Is the MTB event bubble about to burst?

Zoon Cronje_939

It's less time consuming to up your skill level. Not everybody has loads of free hours every week to get fitter, but it takes 1 hour on the weekend to improve your skill a moer of a lot. Unfortunately the super fit gravel grinders who clearly have time on their hands aren't interested in upping their skill levels.

Another truth bomb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's less time consuming to up your skill level. Not everybody has loads of free hours every week to get fitter, but it takes 1 hour on the weekend to improve your skill a moer of a lot. Unfortunately the super fit gravel grinders who clearly have time on their hands aren't interested in upping their skill levels.

Not only that but they congregate in packs and block out the entry to the singletrack.

What I don't understand is how they obtain their superior seeding into B or C batch.

it is obvious that the seeding system rewards people who ride more stage races i.e. therefore with more disposable income

ahhh the age old discussion of unskilled riders IN FRONT OF you downhill beasts

yip they qualified for better seeding or they fitter climbing up, or grinding flats better

so Qualify for better seeding, learn to grind gravel roads, get up the hill faster,,,,essentially all you guys with big steel balls are saying is "my one specialized aspect of riding ,,,,,is bettererrr than ALL YOURS"

GOT IT :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :whistling: :whistling:

That is why the Fat and Lazy riders like me enjoy enduro so much.

PS: I've run the full gamut of alphabet soup seeding in the last couple of years. You get *** descenders even in the A Bunch at races like W2W. Fortunately they seem to have less of an "I got here first" attitude than the wannabee racers in the B-Z groups.

Not only that but they congregate in packs and block out the entry to the singletrack.

What I don't understand is how they obtain their superior seeding into B or C batch.

it is obvious that the seeding system rewards people who ride more stage races i.e. therefore with more disposable income

It rewards dirt roadies. Maybe they should include enduro events in the seeding criteria. 50% of your seeding comes from enduro and 50% comes from gravel grinding

and the downhill boys get their nipples all sensitive

Diesel and Dust you 100% correct I know nothing,, because you know me so well must make your point valid, :blink:  :blink:

PS  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling: means tongue in check, taking the piss calm yourself to a panic

we all know you Downhill boys have balls and skill,,,chill

Diesel and Dust you 100% correct I know nothing,, because you know me so well must make your point valid, :blink:  :blink:

PS  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling: means tongue in check, taking the piss calm yourself to a panic

I LIKED YOU BETTER WHEN YOU TYPED LIKE THIS....

maybe i should have used comic sans...

Skande !!! using stage races to do stage race seeding !!

Wow what on earth is the world coming to ?? 

Please share more info RE this! Sounds amazing

The bubble is indeed about to burst for the stage races that are busy pricing themselves out of the market. However I still believe the "value the money" events will be supported going forward.

Most of my cycling friendship circle have settled on organizing our own long weekends away near popular mtb trails and it works out at a fraction of the cost of these multi stage events. The bonus is we get to stay in fairly luxury accommodation and dine like Kings every day.

e.g. a recent trip to the Groot Vadersbos reserve cost us R3000 each for 4 days (all in), including the transport and it offered some of the best trails and gravel roads I've ridden in ages.

Skande !!! using stage races to do stage race seeding !!

Wow what on earth is the world coming to ?? 

eish....

stage races carry a higher weighting in the SASEEDING calculation. Riding stage races does not make you more capable. In my experience the reverse is true

I do wonder if the situation is similar oversees. I'm far from being a racing snake and most people let me pass when I asked politely in Canada. People also seem to drive way more polite so it might be cultural thing. Not bashing Canadians in any way, I love the place and people.

We fight or way through the morning commute and some of that mentality probably rubs off on us while riding. I'm sure I could train more and be fitter but the person refusing to get out of the way/insists on walking technical sections can "upskill" as well. I try to get out of the way for faster riders and try to let them enjoy their race as well. 

I do wonder if the situation is similar oversees. I'm far from being a racing snake and most people let me pass when I asked politely in Canada. People also seem to drive way more polite so it might be cultural thing. Not bashing Canadians in any way, I love the place and people.

We fight or way through the morning commute and some of that mentality probably rubs off on us while riding. I'm sure I could train more and be fitter but the person refusing to get out of the way/insists on walking technical sections can "upskill" as well. I try to get out of the way for faster riders and try to let them enjoy their race as well. 

You may be onto something here. I was having a chat with a few European guys at the Shiraz. The conversation was started when one of them asked why does yes mean yes or no in SA whereas in Europe Yes means Yes and is binding. He was marketing a product and couldn't understand why people would  say " yes i'll come back later" but never be seen again.

I can't explain it but  it was an interesting observation about the respect we have for people outside of ourselves.

"Yes, I'll come back later" can hide a multitude of truths....

Like: Hell No, I cant afford that on the South African Rand!

or: My wife will kill me if I buy another bike item...

or: I'm on a limited holiday budget and I cant afford what you are selling...

or: The other supplier has a bevy of hot chicks at their stand...I'm off.

Maybe we are just trying to be nice instead of being honest???

ahhh the age old discussion of unskilled riders IN FRONT OF you downhill beasts

yip they qualified for better seeding or they fitter climbing up, or grinding flats better

so Qualify for better seeding, learn to grind gravel roads, get up the hill faster,,,,essentially all you guys with big steel balls are saying is "my one specialized  aspect of riding ,,,,,is bettererrr than ALL YOURS"

GOT IT :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Not my view at all, if you're in front of me you deserve to be. I just don't enjoy sitting behind you twiddling my thumbs listening to your squeaky brakes when I could be enjoying the track. In the context of this thread that's why I prefer not to do stage races and pay big bucks for the irritation. The alternative of riding trails with my mates is far more enjoyable and cheaper and I am always amused at how we seem to sort out who should take the lead on certain tracks without a fuss but when it comes to a stage "race" we can't seem to accept that someone else could be quicker be it up or down the hill. We just occupy our space denying the other guy the opportunity to play to his strengths and I am not talking about the front of the field.

Pick one or all :)

Nailed it on the head