[Event] The MTB Challenge

Pedal Power Association

What was the reason for walking this section? Gradient seems fine?

Yep, don't trust that photo. If my son says it was super skethcy, then you can bet that the average MTBer would feel safer walking that section. My son is quite decent on technical sections, and he rode it, and I am not too shabby but he said 'Pa sou daai stuk geloop het'.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when do we get to talk about the e-bikes.....

The first e-bike caught up to us A riders at around 20-25km on that steep rocky climb almost at the top of Boschendal. We were all slogging up that hill when he came flying up at speed zigzagging through us, and then he lost control going UPHILL! He had to dismount to avoid going into the bushes..I litterally laughed in his face, he deserved that! He eventually disappeared into the distance up that climb only to be caught again on the singletrack where he couldn't make the corners without walking around them for some reason.. the enitre race it went like that, he would pass us with a moerse spoed uphill, and then he'd hold us up or we'd pass him again going down singletracks again. 

Before this race I didn't care about e-bikes at races, but after Saturday I do. 

Ebikes for the win :clap:

The opposite, for the loose. They should start at the back and be told not to ask for track. They can over take on jeep track. With those rules in place I won't mind them.

When we went through there everybody was still riding, but it is rather scary because the drop on the side is steep. I enjoyed it. 

Shame my Toppie had a race to forget. He said he felt good but it was way too technical for his lack of experience. Being a Joburger, there is nothing quite as tough and technical up here so it was new to him. Also he has only started doing proper MTB late last year as he is off to Oz in October to do some 4 day MTB race so he is just entering every race he can. The time,distance and intensity is no issue for him at all but he said he just couldn't stay on the bike properly having little offs(luckily nothing big as I need him 100% on Sunday) on a few occasions. Then to top it all off his one shoe decided to explode on him with the upper and sole came apart with about 20km to go. He was forced to ride(or walk rather) with only one shoe. So he is off to CWC today to get some new MTB shoes so he can do more riding this week.

So I hope for his sake Sabi and Clarens are not as technical as those 2 are in the next month and a bit.

I was not at the race, but those trails are not really technical. This seems to be the problem with SA MTB, every trail is getting dumbed down to cater for the masses so when there is (very seldom) a route that is close to what MTB should be there is an issue.

Not criticising your old man, he is used to what he is used to, but the guys like Tygerberg MTB club (and other trial sites with huge amount of members) are not doing enough to create trails that challenge riders; so they never get the skills needed. Even worse is that they mis-grade the trails so people ride these trails and think they are capable when they are not.

Flame suit on.

, but the guys like Tygerberg MTB club (and other trial sites with huge amount of members) are not doing enough to create trails that challenge riders; so they never get the skills needed. 

Just wow, not long before the outbreak of the corona virus will be blamed on Tygerberg mtb club as well  :wacko:

It was perfectly rideable but a bit scary/high stakes. I was seeded in the last group due to having no race history with the PPA. By the time I got to that section everyone was walking, so I mostly walked with them. There were a number of single-track sections of the race which involved unnecessary walking. Frustrating, but understandable.

Even worse is that they mis-grade the trails so people ride these trails and think they are capable when they are not.

Regarding grading, I've noticed something similar; a blue trail on the TMTB network is easy but a blue trail on an Australian network scares me. I figured the Australians had mis-graded the trail haha.

Edited by aquaratza

I think the grading on Jonkers is about right. The blue trails on Jonkers compare about to the red trails on Helderberg.

Shame my Toppie had a race to forget. He said he felt good but it was way too technical for his lack of experience. Being a Joburger, there is nothing quite as tough and technical up here so it was new to him. Also he has only started doing proper MTB late last year as he is off to Oz in October to do some 4 day MTB race so he is just entering every race he can. The time,distance and intensity is no issue for him at all but he said he just couldn't stay on the bike properly having little offs(luckily nothing big as I need him 100% on Sunday) on a few occasions. Then to top it all off his one shoe decided to explode on him with the upper and sole came apart with about 20km to go. He was forced to ride(or walk rather) with only one shoe. So he is off to CWC today to get some new MTB shoes so he can do more riding this week.

So I hope for his sake Sabi and Clarens are not as technical as those 2 are in the next month and a bit.

Why not encourage him to do a skills session or two when he is down here.

https://bikinginthebosch.co.za/

Joanna is amazing at translating skills into something that is coachable and understandable. Give it to him as a gift and you'll be his favourite son while riding in Oz.

Just wow, not long before the outbreak of the corona virus will be blamed on Tygerberg mtb club as well  :wacko:

Well I read a piece by a random dude in the interweb (which must mean they are en expert) who said that coronavirus definitely possibly came from drinking tiger milk whilst standing on a hill so......yeah.

Haha, thanks :) and yes.

I was planning on holding my tongue but er, yeah, I was surprised when the ebikes started overtaking.

Oh man, one of them overtook me at crazy speeds (up a steep section too)... and about 20 minutes later I found him stuck on the side of the road.

The other e-bike highlight was a rather large lady, sitting with her e-bike at the finish, smoking a cigarette. Individually those factors don't elicit a reaction from me, but together I find them a bit contradictory. 

When I think of the spirit behind "race event" and "e-bike" I think "someone who would like to join in but is physically unable to due to age/disability/etc." and I think on principle this is a sweet idea. I don't have a problem with ebikes on these events per se, I think it just needs to be managed tactfully. Restrictions on power output and capabilities should also be codified. It's a complex thing.

I should rock up with a Greyp g12s... It has pedals... those scramblers look like a lot of fun.

If you are willing to spend the bucks you can get your e Bike "chipped" just like a turbo car to make even MORE power....

If you are willing to spend the bucks you can get your e Bike "chipped" just like a turbo car to make even MORE power....

When/If I eventually get an ebike I'd totally go the MAX POWER route :D. Given that there are no restrictions if you are going to get an ebike you might as well go the full hog; BIG battery, BIG motor and HUGE brake disc rotors. This wouldn't be for exercise, this would be gratuitous fun. Having a battery on a bicycle is like having chocolates in the cupboard; one can't resist... but it would be fun.

Edited by aquaratza

I'm off to go ride my e-bike, if I see any of you stragglers on the uphill watch out I'm coming past.

Please be kind on the way down as my tech skill is not good.

But who cares I'm rich, fat and arrogant 

I'm rich, fat, arrogant and ride a normal bike. So I'm better than you. 

Sadly I am only fat and arrogant, and yes, no, e-bike. Only powered 2 wheeler I have has 1301 cc of pure orange adrenaline. Lack of funds due to orange beast.

Edited by Moridin

at least you have the right bike. not the one with the propeller and scaffolding. i still want to see what those boxes actually have in them? (pun intended)

Sadly I am only fat and arrogant, and yes, no, e-bike. Only powered 2 wheeler I have has 1301 cc of pure orange adrenaline. Lack of funds due to orange beast.

I had as hard a day out in Banhoek as I anticipated 

I am a poor climber and struggled up some of those long steep slopes and so had to push my bike a lot. 

Then because I was tired I did not attempt those loose switchbacks. My excuse is that I don't have a dropper seat post but after seeing a few riders in front of me wipe out I took the safe option.

I had to help a few riders who had fallen down the slopes. Luckily just bruised egos for them.

I did try and act like a wide eyed tourist taking in the sights and sounds. An awesome place to ride but it was hard to be happy that the fires (and smoke) did not affect us when many others were in danger of losing lives and property.

I thought that the 30km course would have been too easy but the 60km one was too long for me. I was never an endurance athlete and ageing has deleted what I had.

My wife ,who loves climbing , finished an hour ahead of me.