UCI DH World Cup 2020 - 2021 Season

Hairy

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 6 pack that says 'that ain't going to happen'.

I'm quite sure that there will be very little International sports of any kind this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Which part ?

Racing this year ... well he has to remain hopeful... though most unlikely ...

Getting a Brit citizenship ... and protecting his income from a 45% tax in the next few years .... sadly this was always going to happen with the new tax laws ...

Didn't think about the tax implications component because a lot of his income is foreign based..... But regardless.. If he's still tax resident in South Africa.. Then he's still liable for that... So still doesn't make sense about announcing to the world his British citizenship

Edit again.. Think it's just too make travel easier

Edited by Stretch

Didn't think about the tax implications component because a lot of his income is foreign based..... But regardless.. If he's still tax resident in South Africa.. Then he's still liable for that... So still doesn't make sense about announcing to the world his British citizenship

Difficult to get the correct information on this ....

Seems that as long as you are a SA citizen, you WILL be tax liable here.  The thin that is going to HURT most expats is the "living allowances" .... these gets added to their gross income, add exchange rate and most of these seem to be in the very high income bracket ... subtract 45% tax and they are in debt ....

From what I understand, and these rules are still very much being ironed out, you would need to get another citizenship, then have all income declared AND taxed in that country.

Greg is just the first (published) of many sports people to do this.  I know many expats are considering their options .... for most the biggest hurdle is getting their current assets out of SA, without being taxed to death ... 

Local newspapers WARNED Government against this !!  People like Greg spent LOTS of money in SA !!  Now we lose a bit of their tax, and most/all of their expenditure here ....

With any luck a few high profile mainstream sports people do the same .. before these laws come into full effect.  As the current version of these tax laws certainly leaves expats with zero options other than to leave for good ....