Nic Dlamini's arm broken by Table Mountain rangers

Velouria

if you look from the rangers side, it could have been thug who was on way to stab someone?  One dont know what happened before they manhandled him.   From rangers perpective he was just another trespasser without permit.   We all know thugs dress up these days to blend in

Will rather wait for full report before blaming anyone,

Ja sure

I think all understand that there are 2 sides to every story

BUT confusing a skinny pro cyclist riding his bike for a "thug looking for someone to stab" is a flipping long shot

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that sound, heard the same thing when I broke my humerus, probably a spiral fracture because of the twisting action.

So apparently this is what happens when people "resist"??

Looks like a spiral fracture... I'm guessing two ti plates and maybe 20 screws

I remember that sound, heard the same thing when I broke my humerus, probably a spiral fracture because of the twisting action.

That sound is loud,

I was at close quarters to an arm breaking that way and it is not a sound I would want to hear again.

Looking at the footage it appears excessive. Would be keen to know what SANPARKS procedure is when confronting a rider as is claimed who refuses to show permit/access card. Do they suss up the situation and allow the rider to continue to avoid it escalating , or do they prevent him and if so how. 

I have also had first hand experience of Sanpark ranger's and their rude and aggressive behaviour. Several friends have had similar experiences. 

Not surprised in the least that this happened. Only difference is this time it was caught on video. 

Ja, so it is Friday and I have washed down some leftover turkey with plenty wine... thus I am now in a position to pass a preliminary assessment...

It shouldn't matter whether the fellow is skinny, famous or anything else... fact is that he probably didn't pay on entering the reserve, and if that is the case, he is as guilty as a fanatical bomber on an airplane.

No matter the above, it is obviously a bit excessive to snap someone's limbs based on the severity of the alleged transgression, and it seems the matter is being investigated.

So, because it is Friday, I suggest a truce btw the drama/conspiracy police and the aptly named three-sides-to-all-stories crowd, allowing for time to digest and pass judgment.

In Joburg we would have stolen his bike, shot the camera man and misplaced the video evidence... so I consider this nothing more than a typical Cape mismanaged matter.

Just heard the interview on 702 radio with Donovan the witness that filmed it . He said Nic’s bars were pulled causing him to fall as he excited the park.The video then shows what transpired. He had to stop filming as he was threatened.

Edited by xcd

Just wondering at what time this hits cyclingnews.com , can only think it will reinforce the truth that we are a nation of trigger happy, macho types who love nothing more than violence to solve issues.

Can't wait to see SANPARKS try and spin their way out of this - problem is that all the brass from Pta and Cpt are on holiday and some poor junior has been left to field the sh*tstorm from Winde et al.

I'm really sorry this happened to Nic - but it was going to happen at some stage that SANPARKS got caught out.

Hope Nic heals soon.

Hope SANPARKS gets rashed for a very long time and that finally they catch a wake up.

There can be no justification for an assault of this nature. I hope Nic heals up quickly and well.

I too have witnessed these SANparks thugs dealing with a vagrant on the signal hill road. 5 of them ineffectually shouting and manhandling the guy.

Struck me as incompetent and aggressive. Aren't we all so tired of the senseless violence that kicks off at the drop of a hat here?

Im wondering how this would compare with how state troopers in the USA react to uncooperative persons?

Im not in favour of such treatment. Our violent society leads to violent policing. ☹

Edited by Christie

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/watch-cycling-star-nic-dlamini-breaks-arm-during-scuffle-with-table-mountain-rangers-20191227

Shoeeeee weeeee SANParks have to do what they have to do and support their rangers as much as possible. But they have BIG problems on their hands!

"As per the law, that is a transgression which requires them to be fined or apprehended," he added.

"It is alleged that the cyclist became quite aggressive with the rangers, hence the scuffle. The arm may have broken as a result of him resisting arrest," Thakhuli explained."

These are big statements from Mr Thakhul, who is up the creek without a paddle.

This is not going to end well.

This country makes me want to weep. I remember as a small child going to the Brixton police station with my father to try to help Frans who was the gardener's son, he must have been 19 years old, who had been beaten up and arrested for not carrying his pass. I think we were told he was resisting arrest too.

Is there a parallel here? A black South African professional athlete assaulted by an official for not producing his pass? The layers of history and brutality rupture into everyday life all the time here. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

Personally I am glad the parties involved were of the same race, so at least in this case we can focus on our violence and thug mentality in society instead of attacking or defending a particular race.

Nick was probably cheeky, but I can't see SANPARK justifying this brutality. Are they even allowed to apprehend someone for not showing their pass?