2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

Bumped into a few Epic boys at Tokai on Saturday and yesterday at Bootleggers in Camps. They all seemed in fairly good spirits all thing's considered.

I'm supposed to be doing Sani in May and a France trip in June. Pretty sure both won't be happening.

i bumped into john smit at forries friday night.

he was doing his best to be chipper, and is constantly approached by random people -  the st patricks edition Guiness flowing seemed to be his coping mechanism.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They could have insurance in case the Government forces them to cancel. It could be tricky seeing that the "ban" on mass events only came into effect last night and they cancelled on Friday.

I would be curious to know how many big events would have this kind of insurance. My gut feel is that it is not as common as hubbers imagine. I know of at least 2 large events (not the Epic) that cancelled that incurred big losses and also weren't insured against this kind of thing.

Just clarifying, you have knowledge that a confirmed Corona car was going to be riding/attending epic?

confirmed means official so no it's not official but the source is reliable. I was contacted and asked if I was riding the ACE.

The reason for the question was as I described. This came from a medical practitioner. So clearly there is a network amongst them where they are communicating and sharing information to manage risk

Bumped into a few Epic boys at Tokai on Saturday and yesterday at Bootleggers in Camps. They all seemed in fairly good spirits all thing's considered.

I'm supposed to be doing Sani in May and a France trip in June. Pretty sure both won't be happening.

Sounds like you bumped into my Chaingang mates from the UK. They're having an interesting trip. Had to evacuate their accommodation last night due to the fire

Sounds like you bumped into my Chaingang mates from the UK. They're having an interesting trip. Had to evacuate their accommodation last night due to the fire

Yes. White tops with chaingang written on them.

Yes. White tops with chaingang written on them.

Yip that's them. 

They're keeping the brave face on though. Gavin has had some rotten luck wrt to the Epic. Last year he crashed coming down Groenlandberg so only rode 3.5 days of the race. This year he doesn't get to ride. Paid for two events and no finish yet. They're off to Stellies today for the week to go and enjoy some wine and trails in that order :)

Edited by DieselnDust

Yip that's them. 

They're off to Stellies today for the week to go and enjoy some wine and trails in that order :)

Hope they reverse the order.

Incredible that we put pressure on events to cancel, then go the pub the same night.....

hahahaha I am blown away by the flippancy or just sheer idiocy of some.

Schools closed so parents pack their kids up to go to the movies or MaccyD's play pens etc...

Event canceled? Pffft..... lets all go to the pub together! Booya!

If I was here touring I would board the soonest plane I could and go home. If South Africa infection rates explode (as is likely), you might just be stuck where you are for a really long time.

Schools closed so parents pack their kids up to go to the movies or MaccyD's play pens etc...

If I was here touring I would board the soonest plane I could and go home. If South Africa infection rates explode (as is likely), you might just be stuck where you are for a really long time.

I am getting on a place tonight!

Don't worry.. It's a world wide problem. We're meant to be in isolation and kids are having Corona parties and parents are arranging play dates, or even worse, sending them to grannies to be minded

Don't worry.. It's a world wide problem. We're meant to be in isolation and kids are having Corona parties and parents are arranging play dates, or even worse, sending them to grannies to be minded

Or when you relentlessly bemoan the Epic for putting pros at risk, then take the same pro Epic riders on a group coffee ride.... 

Edited by Patchelicious

They could have insurance in case the Government forces them to cancel. It could be tricky seeing that the "ban" on mass events only came into effect last night and they cancelled on Friday.

They met with council on Friday and was cancelled during that meeting.