This is what a **** looks like

crashtestdummy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About a week ago above Llandudno early windy morn I see a cyclist ahead of me about 0.5m in the road on a blind corner with nobody near him and a big empty yellow line, I give a brief 'toot' as I go past (far enough past not to alarm him and def not a sit on the hooter) and get flipped off and sworn at, so I wait about 300m up the road for him byside my car. I say thats really not necessary as I was just trying to warn him of the blind corner and him being in the road, I specifically state that I am not going to swear at him or hit him.

He continues to swear at me and tell me he's doing intervals at 500watts and its 45km/h gusting wind, so he needs to be in the road.

He tells me I have a miserable life and I should get effed.

I get back in my car and drive off past him and on with my life. But I was pissed for a bit.

He's around a lot training on this road and is good, but not nearly as good a he thinks he is. His atittude will get him sorted out sooner or later.

Strangely I seem to getting mellower - I must admit there is a part of me that would have seen it escalate - but I dont think violence and incitement actually solves anything.

I did. Chappies. 2018. BMW again (although I also drive one, ha). I steered away from the 1m by-law, and went straight for a reckless and negligent driving complaint. Initially got kicked out by an incompetent junior prosecutor at Wynberg Magistrate's Court due to "lack of evidence" (when I had more evidence than existed in the Henri van Breda axe murder case!)

I accept that it helps that I used to practise law, as I went all the way up the food chain at the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions until I got results. 18 months later (with a healthy dose of patience and persistence), resulted in the driver serving 100 hours of community service, as well as having to go on an anger management course (to be paid for out of his own pocket! Lesson, I trust, learnt).

There is hope.

+1.

Can someone please give us one example ... just one, where there was a successful charge laid with someone passing to close by.  Hopping on a internet thread posting pic would not do anything as well as so called d**s is propably not on here in anyway.  (Must say I was hoping for a different pic :ph34r: )

About a week ago above Llandudno early windy morn I see a cyclist ahead of me about 0.5m in the road on a blind corner with nobody near him and a big empty yellow line, I give a brief 'toot' as I go past (far enough past not to alarm him and def not a sit on the hooter) and get flipped off and sworn at, so I wait about 300m up the road for him byside my car. I say thats really not necessary as I was just trying to warn him of the blind corner and him being in the road, I specifically state that I am not going to swear at him or hit him.

He continues to swear at me and tell me he's doing intervals at 500watts and its 45km/h gusting wind, so he needs to be in the road.

He tells me I have a miserable life and I should get effed.

I get back in my car and drive off past him and on with my life. But I was pissed for a bit.

He's around a lot training on this road and is good, but not nearly as good a he thinks he is. His atittude will get him sorted out sooner or later.

Strangely I seem to getting mellower - I must admit there is a part of me that would have seen it escalate - but I dont think violence and incitement actually solves anything.

He had every right to ride where he was. So no need for any warning toots hoots or poofs.

easier and safer to just wait till its safe to pass wide and get on with your day.

He had every right to ride where he was. So no need for any warning toots hoots or poofs.

easier and safer to just wait till its safe to pass wide and get on with your day.

my point exactly

Edited by tubed

aaah yes, perhaps you missed the point about there was a perfectly good empty1.5m yellow lane and the part of the road he was in gets cut by cars at speed

I didn't miss that part. You are clearly have an issue. The yellow line down that section of road is not a cycle lane. The cyclist is required by law to ride where he was. You were in the wrong and now try to justify your box behaviour by being some sort of road cycling guru. You were wrong, accept it and move on. But you clearly couldn't the last time you were wrong so eagerly await your next stepiin justification for your poor road manners.

Did a ride in Stellies today, was coming back from G Spot into town on a tar road (60 zone, but in a car you can't really go faster than 40 there). I'm riding as far to the left on the road as I can, groot man in his Croozer hoots at me - like lies on the hooter for 10 seconds, squeezes past me missing me by a very small margin. Anyway, roads were reasonably busy - so he couldn't really go anywhere - and it was sooo satisfying to slowly pedal past and overtake him while smiling and waving. Somehow I think my smile and wave was much more effective in pissing him off than a middle finger would've been :)

Did a ride in Stellies today, was coming back from G Spot into town on a tar road (60 zone, but in a car you can't really go faster than 40 there). I'm riding as far to the left on the road as I can, groot man in his Croozer hoots at me - like lies on the hooter for 10 seconds, squeezes past me missing me by a very small margin. Anyway, roads were reasonably busy - so he couldn't really go anywhere - and it was sooo satisfying to slowly pedal past and overtake him while smiling and waving. Somehow I think my smile and wave was much more effective in pissing him off than a middle finger would've been :)

Commuting home one day in Pretoria on hot summer afternoon I had to work through a traffic jam caused by an accident.  This dude in a Toyota Corolla tried to close the gap me so that I can't pas on his left.  When passing him on the big gap he left on the right I looked him in the face laughed at him.  Was much more satisfying than giving the bird.

Commuting home one day in Pretoria on hot summer afternoon I had to work through a traffic jam caused by an accident. This dude in a Toyota Corolla tried to close the gap me so that I can't pas on his left. When passing him on the big gap he left on the right I looked him in the face laughed at him. Was much more satisfying than giving the bird.

