What would it take to do the CT cycle race in 3hrs?

braamverster

Its very simple if you want that time do 7 x 5min all out efforts twice a week on nice long climbs, naturally you'll loose weight and climb faster which means you'll keep up with your seeded group. don't loose contact over the first 4 climbs and you will be fine. ride 3 hour - 4 hours days on weekends. the first 10km of the Argus is very fast so make sure when you do your intervals your hitting them at 175bpm so you get use to climbing at lactate threshold. good luck

Thanks, I agree, Northcliff here I come....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I break my CTCT up into 4 parts. I make sure my positioning is good in these 4 sections and I prepare myself to dig VERY deep. I make sure that I have eaten and drank before these 4 sections as I don't want to be worrying about trying to do either.

1. Edinburg drive

2. Smits

3. Chappies

4. Suikerbossie.

Everything else in between I make sure I ride smart and conserve energy.

I break my CTCT up into 4 parts. I make sure my positioning is good in these 4 sections and I prepare myself to dig VERY deep. I make sure that I have eaten and drank before these 4 sections as I don't want to be worrying about trying to do either.

1. Edinburg drive

2. Smits

3. Chappies

4. Suikerbossie.

Everything else in between I make sure I ride smart and conserve energy.

This sounds far too much my race strategy advice of 'Go till you blow, just make sure you eat and drink and you should be fine'..... You told me to charge for that and here you are handing it out for free?! 

Group matters  lot, I agree,

But to give people some hope, on that perfect day in 2018, even in start group G, 28% people finished below 3hrs... see below from racetec data

% of riders who did sub 3 A 70% B 61% C 43% D 37% E 36% F 29% G 28%

I'm specifically referring to the Pedalpower seedings not the start groups

If you were in start group G for the CTCT you probably had a low C / high D pedalpower seeding + 2018 were perfect conditions.

Just to repeat- if on the day your strategy involves  "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background with you doing the ride of your life you are doing it wrong, sub-3 on the day should be easy, the hard work is in the preparation.

Edited by Skubarra

This sounds far too much my race strategy advice of 'Go till you blow, just make sure you eat and drink and you should be fine'..... You told me to charge for that and here you are handing it out for free?! 

LOL but your advice was for a mamoth, awesome, exclusive bucket list race. Mine is a race that just about every cyclist in the country has done or wants to do.

I'm specifically referring to the Pedalpower seedings not the start groups

If you were in start group G for the CTCT you probably had a low C / high D pedalpower seeding + 2018 were perfect conditions.

Just to repeat- if on the day your strategy involves  "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background with you doing the ride of your life you are doing it wrong, sub-3 on the day should be easy, the hard work is in the preparation.

OK, got it - just searched for my pedal power rating - its F, so quite some work to do... I will play "Eye of the tiger" as I go up and down Northcliff

Just to repeat- if on the day your strategy involves "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background with you doing the ride of your life you are doing it wrong...

Coffee snot!

LOL but your advice was for a mamoth, awesome, exclusive bucket list race. Mine is a race that just about every cyclist in the country has done or wants to do.

Ha!

It's actually part of one of my more serious 'words of wisdom' to myself when I start any race, be it a 200 mile foot race or the Argust.... 'You only get to blow once'...

Once you blow you blow. If it's a 5km time trial, a 500km AR, Argust or Freedom Challenge, once you blow you blow and coming back from that is usually crippling to your goals.

Ha!

It's actually part of one of my more serious 'words of wisdom' to myself when I start any race, be it a 200 mile foot race or the Argust.... 'You only get to blow once'...

Once you blow you blow. If it's a 5km time trial, a 500km AR, Argust or Freedom Challenge, once you blow you blow and coming back from that is usually crippling to your goals.

I have blown too many times to try that strategy. I am not brave enough.

I have blown too many times to try that strategy. I am not brave enough.

I think my favourite protagonist of said strategy currently is Jim Walmsly... It's DNF or 1st place for him.

I always just make sure I eat and drink so I'm usually ok....  :ph34r:

Ha!

pfft uniblower, sounds like you enter the paincave with pap batteries in your headlamp.

An interesting topic, my goal next year is to get my old man who just turned 65 a sub 3.

We plan to do 2 seeding events, he is getting a coach and there will be plenty of wheel sucking.

fdfabb6c6c79b17e1cd432ec2adada29.jpg

Sub 3 bike sorted already!!

His best CTCT out was 2 years ago on this bike 3:21 (his 21st Argus)

I actually have that same goal -  I'm trying to get my first sub3 AFTER becoming a member of club21!  my best time is actually 2:50, but some people say the 2015 race does not count.

also involves actually doing seeding rides and k@k like that.