2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

I wonder if the decision was influenced by a lot of pro teams pulling out?

Epic has massive media coverage, without the top teams the viewer ratings might have gone down?.

From their press release https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/the-2020-race/the-official-statement-regarding-the-cancellation-of-the-2020-absa-cape-epic

“ Race founder Kevin Vermaak said: ‘I have taken this step with a heavy heart, but the health and safety of everybody involved in the event has to be paramount. ‘At 6pm today we received the formal advice from government.’ “

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sure the Epic organization has insurance to cover loss of income for this type of scenario. The question is at what point they can claim? I suspect the Western Cape Government guidance was it.

On the other side I really feel for the riders who now cannot participate this year. It’s a huge commitment (family, time, money, etc.) to get this far and not to be able to even start must be heartbreaking.

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

Extreme measures do need to be taken to stem the spread of the virus, sporting events are the first to go, common sense. That the thing about this: the asymptomatic spreading of it, that has wrecked havoc.

Bummer for all that have invested in this, where do they in terms of a cancellation of the event?  Must have been on the T&C.

Organisers should not suffer too much since they were paid in advance although money from sponsors might alter the equation but I am sure all bases have been covered in legal agreements.

From their press release https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/the-2020-race/the-official-statement-regarding-the-cancellation-of-the-2020-absa-cape-epic

“ Race founder Kevin Vermaak said: ‘I have taken this step with a heavy heart, but the health and safety of everybody involved in the event has to be paramount. ‘At 6pm today we received the formal advice from government.’ “

Has there been any official comment regarding entry fee refunds?

“ Event Changes & Cancellations

If the event, or any part thereof, is cancelled, postponed, shortened, or modified in any way, or if any of the amenities, goods, or services in relation to the event are no longer provided, whether due to force majeure, legal restrictions, disputes, safety reasons, failure by service providers to perform, or any other reason or cause, the entry fees and all other fees paid will not be refundable.”

https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/registered-riders/withdrawals--cancellations-

Some comments here are naive and ignorant - overreacting? People are dying and the rate of attrition is increasing

And don’t give the stats on other medical killers - this covid 19 is over and above that.

The internationals who stay around to tour may find they can’t get home in 2 weeks - borders are being shut

Erring on the side of caution is is the only option

I’d love to be wrong but understand people are dying of something that didn’t exist a few months ago

This affects everyone because whilst you may not get ill, you will face financial repercussions down the line

Last night we were told that only shops allowed to trade is supermarket and pharmacy. It’s been labeled a state of emergency and Everything else is closed like restaurants, cinema’s, schools and and and for the next 15 days but may be extended.

The other reference is that with regards to cycling is that they worried if you crash and go to hospital you take up valuable time and resources from the virus patients and staff.

I don’t mind chilling at home or walking in the forest here but there is no sport at all on TV which is rough. The positive is that I found out my wife’s favorite colour is pink after 20yrs together.

Hope to see full refunds and free entries for 2021 to everyone who entered for 2020.

I suppose that depends on whether or not their insurance covers this cancellation. They would have already incurred the bulkof their costs, so a full refund may not be appropriate.

If the event, or any part thereof, is cancelled, postponed, shortened, or modified in any way, or if any of the amenities, goods, or services in relation to the event are no longer provided, whether due to force majeure, legal restrictions, disputes, safety reasons, failure by service providers to perform, or any other reason or cause, the entry fees and all other fees paid will not be refundable.”

Don’t quote me but their insurance should kick in on this matter if Government shut it down or similar as they had a meeting with Government I am told yesterday. It is also a World wide health concern etc.

Otherwise they should do a costing, offer everyone from 2020 an option to have roll over entrant and see where they come out financially? Maybe with inflation you pay in 5k on a basic entry and race.

Will be interesting what they do here and how people react.

I don’t mind chilling at home or walking in the forest here but there is no sport at all on TV which is rough. The positive is that I found out my wife’s favorite colour is pink after 20yrs together.

HA HA HA HA HA HA 

I think you have to be a real optimist to think there's a chance of any refund

That’s me.... the eternal optimist

That’s a LARGE bitter pill for entrants to schluck

I can see a few threads about this between now and next years event

I vaguely recall Ironman events offering an extra insurance option for entry fee refunds if you could not take part.... wonder if CE had something similar?

I think most guys' personal insurance should cover this. I am with Cyclesure and they have a race cover product that I get with my bicycle insurance which should cover this - that is unless they have an Act of God or Pandemic clause such as the airlines do...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Now if yiu think this is unlikely, the Epic has a history or riders with diarrhea. The riders can't even maintain basic hygiene to prevent a spread of gypo guts.

Do you still think it's an over reaction?

Stage race guts was my first though too. Mass gatherings in tents have a history of outbreaks of otherwise trivial or easily managed illnesses - about half of Afrikaburn a few years ago managed to catch a nasty strain of Norovirus.

Add to that a bunch of snot rockets for a droplet-transmitted virus and I reckon they had no real choice but to can it.

I do feel sorry for everyone affected - riders, support crew, organisers etc - but I think the whole world is going to take a fat financial knock from this so to focus on just one event is a bit short sighted.

I think we will only know for sure in six months time if this was the right decision or not.

The irony being that if these wordwide sports cancelations helps to curb the spread ... then the ney-sayers will be saying it was an over reaction ....

frankly the alternate of taking the risk that these mega events, across the various sports across the globe, spreading the disease is just too risky.

If memory serves me ... you need an "event permit" to host something like the Epic .... the permit is issued days before the event, once they can demonstrate all things are in place ..... wonder if THIS is where the authorities stepped in, and cancelled the event(s).