It's the small things in life hahaha :)

I was resting at a red robot in Claremont the other day slouched over my handlebars. A big bearded in the Ford Ranger pulls up behind me with his cell phone on the steering wheel texting and driving at the same time just. 10 seconds before this a little blonde poppet in a "daddy-bought-it-for-me-Audi" turned right across the traffic in that short pause while both robots are red. Then another cyclist rode down the hill in the other direction against the light - one hand on the bars the other changing the song on his phones with his earbud wires dangling under his chin (that's three laws broken simultaneously for my fellow cyclist)

Another moment from later on in the ride descending Noordhoek side of chappies - one of those Cobra sports cars - both driver and passenger looking at the view through their cell phone cameras, driver no hands on the wheel. Then me and and my incredulity and behind me a motorbike with the rider also filming the view with one hand on his bars. 

A mamil starts to feel a little crazy. I'm afraid I lost it a bit on chappies and shouted at them all pretty ferociously. I got an apology from the tourists in the Cobra and the finger from the motorcyclist. 

Today I rode up to the Tafelberg road - sitting on liitle camping stools under the trees and out of sight of the passing cars were 5 traffic cops - doing sweet-F-all.

I reckon there is scope for posting pictures of vehicles and people who behave egregiously on the roads. I wonder if there shouldn't be a dedicated thread on the hub for pictures and videos of these clowns and a story about what happened. Including cyclists.

I was resting at a red robot in Claremont the other day slouched over my handlebars. A big bearded in the Ford Ranger pulls up behind me with his cell phone on the steering wheel texting and driving at the same time just. 10 seconds before this a little blonde poppet in a "daddy-bought-it-for-me-Audi" turned right across the traffic in that short pause while both robots are red. Then another cyclist rode down the hill in the other direction against the light - one hand on the bars the other changing the song on his phones with his earbud wires dangling under his chin (that's three laws broken simultaneously for my fellow cyclist)

Another moment from later on in the ride descending Noordhoek side of chappies - one of those Cobra sports cars - both driver and passenger looking at the view through their cell phone cameras, driver no hands on the wheel. Then me and and my incredulity and behind me a motorbike with the rider also filming the view with one hand on his bars. 

A mamil starts to feel a little crazy. I'm afraid I lost it a bit on chappies and shouted at them all pretty ferociously. I got an apology from the tourists in the Cobra and the finger from the motorcyclist. 

Today I rode up to the Tafelberg road - sitting on liitle camping stools under the trees and out of sight of the passing cars were 5 traffic cops - doing sweet-F-all.

I reckon there is scope for posting pictures of vehicles and people who behave egregiously on the roads. I wonder if there shouldn't be a dedicated thread on the hub for pictures and videos of these clowns and a story about what happened. Including cyclists.

JIP, both cyclists and car drivers have the bad apples ....

Cycling it is easy to spot the bad car drivers.  Driving it is painful to see some of the stuff cyclists gets up to ...

Had an emotional roller coaster on 2 January 2020.  Nice drive with the family, back roads towards Franschoek.  LOTS of cyclists out on the road.  The one riding better than the next.  Truly nice to show off some good cycling to the family.  :thumbup:

And then the team practicing for the Argus (CTCT for new new kids).  First thing I see as I come around a blind bend is this little Tour De France moment with the domestic cycling next to the car, taking drinks and eats for the team.  Thankfully I was a leasurely drive, well below the speed limit, and slowed down for the mobile road block.

The domestic got back to the bunch, and I waited for the pace car to get back into the yellow line .... NOPE !!  ALL the cyclists were cycling neatly in the yellow line, but the pace car remained firmly IN the road.  This section of road is very twisty, with no way of passing the car, and twice I nearly had cars take out the back of my car due to the unexpected road block ....  :thumbdown:

At that moment I was ready to upload some dashcam footage of this person blocking the road .... but I realised that despite any amount of "facts", there will be three groups :

1) "cyclists dont belong on the roads" .... I certainly do not want to add fuel to this groups fire !!  (and the cyclists were NOT blocking the road, it was their illustrious back up driver giving cyclists a bad rep)

2) those that will be telling us how cycling in the yellow line is illegal, and that cyclists should be blocking the roads, yada yada .... ignoring the realities of blind corners .... 

3) then there are those cyclists who also drive cars, and how believe in a safe driving and cycling culture.

So as much as I wanted to vent at that driver for putting my family in danger - YES, we were so nearly rear ended ! - no amount of typing or video material is going to change those three mind-sets.

At least we are teaching Maritz to be a considerate member of society, both on his bicycle and in a car.  NONE of us "owns" any roads.  None of us have exclusive rights to any roads.  Let's share it in a safe manner.

I got hit riding up Chappies almost a year ago to the date.

Dude took me down the side of his Tiguan and knocked me into the bushes. He knew he had hit me, but happily carried on going.. So I got back on my bike and did some PB's to catch-up to him and got him to stop... 

His grandchildren are probably still asking him what a 'd**s, c**t, Fu**in Moron, tool, etc' and a few other words are. 

I would have carried on having a go at him, but halfway through I realised that I was wearing my work kit, and should behave a little better..

Tom