Held up at gunpoint on the Spruit this morning - 7/11/2019

MTBc

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Like UnclePolli was saying, we were mugged at gunpoint this morning @ Emmarentia Dam (5:50).....

I really enjoy the Spruit and will try and still use it at least on weekends but the Spruit users should make a plan......

Glad you lived to tell the tale.

I'm afraid any ride that includes a 50/50 chance of me having to lobb my bike over a fence and run for my life is not a ride I want to do.

From a WhatsApp chat group (JMBN Security):

A group of patrollers from Montgomery Park and Roosevelt Park have taken it upon themselves to patrol the perimeters and neighbouring streets to the Emmarentia dam, where the robbery incidents occurred. The patrol was from 05:00 to 06:00 this morning. There were 4 vehicles with lights. A few cycling, a few runners and some walking. In total there was 15 to 20 patrollers. If anyone from Emmarentia or Greenside is interested in joining, you welcome to meet us at the Greenside mosque at 04:45 every morning.

A group of patrollers from Montgomery Park and Roosevelt Park have taken it upon themselves to patrol the perimeters and neighbouring streets to the Emmarentia dam, where the robbery incidents occurred. The patrol was from 05:00 to 06:00 this morning. There were 4 vehicles with lights. A few cycling, a few runners and some walking. In total there was 15 to 20 patrollers. If anyone from Emmarentia or Greenside is interested in joining, you welcome to meet us at the Greenside mosque at 04:45 every morning.

So just an update. We did come across a few unsavory characters. One of whom we are quite sure was up to no good. This gentlemen entered the Vlei on John Makenzie at around 5am and exited only around 5:30. Appeared to be a runner at first. Was very aggressive when he came across the patrollers. Hopefully they get the message.

Description:
Slightly Tall BM, grey track pants, blue thin long sleeve top, tekkies & dark spottie type hat.

So just an update. We did come across a few unsavory characters. One of whom we are quite sure was up to no good. This gentlemen entered the Vlei on John Makenzie at around 5am and exited only around 5:30. Appeared to be a runner at first. Was very aggressive when he came across the patrollers. Hopefully they get the message.

Description:
Slightly Tall BM, grey track pants, blue thin long sleeve top, tekkies & dark spottie type hat.

Chapeau to the local community for some positive "not in our back yard' action.

Brlliant. It is time for +ve action so well done.

This gets worse if nothing done so well done.

As pointed out tax payer funded cops don't do too much and seem to lack interest- so well done again. Hope it works, this is the best way to keep out unsavoury characters in a +ve not gungho way. Locals looking after fellow locals, awesome work. 

Another day and another armed robbery. On the Spruit just below Pick N Pay  on William Nicole this morning.... not sure about the details

Edited by Paulst12

Another day and another armed robbery. On the Spruit just below Pick N Pay  on William Nicole this morning.... not sure about the details

I worry that once word gets out as to how easy this is to pull off, with pretty much no risk to the perp re capture or punishment it may turn into a "Christmas Bonus" extravaganza....

I worry that once word gets out as to how easy this is to pull off, with pretty much no risk to the perp re capture or punishment it may turn into a "Christmas Bonus" extravaganza....

Exactly right... seems the 3 perpetrators have the same operandi in that they pick somewhere along the Spruit where its easy escape and pretty tight so you cant get away. At the PnP, they can run upto any waiting car / taxi on William N, and at Emmerentia they use the culvert to  get back onto the road where an escape vehicle is waiting.

I was attacked myself, stabbed, Robbed phone and bike etc etc. @ RiverFields in Kempton Park. November 2017.

Never been back there.

Still Cycling almost every day.

FuXK the Spruit, Cycle Somewhere else. The Spruit is not so Lekker Anyway and Neither is RiverFields.

I fear the day the perps decide to take the protection of their right to entitlement into their own hands and start attacking these good hearted locals for interfering with their operations

Brlliant. It is time for +ve action so well done.

This gets worse if nothing done so well done.

As pointed out tax payer funded cops don't do too much and seem to lack interest- so well done again. Hope it works, this is the best way to keep out unsavoury characters in a +ve not gungho way. Locals looking after fellow locals, awesome work. 

The best way to resolve this is by getting the vagrants/ plastic collectors involved (as I dont think that it is one of them, they have to much to loose ifbthey get evicted) by either a big cash reward or by threat of eviction because of the attacks. This sucks big time.

I was attacked myself, stabbed, Robbed phone and bike etc etc. @ RiverFields in Kempton Park. November 2017.

Never been back there.

Still Cycling almost every day.

FuXK the Spruit, Cycle Somewhere else. The Spruit is not so Lekker Anyway and Neither is RiverFields.

Riverfields security has improved, they have security on the premises funded by Finish Line and donations.