean time, still come here for updates on cycling stuff and following Tech Q&A questions and general chit chat stuff.

Some minor missing data in 2008 and 2009, since getting my first Garmin. Prior to that it was recorded on a Polar CS100 with no export functionality, and ironically the best performances on a bike (even though age was a factor).

The graph below tells the story of minimal bike rides between 2010 and 2014 when the kids were born, growing up and working killer hours at 2 companies, of which I am back at the same on I was at in 2010-2012, but not making the same mistake of stopping completely - now I just manage my ride time better.

post-1372-0-03426600-1570777106_thumb.png

Same here. I've probably only done 1000 km this year so far. Stupid injury and other hobbies (like woodworking as well) are taking preference. I probably have too many hobbies, interests and stuff vying for my free time, and I can get a bit obsessive over things which can then become a struggle to try and find a balance for everything.

But this forum is only one of many I've been part of since we moved on from dialup internet. Yahoo forums (remember those), woodworking, audio, DIY audio, herp forums, sputnik, etc etc. and now occasionally even reddit. They're usually such great platforms to learn from, and to get exposed to new things.