[Event] Coronation Double Century 2019

DieselnDust

I'd love to do it but when I see people riding 200km in an hour longer than my CTCT times I get nervous  - Using a 330 CTC can I assume it would take me twice as long plus a bit more as I fade.  So I need a team who wants to ride for 8 hours  - hell that's a long time on a bicycle

Yep 8 hours is a long time - but that would be the idea.

Take a bunch of people who have never every been together, they dont mind riding slowly and can ride for a long time.  All mix of skills with a big dose of having fun and adventure, with some who ride 200km all the time, with some who will ride their first 200km. Everyone with a little fitness under the belt and can just generally enjoy the day.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you said, the format is the way it is because of closing the passes, not because the race organisers view of the heat.

Look I understand why its done the way it is, and the heat is not the reason, this is a consequence.

We ca start rattling off 30 different reason why the one format is better than the other, but the primary reason for the format is organiser logistics not rider safety. This is not an attack on the orgnisers, it is a simple statement.

Fast teams enter the DC knowing they will need to navigate slower teams, in the same way that everybody enters it knowing it will be hot, and that there are hills at the end.

I dont think the format should change, I just think the drafting rules need to be enforced a little bit more, as its the breaking of the no drafting rules that leads to large bunches forming, which in turn makes the passing more difficult and dangerous.

Edit: and it makes some people “punchy”

I completely agree. The format is fine the way it is. The drafting is a major problem. Teams should be penalised for this as they should be for exceeding the average speed limit in Cogmanskloof pass. Many teams have riders that tranverse this section at race pace without regard for their own and others safety. Until people get the 1hour time penalty or a 1year ban it won't change. It just gets worse and drafting is now considered a legitimate strategy.

The motorcycle based marshals did a great job enforcing the white line rule as far as I could tell but no team got penalised for it. Either have rules and enforce them or scrap them. The drafting is more unsafe than aerobars as many people can't ride with others in close proximity

Except for the roadworks section, I think it's perfect as it is. The neutral zones add to the vibe of the whole event, as does the faster teams starting last. Overtaking teams does slow you down a little, but it's not that bad and adds to the gees. Imagine the lonely day out if you're the slowest team and you start last.

It can be very lonely if you are relatively fast as well and start early. Back in the days long ago I rode it one it took us about 10 k's thats about 15 minutes to roe up the 10 teams that started before us. At least it was out nd back so we crossed some teams on the way back later on. At least we had the beer tent and pool just for us at ht efinish for quite a whie ;) 

great report!. I envy teams that can look at the big picture and go for the best resut possible without any animosity amongst the members. Thats really quite special

Pretty much sums up Savage in one sentence. Have been chatting to riders that trained hard for 3 months, best fitness ever and had to endure 9 hours at the DC as 2 team mates at cake for 3 months and the team wanted to get all 12 across the line.  :wacko:  :wacko:

Our Lady rider has whiplash and a concussion and is now feeling groovy on some specialty meds.

Our Gent who came down has a stable supra-pubic fracture of his pelvis. we are awaiting Drs feedback. but in general 6 weeks bedrest is the norm for these fractures. 

Hey Furbz

Glad the lady is on the mend! Sorry to hear about your old man! From what I hear he's as tough as nails so hoping for a full recovery!

Hopefully see you on the bike soon!

Pretty much sums up Savage in one sentence. Have been chatting to riders that trained hard for 3 months, best fitness ever and had to endure 9 hours at the DC as 2 team mates at cake for 3 months and the team wanted to get all 12 across the line.  :wacko:  :wacko:

Got that t-shirt! And the one for we going for Charles Milner but after Montagu half the team gets g%tvol waiting for the slow guys and surge ahead - do you now keep nursing the stragglers or chase after the breakaway?

Each to their own but I prefer the "let's go full blast until there were 6" strategy, makes for far more crazy war stories afterwards!