UCI XCO World Cup 2020 -2021 Season

Hairy

On 5/9/2021 at 6:19 PM, Frosty said:
On 5/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, dsw said:

No, I do not have anything to contradict what you posted, you are probably spot on.

I read about a week ago on the bikeperfect website that Pidcock reckoned his starting position in Albstadt would be 90 or something and that he is aiming for a top 16 so that he can start the short track next week.

He perhaps just gave a rough indication at the time without doing calculations.

I’m going to try find out why they talk about Pidcock having to be in the top 16, to qualify for the Short Track. I wish there was a place where the rules and details are simple to lookup.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, Tim Brink said:

Right here...  

post-86413-0-08250200-1620578735_thumb.png

So there were more than 16 in this second round, so the UCI rules are also outdated. 

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Frosty said:

So there were more than 16 in this second round, so the UCI rules are also outdated. 

Further up in that doc, about half a page:

Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 20.19.28.png

So who is the money on to win this round? Also who is the darkhorse that can turn the race on its head. 

Id love to see Simon Andreson ruffle a few feathers. He has the skill. Just lacks consistancy. 

Rob going on (&on) again about being big & powerful .... It's about power to weight ratio do0d.

Speaking of which, Tom is highly impressive, he rides so cleverly as well, was always in touch with the lead and only attacked in the last 1/2 lap.  Shame he ran out of gears in that sprint (or so he says) He was also fresh as a daisy at the end, cf MvdP who seemed wiped out. I'm looking forward to his first proper XCO win tomorrow.

Loana Lecomte is 50kg and 1.6m, so she must have good power to weight stats as well - pity she fell during the short track but I think we can expect to see a lot more of her on the podiums. Highly impressive. Most of the others are left gasping for breath with her in the lead. She rides so smooth and fluid.

Where can you find performance stats like above? Strava?

Edited by kosmonooit

16 hours ago, kosmonooit said:

It's taken a while, but I am getting into this short track racing.

Could XCC be the T20 of mountain biking?

XCO/XCM being the ODI format, and stage racing the Test match format.

22 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Not a bad comparison? I agree 

On 5/14/2021 at 6:56 PM, BaGearA said:

strange to me that the men are doing the same laps as the women , perhaps the ladies race went too far over 20min ( can't remember what it was now 

The ladies went flat out from the start so their race was pegged at 6 laps to hit the maximum 25min.

The men went out slow and this pegged their laps also at 6 laps

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

I was just thinking today ..Stage races are pretty much dead in the water..

5 hours ago, Stretch said:

I was just thinking today ..Stage races are pretty much dead in the water..

Stage racing was mostly just a huge deal in SA.

Even countries like Aus, NZ etc had a few a year. We had one every second week.

CX and XCO are the staple race format for anything off road. Easy to set up, easy for spectators, sponsors get good coverage as everything happens close to 'the hub'. Lots of foot traffic for all the disciplines all day. 

Mom and dad can bring the kids to watch whoever is racing without taking leave or driving 29 hours and it is a million times more spectator friendly.

In SA, as we have ALL the space and farrer is betterer, we obsessed over XCM and Stage Racing for way too long.

I used to race CX a lot when I was on the road. UK/Europe, Canada, NZ. It is the raddest form of racing. XCO a close second. Skill, red zone and the above spectator/logistic reasons make it rad. 

Getting back to the Cricket comparison.....

Short track would be more like The100

XCO - T20

XCM - ODI

Stage Racing - Test Matches

Any sport with a ball is outside my realm of reality... so no comment on the kriket analogy.

But talking XCM vs XCO vs CX etc its different for the average recreational mtb cyclist like myself, those events like Sabie, Barberton, Crater Cruise, Lion Man etc were / are a chance to get out of town and have a good day out on a mtb in nature, in parts not normally accessible. Most ride to finish, not for results. I consistently finished at a pace twice that of the winning time, and I was happy with that. 

XCO racing, whilst I am a fan, I would and do not enjoy, you need to be on very a high  level and I don't really enjoy going round in circles, I like an adventure, to go out there and back. Same with CX, big fan but I am not a racer and probably that applies to most cyclists.

So what happened to all those XCM events like I mentioned? In my opinion they got too commercial, what with mtb being the new golf, they all became part of a bigger brand and  were milked dry to the point of extinction.   Once I saw the VIP tents at the start/ finish areas, I knew the end was nigh.

Also a certain series turned itself into a dom two day event, that did not work out did it.

Around about now used to be the Lion Man in Bela Bela. You are missed. Magalies Monster seems to have survived though, as have a few other grass roots events.

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Stage racing was mostly just a huge deal in SA.

Even countries like Aus, NZ etc had a few a year. We had one every second week.

CX and XCO are the staple race format for anything off road. Easy to set up, easy for spectators, sponsors get good coverage as everything happens close to 'the hub'. Lots of foot traffic for all the disciplines all day. 

Mom and dad can bring the kids to watch whoever is racing without taking leave or driving 29 hours and it is a million times more spectator friendly.

In SA, as we have ALL the space and farrer is betterer, we obsessed over XCM and Stage Racing for way too long.

I used to race CX a lot when I was on the road. UK/Europe, Canada, NZ. It is the raddest form of racing. XCO a close second. Skill, red zone and the above spectator/logistic reasons make it rad. 

Getting back to the Cricket comparison.....

Short track would be more like The100

XCO - T20

XCM - ODI

Stage Racing - Test Matches

And a poop load of fun to race in (Disclaimer, I have only done 1 x XCO format race, in the SS category where the first rider got a beer, the second rider got two beers and the third rider got three beers .... everybody else got a beer and the last rider got a medal with his beer)